PDA

View Full Version : 240 WBY?

Pages : [1] 2

lostart
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I have been reading a little about this cartridge lately and it sounds really promising. Has anyone chambered their savage for the 240? I know the price of brass is terrible, but they shoot the 6mm bullets right? this could be really fun.

Eric in NC
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I sure would look at a 6mm-06 if I was wanting a super-duper 6mm. A lot cheaper to get up and shooting.

hcpyro13
04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Nobody needs a weatherby, the brass is expensive and there is always dozens of other choices that will be easier on barrels. Personally, I grew up shooting weatherbys and the first rifle I could call my own was a american made weatherby mk v. I love that rifle, yeah sure there are plenty of choices out there, but if you are interested in building one on a savage platform with the ease of replacing barrels I see no reason why you shouldn't toss heavy 6mm bullets at such fantastic speeds! If you are reloading, factory weatherby brass may not have nearly the lifespan of a 308 case but I have safely gotten 4-5 loadings on heavy 300 wby loads before the primer pockets started loosening up. It all comes down to what will make you happy, personally I've been thinking of building one of these up for my father since he is falling in love with my 260...

-HcP

Slowpoke Slim
04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
I knew a guy that had a 240 wby, it was a hunting rifle, he used it on pronghorns. Great rifle, super accurate. I doubt he shot 10 rounds out of it a year (probably more like 5). He had other rifles for hunting other critters, and for target shooting that he shot a lot. I don't know what your intended purpose for the rifle would be, target, hunting, varmints, or? But think of this, barrel life will be SHORT, so if you're wanting something to shoot high round counts with, I would think somewhere else.

I have a 257 wby mag (Weatherby rifle, not on a Savage), I use it for deer hunting, not target shooting. The barrel heats up on it FAST, I mean REALLY fast. You cannot shoot a 5 shot group out of it at one sitting, because by shot 4, the barrel is too hot to touch. That's starting with the barrel "cold". So I shoot 3 shots, and wait until the barrel cools down before I shoot the next 2. Fine for hunting big game, and for sight check, or load check, but not for a sitting at target shooting.

I would think the little 240 wby would heat up even faster...

Just my 2 cents worth (and you probably over paid).

lostart
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
By the off chance I decided to build one, I would hunt goats with it as well as some longer range white tail. My brother in law has every wby cartridge except this one and I know no one else that has one. Would it burn barrels faster than a swift or a varmint load in .243? I think that this would be unique and that is what strikes me. Especially in a savage. good discussion lets keep it going

Hammer
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Nobody needs a weatherby...

Now has that what we have come to. We must "need" something. Phooey. ;)

Have played with the 240 Weatherby since Weatherby made their first lefties.

Have also played with the 6mm/06 Mashburn.

Don't need either.

But either does do a number on prairie dogs under fifty yards.

Hammer
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Have had no problems handloading the 240 Weatherby.

Used to be able to get a five-die forming set that would convert 30/06 brass to a belted form which you could then form into 240 Weatherby.

With a custom made massive turret press and a little hydraulics, could have enough horsepower to progressively convert them at a rate of 500 per hour.

Wouldn't start with GI brass but with factory new.

Uncle Jack
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
If you want to have one of the ultimate 6mm "Bad Boys" and are willing to pay the price:

1. Expensive chambering. (few people have reamers)
2. Very expensive brass. (now considered obsolete)
3. Excessive barrel wear with repeated shooting.
4. Limited reloading data.

What the HeII, go for it. The most it can cost you is a new barrel after 600-700 shots.

If you are a bit more conservative, as I, think about a 6mm AI or a 6mm-06.

uj

Slowpoke Slim
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Good Lord Hammer!!

LOL!

You must really have a problem out there with charging bean bears, since you keep mentioning 50 yard shots.

Maybe I should come out there and bring my 338 win mag and my 375 H&H to help you eradicate the little buggers!

;D

lostart,

I think it boils down to powder capacity, powder burn rate, and how "over bore" the cartridge is. Granted, my 243 is on a heavier profile than my 257 wby, but the wby DEFINITELY heats at a much quicker rate. I've not loaded for the 240 wby, I know it's a smaller case than the 257, but I'd look at the powder burn rates. I mostly use slow powders, full charges and magnum primers in my 257. I think the smaller case of the 240 may help this out some, but I'd be willing to bet my 243 with 87 to 95 gr bullets will give me longer barrel life than the little wby 240 will. How many shots at a sitting are you planning on sending down range? Can you live with shooting 3 shots and setting it aside for a while and shooting something else?

Hammer
04-19-2010, 02:31 PM

We will one day accept the fact that barrels, dies, brass, etc are consumable items and need replacing with time.

Just like truck tires.

Only actions are enduring.

Have an 1895 cock-on-closing Mauser action that is ready for yet another 7 x 57 barrel.

Hammer
04-19-2010, 02:37 PM

I've had the bulls shake off 45 Colt loads from pointblank.

Need some serious loads to handle 'em.

Have been using the 585 Nyati on 'em but need to get some bonded-core partitions for better penetration.

Lesser rounds do OK on the females and the yearlings.

Why else are 308 FMJ so popular ?

hcpyro13
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Hammer, I like to stick with my 300 wby for those pesky groundhogs under 50 yds.... but I wouldn't mind giving a 240 wby a go!

lostart
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
hammer

I like the way you think.......barrels are expendable and are fairly reasonable in price. By the time i burned it out, I probably would be bored and ready for a change anyway.

I have a solution to knock those bulls down.....12ga slug...it should at least slow em down till you get to the pickup :D

Slowpoke Slim
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Hammer,

I still have some old 300 gr solids for my 375, you think one of those would at least turn them if they charged me?

If not, would you back me with your Nyati?

Hammer
04-19-2010, 03:11 PM

... barrels are expendable and are fairly reasonable in price...

From experience...

Know that Northlander, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Shaw, etc will sell you another one.

All they want is a little money (or plastic).

Heck, sometimes they will ship it out same day -- overnight Fedex guaranteed by 10 am.

Be shooting a new barrel by 10:30.

Hammer
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
I still have some old 300 gr solids for my 375...

You know they make 350 grain solids for the 375...

Hammer
04-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Rumor has it...

That some people shoot a whole five-shot group with the same barrel.

Cycler
04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
The 240 Wby is basically just a belted 6mm-06 so either that or the 6 mm-284 would march its ballistics and brass is more available and cheaper for either.

BobT
04-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I sure would look at a 6mm-06 if I was wanting a super-duper 6mm. A lot cheaper to get up and shooting.

This is the route that I took, using new Winchester .30/06 brass necked down I was able to gain 100 fps. above published .240 Weatherby velocities with good case life and great accuracy.

If you want the ultimate 6mm screamer try the 6mm Mach 4!

Bob

steveinwv
04-23-2010, 08:34 AM
6mm AI.