PDA

View Full Version : Build a 6.5 creedmore or buy

Pages : 1 [2]

shooterfpga
01-06-2015, 09:47 PM
I'll send you one for free tomorrow if you replace it later.
Good deal. I love our members.

limige
01-06-2015, 09:50 PM
what do you want to use the rifle for?

I purchased a model 16 and dropped it into a boyds stock for a hunting rig. I wanted to keep it light but good shooting rig, I like what I have for what I use it for.

for target shooting I would build from the ground up. target action or predator action from NSS, heavy recoil lug and a quality aftermarket barrel, 22" and threaded in a heavy varmint taper or target taper. or go 26" if you don't want to use a brake or suppressor, if you are shooting 1k consistently the extra length is worth it for velocity.

hornandy dies are great for hunting and plinking, if you are serious about shooting 1k you may want to consider some neck sizers like whidden.

I love my rifle basix 2 trigger.

if you are serious about competing have the action and barrel trued up and have the smith chamber it.

best course depends on how you actually will use the gun and what you expect from it.

justinf
01-06-2015, 11:04 PM
I'll send you one for free tomorrow if you replace it later.

This site has to have one of the greatest groups of members I've ever been a part of, this is the second time this week someone has helped me out.

what do you want to use the rifle for?

I purchased a model 16 and dropped it into a boyds stock for a hunting rig. I wanted to keep it light but good shooting rig, I like what I have for what I use it for.

for target shooting I would build from the ground up. target action or predator action from NSS, heavy recoil lug and a quality aftermarket barrel, 22" and threaded in a heavy varmint taper or target taper. or go 26" if you don't want to use a brake or suppressor, if you are shooting 1k consistently the extra length is worth it for velocity.

hornandy dies are great for hunting and plinking, if you are serious about shooting 1k you may want to consider some neck sizers like whidden.

I love my rifle basix 2 trigger.

if you are serious about competing have the action and barrel trued up and have the smith chamber it.

best course depends on how you actually will use the gun and what you expect from it.

Right now I probably am not in the position to build a all out custom rifle, nor am I probably skilled enough yet to use one to its full potential. Right now I think a semi custom (nice barrel, and stock etc) will allow me to improve my skills at a price Im comfortable with. Mostly will only be used as a bench gun with the occasional varmint, predator, medium game.

limige
01-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Alot of ppl get looking on these sites and run out and buy a bull barrel. Unless you cut it to 18" I wouldnt do that unless it was strictly a bench gun.

If you plan to take it into the field have it tapered to 7/8". Its still extremely stout.

6.5 barrels are tough to find on the shelf at times. Call Jim at nss and see what he has on the shelf.

Welcome to the obsession

shooterfpga
01-07-2015, 06:57 PM
I like my barrels to taper at the muzzle from .730 to .875. Its heavy enough to do repeated rapid shots and not increase groups while still being lightweight.

jbjh
01-14-2015, 08:30 PM
The trick with shipping from NSS is to put a larger order in. Jim runs a very small shop - just him and his wife. Not enough to get a price break from shippers. Try to order everything in one shot