PDA

View Full Version : Long range 7-08

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
12-20-2014, 11:29 AM
For the mag removal, just put a thin, flathead screw driver under the tab of the L clip and twist. It should work its way out. Gotta work it a little.

You can use a full-length sized case for your go gauge, then add a piece of cellophane tape or masking tape on the base of it to make it a no-go. If you have a real go gauge, you can make it a no-go the same way.

Tighten barrel and nut down with the go-gage in the chamber. Remove the go-gage and try again with no-go. The bolt should start to close but not go all the way down. (Of course, if you force it against the tape, it will close. Just make sure the handle does not close more than 1/2 way down with normal pressure.)

mattri
12-20-2014, 09:20 PM
FWIW I had this idea a few years ago. After going over the numbers a thousand times and running ballistic calcs a thousand more I decided to build a long range 7mm-08.

I went with a 30" bull barrel on a PTA, custom stock to support the barrel and balance the weight, entire package weighed in at nearly 30 lbs.

And it shot pretty well, eventually.

What a pain in the ass to tune/load for. I've never had a round NOT come together like that one.

Am working with a 7WSM at the moment and will never look at a 7-08 again. For all the time, aggravation, time, irritation, time, money, time, frustration and time I spent on that round you can have it.

To do it all over again I would build a .308, and that's from a guy that has sworn to never build a .308.

The 7mm-08 looks perfect on paper and is a great hunting round but in all honesty the theoretical/hypothetical advantages over a .308/.243 just aren't worth the hassle.

YMMV and best of luck.

jraney
12-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info fellas.

jraney
12-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Hey folks I'm think that for a scope I'm gonna go with a Nikon monarch 3 with a mil-dot reticle. Unless yall have something better that is similar in design and close to or cheaper in price.

jraney
01-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Ok folks. Here's what I've got. Stevens 200 sa 308 bolt face. I thought real hard about doing this biuld in 7mm08 with a 20" barrel. Now after some others opinions I'm wondering with the info I've given what are some other suggestions. I'm looking for the absolute best in range and accuracy. I would like to stay with factory loaded ammo so the ackley cartridges are out. So once more. The best short action cartridge that will deliver the best accuracy at the farthest ranges. I can go to a longer barrel if need be but would like to stay short. Thanks

noisewaterphd
01-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Check out this compelling argument for .284win (still factory ammo produced) http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html
I have always loved the .284 Winchester. I still shoot my original lever action, and I built a custom bolt gun a few years ago. You can really coax a lot more out of this caliber if you handload though. I consider this the 'original short mag'

6.5 Creedmoor also sounds good for you with good factory ammo selections.

noisewaterphd
01-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Don't rule out the .243 either, there are amazing 6mm bullets available these days.

I'm going to plug the 6.5x284 norma as well.

You can technically get factory ammo for it, and you could build it in a short action.

I would never do either of those things, but something to think about.

noisewaterphd
01-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Hey folks I'm think that for a scope I'm gonna go with a Nikon monarch 3 with a mil-dot reticle. Unless yall have something better that is similar in design and close to or cheaper in price.

Scopes are hard. Just make sure that Monarch has enough internal adjustment to shoot the ranges you plan to shoot. As long as that checks out, and you like the scope, then go for it.

It sucks to find out while you are in the field, that you only have 44moa total adjustment, and a flat base. It's going to be fun trying to hold over that 1000yd target.

I wouldn't get too overly concerned about this though, I've shot plates at a thousand using the BDC circles on a 3-9 prostaff. I certainly wouldn't try to compete like that though. So, to each his own.

Robinhood
01-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Don't rule out the .243 either, there are amazing 6mm bullets available these days.

Consider this in a 26" and have it set back when your done