PDA

View Full Version : 110 BA in 338 Lapua Mag

Pages : [1] 2

jpeoples
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Has anyone either placed an order for the 110 BA in 338 Lapua Mag or has anyone be able to acquire a 110 BA.

We have had one on order since February 24, 2010 and have no idea when the rifle will be shipped.

dnuke146
04-09-2010, 01:31 AM
My dealer told me that RSR has them, in stock I believe.

Doug

dnuke146
04-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Hopefully this is ok to say, if not, I'll claim "I'm new". But there's one on gunbroker for $1,750.00

jpeoples
04-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Many thanks,

My gunsmith buys through AcuSport and he is calling them tomorrow for a status.

jpeoples
05-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Our 110 BA in 338 LP was received by our gunsmith, Bolsa Gunsmithing on the 13th. During the 10 day waiting period we have to go through before we can pick it up, Bolsa is going to mount the Nightforce scope and Barrett BORS ranging system. Bolsa will also put 50 rounds of factory 250gr HBPT through the barrel as part of the sighting in process.

We pick the rifle up on May 24th.

Finally.....

Eric in NC
05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
"Our"? Are you a co-owner? How does that work as far as the law goes?

50 rounds also sounds like a lot for sighting in doesn't it? Hope you enjoy it when you get it though!

hank440
05-14-2010, 08:45 PM
and 10 day waiting period for a rifle ? what commie state is that so I can avoid it ;D

sinman
05-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I hate to see that bill for sighting it in, I would love to sight it in though haha

jpeoples
05-15-2010, 06:24 PM
50 rounds isn't that much (HSM 250 gr Scenar HPBT ammo at $2.91 per round = $145.50). when you consider that it includes zeroing the Nightforce scope and programming the Barrett BORS for 300 and 250 gr HPBT factory ammo it is worth it. The person doing the sighting in is very well qualified to sight the scope and program the BORS more so than I (he does it for a living) He will also write a review based on his experience with the 110 BA that I will publish on my forum site. I will add additional programming to the BORS for the reloads I develop.

And yes, I am the only owner.

We live in California where the California Department of Justice requires the buyer of a firearm to fill out a DROS (Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm) form which is followed by a 10 day waiting period between time of purchase and actual possession. I completed the cash transaction on May 14th at 11:24AM so I cannot take possession until May 24th at or after 11:24AM. It is even worse for handguns where the state only allows you to buy one handgun in a thirty day period.

hank440
05-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Go east young man, haven't you heard Kalifornia is bankrupt both morally and fiscally. :o ;D :o

Donald McMullin
05-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Many thanks,

My gunsmith buys through AcuSport and he is calling them tomorrow for a status.

Good to hear that Acusport is receiving these rifles for distribution. I have had one of these ordered since late February through my local dealer who placed the order with Acusport.

I am still waiting, as of yesterday, Acusport said they have not received any. Interesting that your's was shipped from Acusport.

jpeoples
05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
All that I know is that my 110 arrived at my dealer's shop on May 13th. I can check with the dealer and try to find out where it was shipped from if that would help.

Donald McMullin
05-19-2010, 04:15 PM
All that I know is that my 110 arrived at my dealer's shop on May 13th. I can check with the dealer and try to find out where it was shipped from if that would help.

Any help in locating one would be appreciated.

jpeoples
05-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Contacting Acusport will not help since they only want to deal with the retail dealer and not individual customers. Start by asking your dealer the name and number of the Savage Rep that he works with and call the rep and ask him for a 110 BA/338 LM delivery schedule for your dealer. (Work the process backwards). Ask the Savage Rep to contact Acusport to try and get a delivery schedule for your dealer. You have to be persistent and just keep on calling. It seems that the demand for the 110 BA is greater than expected so Savage is producing and shipping them as quick as possible.

Donald McMullin
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you for the information.

Donald McMullin
05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Our 110 BA in 338 LP was received by our gunsmith, Bolsa Gunsmithing on the 13th. During the 10 day waiting period we have to go through before we can pick it up, Bolsa is going to mount the Nightforce scope and Barrett BORS ranging system. Bolsa will also put 50 rounds of factory 250gr HBPT through the barrel as part of the sighting in process.

We pick the rifle up on May 24th.

Finally.....

I will be interested in finding out how it shoots using either Sierra or Lapua bullets with the 9:1 twist. Calculations indicate high stability numbers and increased spin drift. Let us know what your findings are.

scaxeman
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I will be interested in finding out how it shoots using either Sierra or Lapua bullets with the 9:1 twist. Calculations indicate high stability numbers and increased spin drift. Let us know what your findings are.

I finally got the production version of the 110BA rifle in last week. I had only time for the most cursory load test before heading out to the Charlotte NRA show, but early tests show *very* promising results with the new Berger 300 grain "hybrid" bullets. They are long bullets, so the 1:9 seems to work very well for them.

Darrell

Donald McMullin
05-20-2010, 02:49 PM

I finally got the production version of the 110BA rifle in last week. I had only time for the most cursory load test before heading out to the Charlotte NRA show, but early tests show *very* promising results with the new Berger 300 grain "hybrid" bullets. They are long bullets, so the 1:9 seems to work very well for them.

Darrell

Darrell, what about the loaded length of the cartrige using the Berger 300gr bullet; (1) is it too long for the magazine?, and (2) what the length of the bullet jump from the lands??

scaxeman
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Darrell, what about the loaded length of the cartrige using the Berger 300gr bullet; (1) is it too long for the magazine?, and (2) what the length of the bullet jump from the lands??

Donald,

For starters, the magazine was well thought out, it has plenty of room. By my measurements, I get the internal magazine dimension at 3.775". If I were to load the Berger 300's so they touch the lands, the OAL (meplat) would be ~3.727". This is approximate due to the variation present in any bullet's length measurement from base to meplat (between .002" and .007" or more, depending on the manufacturer and bullet type). This would allow me to load to the lands and still have close to .050" extra room in the magazine.

As it happens, I chose to jump the Bergers .030". This gives me close to .080" clearance in the mag.

Of course, I never measure OAL (meplat). OAL (ogive) is a much more repeatable number and will give you vastly more consistent seating depths. For my comparator tool (with a .338 insert), I get that OAL (ogive) to the lands would be 2.824". With my .030" jump (taking advantage of the "hybrid" nose profile), my seated OAL (ogive) is 2.794"

As aforementioned, my load workup is just beginning, I tried 90 grains of Retumbo, and just loaded up some 91 grain loads to see how they perform.

Darrell

Donald McMullin
05-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Darrell:

Thank you for all of the information. The details about the mag length capacity was helpfull, and the details as to your experience with the bullet seat depth and the relationship to the throat.

More than I expected.

Deep Enough