PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor grouping issues

Pages : 1 [2]

scythefwd
08-23-2014, 08:11 PM
is the fore end hollow? would filling it with an epoxy of some sort help (then of course going through with a sander to hog it back out to correct dimensions?

SKami
08-23-2014, 08:46 PM
The thing is that I had an LRP THAT WOULDNT shoot worth a crap-I started a thread here for answers-most said I was nuts. I'm doing something wrong! Anyway, I sent it back to Savage, got a rebarrel, and stumbled into Berger 140 grn lr hp BT's. It's very accurate, and a lot of of fun. The LRP H-S Precision is not the most rigid, but I'd doubt it's touching the barrel, even, after getting hot, I've tested it for clearance. It's very accurate,And very predictable-it lives up to its name. There are always gonna be some that aren't great, and maybe more LRP's than should be, but squeeze a wood stocked gun the same way, and you'll see how "rigid" they are. I'm no expert, but since mine has been "fixed"- it's been awesome.

scythefwd
08-23-2014, 08:50 PM
wood stocks will do that too.. skami is right on that.

macguru
08-24-2014, 04:42 AM
Your rifle is inaccurate because you have a bad barrel. Some savage barrels are excellent and some are terrible, I have had both. My 6.5mm barrel was the worst the gunsmith had ever seen. I rechambered the rifle with a broughton 30" SS 8 twist in 260AI and it now groups under 1/2moa at 1000 yards. I have a choate tactical stock, nightforce 20moa rail and nightforce BR 12-42 scope. Only the action is original. I love that rifle, now ....