PDA

View Full Version : Build a 6.5 creedmore or buy

Pages : [1] 2

justinf
12-27-2014, 12:29 PM
I would like to try out a 6.5 for longer range use. I have been doing a lot of reading and looking around, and thought I had made a decision. I was planning on going with the predator max 1 l, but it would seem they are out of stock everywhere. I had considered the lrp but if I'm going to spend almost $1000 I though I might be better of building. I have a 10 fcp in 308 that mainly just sits around. My thoughts are a criterion barrel, replace the Tupperware with a boyds, or something else, and possibly upgrade the trigger if I felt necessary. Hopefully I would end up with a better shooter than either of the factory rifles. What are your guys thoughts between waiting for a predator max, or converting my 308?

drybean
12-27-2014, 12:46 PM
That will work

jbjh
12-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Convert. Then you have a great rifle in two calibers!

jpdown
12-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Convert. You'll enjoy building your own custom rifle and how it shoots when your done.

justinf
12-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the insight guys! Looks like I'll be ordering some parts. Are the upgraded recoil lugs and barrel nuts worth adding?

upSLIDEdown
12-27-2014, 06:36 PM
I built my Creed from an Axis donor, and couldn't be happier. Boyd's stock, barrel from Jim @ Apache Gun Works, and a Vortex Viper PST. LOVE IT.

darkker
12-27-2014, 06:52 PM
If you don't shoot in real dusty stuff, & shot past 1k, I say stick with the 308. Finding impacts with the little 6.5mm's is tough compared to the 30's.

justinf
12-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Anyone have experience either the hornady dies, are the match grade worth the price difference.

justinf
12-27-2014, 07:08 PM
If you don't shoot in real dusty stuff, & shot past 1k, I say stick with the 308. Finding impacts with the little 6.5mm's is tough compared to the 30's.

I don't get much chance to shoot that far, I'd like to think I will but never seem to. It's plenty dusty around here in the summertime.

upSLIDEdown
12-27-2014, 07:12 PM
I have the regular new dimension dies and I like them just fine.

Darkker has a point though. The 308 will do anything the creed will do out to 1k. My reasoning for building the creed was I wanted something that would get me out farther, and buck the wind better while doing it. I've had it out to 1570 so far. If you're not shooting past 1k though, you may be better off just dusting off the 308 and giving it some trigger time. Unless, of course, you just wanna spend some cash and build something else for the heck of it. And if so, then by all means. This hobby/passion/addiction can be rather fierce at times. lol

justinf
12-27-2014, 07:21 PM
I have the regular new dimension dies and I like them just fine.

Darkker has a point though. The 308 will do anything the creed will do out to 1k. My reasoning for building the creed was I wanted something that would get me out farther, and buck the wind better while doing it. I've had it out to 1570 so far. If you're not shooting past 1k though, you may be better off just dusting off the 308 and giving it some trigger time. Unless, of course, you just wanna spend some cash and build something else for the heck of it. And if so, then by all means. This hobby/passion/addiction can be rather fierce at times. lol

You know you guys are probably right about the 308, but my wife okay'd another rifle for my birthday. She is getting more interested in shooting, so I thought something with a little less recoil but still good ballistics might be something she would try. I really have nothing in between the 308 and my 22lr's.

D.ID
12-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Anyone have experience either the hornady dies, are the match grade worth the price difference.

For standard dies they run circles around rcbs or redding.
I actually sold off almost all my green boxed dies and replaced them with hornady, for the money you can not beet them.
I also particularly appreciate there:
: tapered expander
: replacement decapping pin that is included with each set
: ability to accept a simple micrometer adapter to any of there seating dies
: the drop sleeve of there seating dies
Much like rifles, modular systems do not seam like a useful feature for dies.............. until you learn how to use them, then it's hard to do without.
The 6.5 is a great upgrade to the 308 no matter how you go about it but there will always be some advantage to building, a slightly different stock or a hand lapped barrel, even just a slightly longer or shorter barrel than standard can completely change the balance and handling.
On the other hand if the factory produces one in the configuration you would build anyway: nothing bad about factory. Most factory savage can still shoot better than there owner with just a little clean up and proper torque applied in the proper places.
P.S. I never lost sleep over the barrel nut but would not assemble or re-assemble a barrel to action without a "good" recoil lug. I never reuse the factory lug.

justinf
12-28-2014, 09:24 PM
For standard dies they run circles around rcbs or redding.
I actually sold off almost all my green boxed dies and replaced them with hornady, for the money you can not beet them.
I also particularly appreciate there:
: tapered expander
: replacement decapping pin that is included with each set
: ability to accept a simple micrometer adapter to any of there seating dies
: the drop sleeve of there seating dies
Much like rifles, modular systems do not seam like a useful feature for dies.............. until you learn how to use them, then it's hard to do without.
The 6.5 is a great upgrade to the 308 no matter how you go about it but there will always be some advantage to building, a slightly different stock or a hand lapped barrel, even just a slightly longer or shorter barrel than standard can completely change the balance and handling.
On the other hand if the factory produces one in the configuration you would build anyway: nothing bad about factory. Most factory savage can still shoot better than there owner with just a little clean up and proper torque applied in the proper places.
P.S. I never lost sleep over the barrel nut but would not assemble or re-assemble a barrel to action without a "good" recoil lug. I never reuse the factory lug.

sounds good I think I'll get a set ordered.

For an average shooter is there much noticeable difference between criterion, mcgowen, or shilen? I havent called NSS yet to see about his wait times, but I like the fact that McGowens ship within a week.

foxx
12-28-2014, 09:36 PM

For an average shooter is there much noticeable difference between criterion, mcgowen, or shilen? I havent called NSS yet to see about his wait times, but I like the fact that McGowens ship within a week.
Depends on who you're askin'. :) I don't think there's a nickel's bit of difference between them, but that's based solely on what I've read.
Another good source is Apache Gun Works. He'll make you one far cheaper than any of these and his regular customers swear by him. I do. But I am not a competitive long range shooter. Just another place to look. Maybe save $130 or so and put that towards your scope.

justinf
12-28-2014, 09:50 PM
I have looked into his, and may still give that a shot. It looks like he's stopped taking orders till later in January, so I guess I need to decide how badly I want to get started. Its getting plenty cold here in Wy, so I might not get much shooting done either way.

D.ID
12-28-2014, 11:18 PM

Have not tried criterion but read good things.
Have mcgowens and shilens and apache's all shooting neck and neck.
My very best barrel came from a shilen blank cut, turned, chambered and threaded by Jim at apache.....it's shooting in the low 0.1"s

justinf
01-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Has anyone tried out sin arms barrels? I've sent him a couple emails, but haven't heard back. I'm open to all options so I thought I'd give him a chance.

Utah Shooter
01-04-2015, 05:08 PM
This is a good question. I am trying to hold out for a rifle I cannot find either. Just curious though what one could do with 1000 dollars, as Justin stated?

justinf
01-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Does anyone have a source for barrel lugs that is open before the 10th (NSS) and doesnt want 10-15 dollars to ship something that would fit in an envelope?

foxx
01-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I'll send you one for free tomorrow if you replace it later.