PDA

View Full Version : stock for savage target action

Pages : 1 [2]

cwop
04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
all well and good but i have a little story. it seems that my friend could hit the heck out of ducks with his cheap lc smith. his friend couldnt hit squat he had a lot of money. so he goes and gets him a browning superposed top of the line. guess what he still couldnt hit squat.

ill let you fellas figure this out.

bob

McKinneyMike
04-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Not saying otherwise. I simply like to have a one off stock for my rifles. Does it make me a better shooter? Probably not. Do I like it better? Yes I do. This is a hobby for me and as such, I like things that are somewhat unique. It is not like I am spending a kings ransom for a stock :) To each their own.

joseph
04-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Stockade makes excellent stocks. This is the Savage Duel Port Target Action Kevin built for me. His stocks weigh about half as much as wood laminated stocks do.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=366263&highlight=

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

joseph

McKinneyMike
04-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Joseph,

Exactly how "bad" was the rough finished stock from Stockade? I mean how much filler was required to smooth out the imperfections? I am interested in one of their Super Saver stocks, but curious as to the amount of filler required to smooth the rough casting. I want to have this stock painted and do not want a lot of bondo that could chip out in the future. Thanks for your input.

joseph
04-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Joseph,

Exactly how "bad" was the rough finished stock from Stockade? I mean how much filler was required to smooth out the imperfections? I am interested in one of their Super Saver stocks, but curious as to the amount of filler required to smooth the rough casting. I want to have this stock painted and do not want a lot of bondo that could chip out in the future. Thanks for your input.

Maybe a a teaspoon of filler. It was the first time I ever did a stock and the most time I spent was about 3 hours and it was a lot of fun doing it. Very easy job to do.

joseph

McKinneyMike
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Cool. That is way better than I expected to hear! Just did not want big patches of bondo that might be prone to popping out over time.

joseph
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Cool. That is way better than I expected to hear! Just did not want big patches of bondo that might be prone to popping out over time.

Talk to Kevin about bedding your barreled action. He knows his stuff. I let him do what he thought was best and it is a tack driver. My barrel is a heavy straight taper. He bedded mine about 4 inches in front of the barrel nut.

joseph