PDA

View Full Version : stock for savage target action

Pages : [1] 2

cwop
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
is there anyone else making a stock for the new savage target action? i talked to stockys and they say b and c doesnt make one.

any advice out there?

thanks

bob

savageboy
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I went withe SSS LRBR after a very long search. You cannot touch the features/ quality for the money anywhere. I looked at Russo, etc.

pdog06
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
B&C doesnt make it especially for the target action, but any short action CENTERFEED stock will fit the target action (except the dual port model). You just dont use the middle action screw on the target action.

Stocky's has told people this will not work, but if you like I can get pictures of a RB/LP action in a centerfeed Medalist stock to prove it will fit. It drops right in. The front and rear screw spacing on a target action measures the same 4.400" as a centerfeed action. I believe the reason they say it wont work is because there is no pillar for the middle action screw, but alot of people say that screw isnt really needed anyway. If you really want that screw you can just install a 3rd pillar and fill in the magbox opening in the stock.. Not too hard.

Other options for pre-made stocks are HS Precision. Or you can get custom laminates from SSS or Joel Russo, or a composite from Stockade. Any of the custom ones are gonna have a long wait time though, so be prepared and know that going in.

cwop
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
pd

thanks i iwll get one on order. do you like the green one with black webbing?

thanks

bob

pdog06
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, I do like the Green with black webbing. I also have the black, and used to have a gray w/black web, and like every one of them. Never had a tan w/ black web, but might own one very soon...

Make sure you get one for a centerfeed action(4.400" spacing). Dont even bother telling them it is for a target action.

acasto
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Bought an A5 laminate stock from Joel Russo. Nicest stock, and a nice guy to deal with.
You can't go wrong with one of his stocks. The inletting was first class.
Put my Savage RBLP target action on it.
Look here. http://russoriflestocks.com/

allan1066
04-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Helen at Richards assures me that they do stocks for the new 3 screw target action so I have now ordered one.

http://rifle-stocks.com

McKinneyMike
04-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Bought an A5 laminate stock from Joel Russo. Nicest stock, and a nice guy to deal with.
You can't go wrong with one of his stocks. The inletting was first class.
Put my Savage RBLP target action on it.
Look here. http://russoriflestocks.com/

10 stars for Russo Stocks! Simply no finer job of inletting on the planet. Incredible work. I will never buy any other non-composite stocks from any other source, period!

savageboy
04-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Love Russo Stocks and Joel is one of the nicest guys out there. They are pricey- when I added up everything I wanted on the stock, It was double the SSS. I was already over budget, so I went w/ SSS. If $ were no object, I would own a Russo now.

TOO Builder
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, Joel does a very nice job on shaping and inletting. I am working on my fourth stock from him right now, just waiting on the barrel so I can do the bedding job. If you want a stock with wood other than a laminate he is the go-to guy. BTW: that is my Swede on his home page in the upper right corner.

That is good to here about the centerfeed Medalist working for the target actions. Another good option available.

cwop
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
well i ordered my medalist from stockeys today. they had one in green in stock!!!!

now to get my 20 practical barrel and target action in from jim briggs and let the fun begin.

bob

pdog06
04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
What contour barrel you goin with? On my buddies the 1" bull barrel just BARELY touched the stock at about the last 3 inches of the barrel channel. 5 minutes of sanding took care of it.

cwop
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
cant recall but i think its a bull barrell.

bob

cwop
04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
one other thing regarding these b@c stocks. i called b@c for info and they claimed the target action would not fit their stock. wonder how many sales they have missed by them not knowing their own product.

crazy stuff!!!

bob

pdog06
04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
one other thing regarding these b@c stocks. i called b@c for info and they claimed the target action would not fit their stock. wonder how many sales they have missed by them not knowing their own product.

crazy stuff!!!

bob

I actually mentioned to them on the phone a while ago that it would fit, but I guess they wont tell people that since the middle screw cant be used.. Dont know. If it were me Id let them know that it could be used if they wanna fore-go that middle screw. You are right, sure they have missed alot of sales due to that, cause every other stock that is listed just for a target action is atleast $100+ more.

cwop
04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
the stupid girl on the phone didnt know anything and she wouldnt transfer me over to whoever is in charge! this sort of stuff just really irratates me after 50 years in sales and retail. frankly stockeys is just as bad.

this is why i never wanted to grow my business as i made more money handling all my own business and i didnt have to worry about this sort of stuff.

bob

pdog06
04-10-2010, 10:47 AM
doubt she was really stupid, but just there to take orders, figuring most people know what they want when they order. Atleast it is easy to get a hold of them. Dont know why she wouldnt transfer you to somebody to answer a question she didnt know though. Im sure there is some reason they say it wont fit, probably because if they did people will order it and be mad when it doesnt have the third pillar. No big deal to your and I, but sure theres people out there that would complain about it. I guess "technically" it isnt a "direct drop-in" stock for it, even though it will fit.
Maybe some liability reason if they tell people not to use the one action screw too.

BTW, I accept no responsibility if something happens for not using that screw...LOL

cwop
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
well its pretty bad when the manufacture itself wont either listen or even want to talk to a consumer.

there had to be someone in charge at b@c wouldnt you think?

bob

tenwalker
04-11-2010, 03:42 AM
This a good example of why I am having Joel do my stock. It may be a little more money but there is no frustration. :-* ::) ;D

McKinneyMike
04-11-2010, 04:56 AM
This a good example of why I am having Joel do my stock. It may be a little more money but there is no frustration. :-* ::) ;D

AMEN! Plus the quality level is worth the extra cost to me. Nothing like holding a rifle that it truly one of a kind. I got my new stock blank laminated and ready to go to Joel come Monday. I can't wait to see the finished stock ;D