PDA

View Full Version : Long range 7-08

Pages : [1] 2

jraney
11-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Folks I need yalls thoughts on biulding a long range rifle on a stevens 200 SA. The caliber is going to be a 7-08. I know that there may be better choices but this is what I want. I want this gun to be the most efficient it can be at the farthest range possible for that caliber. It will be used as a deer rifle at distances out to 350yds but I want the gun to have the capability to reach out to competition distances if I choose to try that in the future. So what I need is your suggestions on barrel length, twist, contour perhaps, and optics. Thanks in advance I'm looking forward to reading what yall have to say.

wbm
11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
26" CBI Barrel, 1-9 Twist, Heavy Hunter Contour.

Bigdave1977
11-06-2014, 10:36 AM
I built a 26" .308 using a stevens action and a cbi light varmint. I love it, extremely accurate.

Dave

jraney
11-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Any suggestions on a good stock for the stevens 200.

jim_k
11-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Any suggestions on a good stock for the stevens 200.

Go to www.stockysstocks.com, and pick one based on the barrel contour you get. Most likely, if hunting is your main shooting, you will get a sporter contour, and have a couple of good choices in the range of $240. The action will need to be bedded; another $125. I ran those based on the short action with 4.40" spacing on the action screws (the newer actions). Then there is the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist, which has a larger barrel channel for heavier barrels; also under $250, and I would also get it bedded. The Tactical Medalist is an outstanding stock, but might be too large in proportion for usual hunting. It's not a weight issue, though, since these are relatively light. That stock would give you the option of putting on a heavier barrel in the future, but will look like loose britches with a sporter-weight barrel. Myself, I would not care; I love the Tactical Medalist stock.
Jim

stomp442
11-06-2014, 01:17 PM
7-08 is a fine choice for what you are wanting to do. I would look at pushing a 168 berger out of at least a 26" barrel to maximize potential of the cartridge.

jraney
11-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Alright thanks for the info.

LongRange
11-06-2014, 06:31 PM
hard to build a riffle for hunting and comps because a comp riffle is going to be heavy so id say a 28" bull if you want the most range out of it and deal with the weight when hunting.

Wildboarem
11-06-2014, 10:48 PM
26" CBI Barrel, 1-9 Twist, Heavy Hunter Contour.

+1
One doesn't need a 28" bull barrel and a heavy stock weighing 13lbs+ to shoot in a comp, assuming its a tactical long range and not an F-class type comp. If you ever decide to get really serious about comps then you will build a purpose built rifle for that. If it were me and I wanted to have both capabilities with that caliber I would load 162 gr Hornady SST for hunting and the 162 Amax for comp. You can a get little more velocity with the 162's since it doesn't quite have the capacity as most other 7mm. I wouldn't go heavier than a light varmint contour to keep weight down and a magnum contour on the light end.
A 3x15 range FFP optic should suffice and the stock options mentioned earlier are all good. There is the Boyd's Tacticool also. I believe the wood laminates should all be fairly light and definitely bed the action. I would go with PTG or CDI bottom metal. Good luck.

LongRange
11-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Most guys shooting in tac comps guns are weighing in right around the 12-14lb mark as most are shooting longer heavier barrels...at least in my neck of the woods... reason being is a heavy barrel shoots more consistent from cold to hot...I watched a kid call and shoot two back to back 550yd head shots with a 14.3lb 243AI from the standing position which he shoots all over the west coast in tac comps.A heavy riffle to me is over 16lbs but then im not a hunter or shooting in run and gun comps.

jraney
11-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Hey thanks for the info I appreciate it. I would really like to keep the gun shorter if possible. As far as weight, that's not that big of an issue to me being as all my shooting is done from a rest. My thoughts for the biuld were 20" heavy barrel good stock good glass. I know at 20" I will lose some velocity but that's fine. What do yall think about this idea. ?

Wildboarem
11-07-2014, 10:15 PM
If weight isn't an issue why shorten the barrel? You must have a reason.

LongRange
11-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Hey thanks for the info I appreciate it. I would really like to keep the gun shorter if possible. As far as weight, that's not that big of an issue to me being as all my shooting is done from a rest. My thoughts for the biuld were 20" heavy barrel good stock good glass. I know at 20" I will lose some velocity but that's fine. What do yall think about this idea. ?

Why would you go with a 20" barrel if you shoot from a rest? You REALLY need to do some research before you order your barrel.

kevwil
11-08-2014, 12:48 AM
I suspect you will be disappointed if you try to shoot long range with heavy bullets and 7mm-08 in a 20" barrel, the velocity will suffer quite a lot. But, I've never tried it myself, so ... grain of salt and all that.

CharlieNC
11-08-2014, 12:23 PM
It is easy to become disappointed with a compromise rifle if you are really serious about hunting and long range target shooting, depending on how you define the latter. If you only want to hit steel a couple of times a year then no problem; on the other hand if you are talking something like F Class then you will have problems. Why not get a low cost take-off sporter barrel for hunting season, and buy a nice aftermarket long/heavy one that is best suited for targets.

Wildboarem
11-08-2014, 10:22 PM
I bought my wife a 116 WEATHER WARRIOR LH for the action to build her a LR rig. I kept the 7mm RM barrel and composite stock (hinged floor plate). I put a Rock Creek .243 1/8 twist Light Palma contour barrel on it and set in a Choate Varmint Stock. Spent this past Summer doing load development for Long range shoots. I plan on switching back to the factory stock and barrel and developing loads for hunting for her. The swap takes about 30-45 min. Two single purpose rifles (big game hunting, long range tactical) in one platform. Best of both worlds.

jraney
12-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Hey guys thanks for the input. The reason I wanted the 20" barrel was simply for easier usage. I'm not against having a heavy gun. I do not shoot comp and probably never will. I do on the other hand like the idea of having the capability to reach way out. Just to be clear not going to shoot deer or anything bigger than coyotes at long range. Matter of fact the gun will probably never be shot farther than 400yds. I do really like a gun with a heavy barrel. I know looks don't make a gun shoot any better but we all know looks do matter.

7stwluvr
12-18-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm currently building a rifle to fill a need about what you are doing. I'm using a surgeon action. Went with a kriger #5 contour 1:9 twist. I'm going to have it cut to 20.5" I plan to use a can some. And the caliber I chose was 7mm-08 imp. Good balance and the increased velocity will help counteract the shorter tube. Hoping to get an honest 3100 fps with 140gn barnes ttsx. I'll have a lighter weight rifle I can pack on high country mule deer hunts or go shoot I'm comp style matches (purely for fun) going with a McMillan gamescout stock. (Last part I need to send it to smith) should have it in late march or April. With the glass and rings I hope it comes in under 9lbs sans suppressor.

GaCop
12-19-2014, 03:27 PM
hard to build a riffle for hunting and comps because a comp riffle is going to be heavy so id say a 28" bull if you want the most range out of it and deal with the weight when hunting. +1, That's what I used when I built my 7-08 only I used a long action so I could seat bullets out as far as I wanted and used a single shot follower for my bench rig.

jraney
12-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Can you folks refresh my memory on head spacing without a no go gauge. Please also blind mag removal from the old stock. Thanks.