PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor grouping issues

Pages : [1] 2

ToddSigler
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
I purchased a Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor and mounted a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 scope on it. I took it to the range monday to zero it and it was by far the worst out of box rifle I have ever shot. I was shooting factory 120gr GMX Hornady Superformance just to get a good group. At 100 yards it was literally a 6 inch shot group.

I have contacted Savage and am waiting to hear back from them, but figured I would see if anyone else has experienced or knows someone who has experienced the same problems?

homefrontsniper
06-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Superformence is junk!
6" groups in my les bar 24" super V.
6" in my DPMS 24"

Load up
44gr H-4350
123 scenars
Hornady brass
CCI BR.S
Kissing the lands
M.V. 3030/3020

142 SMK Kissing
42gr H4350
M.V. 2830/2820

homefrontsniper
06-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Or front screw pushing on barrel/your egw 20 moa???? ?
Not torqued right 25inch lbs/ 45 inch lbs/ 65 inch lbs???
My 6.5 is torqued at 65 inch lbs . It was 25 both work???? ?
Got a bad one? I got a bad FPC. .308 the barrel. Looked like someone rifled it with a rock???

1S1K
06-16-2014, 02:15 AM
My 6.5 CM would not group well with the Superformance either, but it lays them on top of eachother with the 120gr. A-MAX.

LoneWolf
06-16-2014, 02:27 AM
Remember the 12 LRP is a precision rifle and should probably be fed good quality match ammo. It could be one of the ones made on a Friday afternoon or something, but I would try some better ammo first.

limige
06-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Recent 140 amax loads havent been good fyi. Hot loads some people are seeing pressure signs. Reload or try the 120 amax

OMGTKK
06-18-2014, 02:21 AM
If you do a little research you'll see that there are a few threads on several forums about this. My 6.5 LRP is back at Savage being worked on as I type. Several people have reported chambers being cut too tight and too short. If you chambered a factory 140 Amax on my gun, then ejected it unfired, you would see deep axial scratches along the bullet aft of the ogive. On one round it actually pulled the bullet out of the casing when I ejected it. Others have reported the same. Obviously a very sloppy job cutting the chamber. Mine is supposed to ship back to me this week. We'll see how well Savage addresses this problem for me. Not everyone has gotten a satisfactory resolution.

troutmaster
06-18-2014, 11:59 PM
I purchased a Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor and mounted a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 scope on it. I took it to the range monday to zero it and it was by far the worst out of box rifle I have ever shot. I was shooting factory 120gr GMX Hornady Superformance just to get a good group. At 100 yards it was literally a 6 inch shot group.

I have contacted Savage and am waiting to hear back from them, but figured I would see if anyone else has experienced or knows someone who has experienced the same problems?
Just wondering how you made out with your rifle. I have the same rifle in a 260 rem and it shoots pretty good but I am using hand loads. I hope if you have a problem with your rifle they fix it. But have you tried some different ammo? I hate to see people spend money and get junk. That happens a lot these days.

lucky_13
06-20-2014, 10:12 AM
I have a savage 12 LRP in 260 back at savage now because it was shooting approximately 36 inches right at 100 yards. I had a Vortex Viper PST on it and I ran out of horizontal adjustment and was still 3-4 inches off bull. Not impressed so far with factory savage rifles, but I hope they will send me back a tack driver.

Kill N Grill
06-20-2014, 11:53 PM
WOW. One trip to range with a high dollar rifle and scope with one box of, sorta ok, ammo. I can't hit a barn door so the Savage is a piece of junk. I am calling them to give them a piece of my mind. Can't be the shooter. Can't be the scope mount that was done. Can't be the ammo. Can't be the brand new barrel with 10 rounds thru it. ETC........ Savage should shoot one hole no matter what. If it don't doesn't it's junk because there could be no other reason.
How I love Trolls and rich kids.

Colter
06-21-2014, 12:36 AM
I had the same problem with my LRP leaving marks on the bullets. Try cleaning the chamber area really good. Mine was dirty dirty! Gun was flinging shots all over and now that we scrubbed it real good, no marks on bullets and shooting .5" groups all day.

lucky_13
06-21-2014, 02:23 AM
WOW. One trip to range with a high dollar rifle and scope with one box of, sorta ok, ammo. I can't hit a barn door so the Savage is a piece of junk. I am calling them to give them a piece of my mind. Can't be the shooter. Can't be the scope mount that was done. Can't be the ammo. Can't be the brand new barrel with 10 rounds thru it. ETC........ Savage should shoot one hole no matter what. If it don't doesn't it's junk because there could be no other reason.
How I love Trolls and rich kids.

There are a lot of people that never post or stop coming to this forum because of posts like yours. You nor I have no idea what the original poster's shooting history is. He could have described his first rifle or he could be a pro and you would never know it. I know this is a site dedicated to savage, but Savage has problems from time to time. It seems especially so lately with their LRP line. Post how you like, but I hope you decide to start being constructive. What you have said in this thread hasn't been helpful to anyone.

Kill N Grill
06-21-2014, 09:22 AM
There are a lot of people that never post or stop coming to this forum because of posts like yours. You nor I have no idea what the original poster's shooting history is. He could have described his first rifle or he could be a pro and you would never know it. I know this is a site dedicated to savage, but Savage has problems from time to time. It seems especially so lately with their LRP line. Post how you like, but I hope you decide to start being constructive. What you have said in this thread hasn't been helpful to anyone.
Guess reading comprehension is a major problem also. I posted multiple reasons for a poor range session. Guess you missed them. I may have omitted the troll rich kid comment but that is the way it came across to me. Seen it many times. $1000 rifle + $1800 scope + mounts and yada, hey lets see how a box of $10 ammo will shoot out of it. That usually does not happen with an experienced shooter. Most experienced shooters that shoot factory ammo know that it may take several different brands and weights to determine what will shoot best out of a rifle. No 2 are alike. Never mind the fact that it may take a couple boxes of ammo down the tube to get it to it's potential. Guess I should have stroked his ego a little and said Yep the Savage is junk. Gotta be their fault. Every one of them is trash go buy a Remmy and it will shoot bug holes especially if you strap a Nightforce to it.

blittle
06-21-2014, 03:57 PM
I sent my lrp back to savage to be checked out I had axial scratches along bearing surface when the round is ejected without firing. They are sending me a new one cause they damaged it. Mine didnt group really well.

243LPR
06-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I feel your pain with your LRP. I finally got tired of wasting components and re-barreled my LRP 243 with a McGowen in 243 AI.

homefrontsniper
06-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Show pics. Of scratches ..please

SKIPRO
08-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Exact same with my LRP 6.5.

SKami
08-23-2014, 02:46 PM
I had an issue as well-with a .260 - Savage replaced the barrel, etc. it now shoots very well. It seems there may have been an issue with a lot of 6.5's. Hope you got it straightened out.

Grayfox
08-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I bought a LRP260 last year. Sent it back to Savage because I could only get 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. It took three months and three different barrels were tried on the rifle. Finally they said it was the HS Precision stock and opened up the barrel channel. So I called HS Precision and talked to them about it. They said to torque the screws to minimum of 65 inch pounds and go higher if needed. Also said there was nothing wrong with there stock. I agree with them as you will see later. Now I got my rifle back from Savage and it still did not shoot great. Then I bought Tubb's bullet kit to polish up the barrel.50 bullets of five different grits. That did improve my groups as I had one three shot 1/2" group. Lapping the barrel did work and I was happy with the results of the Tubb kit. Now the only problem was the last four inches of the barrel by the muzzle. As I ran a tight cleaning patch from the chamber to muzzle you really could tell the last four inches were a lot tighter. No barrel with this much variation is going to be a long range precision barrel. I did OK at NRA 600 yard prone with it but it was very heavy to hold. This winter I took off the barrel and sold it. Bought a 26" Criterion heavy varmint barrel in 260 Rem Match chamber. My second try at 600 yard Bench Rest Match I shot a3.614" five shot group. This was the best of four groups I shot. The HS Precision stock was not the problem as you can see. As I see I am not alone in getting a bad barrel from Savage on there LRP Rifle. My only complaint about this rifle is they advertise this as a Precision rifle it should be a precision rifle. It cost me $350 more to get the Precision part of LRP. Now I am very happy with it.
Grayfox

OMGTKK
08-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I just came home from a 2 day precision rifle course. I took my 12LRP 6.5 Creedmoor, but wasn't planning on shooting it because of the consistency issues I have been having with it since I got it. I planned on shooting my 10FCP-K and using the 12 as a back-up. While discussing the issues I was having with the poorly cut chamber and accuracy with the instructors, one of them took the gun and squeezed the stock and barrel towards one another with his fingers. Sure enough, the forend is extremely flimsy and contacted the barrel with just finger pressure. So if I was loading the bipod I could induce stock/barrel contact and possible shift my groups. If you have one of these guns with the HS Precision stock, check yours. Mine is much more flexible than even the accustock on my model 10. I shot the 6.5 through the course being conscious of how I loaded the stock and did very well. Tomorrow I'm going to get the drum sanders out and hog out the barrel channel to compensate for the lack of stiffness in the forend., Can't say I'm at all impressed with the HS stock and certainly won't ever consider buying one for another rifle. I'll take the rifle to the range next weekend and shoot for groups. I'll report back.