PDA

View Full Version : Ok, whats with all the hype on the Ruger American??

Pages : [1] 2

1983Weatherby
05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
I am curious if anyone on this board actually owns one and can give me the skinny... I go shooting fairly often, but browse the local sportsman and cabelas stores more frequently (mainly for reloading components) and I keep running into people who are raving about the accuracy of these rifles. They tell me they will clover leaf at 200 meters with just a $200 scope. One guy today was telling me he can shoot 20 or so shots in 30-06 caliber before accuracy starts to diminish... This just sounds insane for a $360 rifle.

Any info from real world experience would be nice. It's hard to believe info at a gun store where the store sells the guns they are talking about...

I did meet a guy at the range who bought 3 of them because he was so impressed... He bought one for his son, his brother in law and one for himself. He was shooting a Kimber custom that was 3k. So his story seemed more plausible as most guys who own expensive guns don't ever seem to go back to cheap ones unless there is a reason.

tufrthnails
05-23-2014, 06:27 PM
No one shooting them that well at the range I go too. Best group the guy next to my with his 30-06 american was over 2". He about dropped a brick when I slung a touching 4 shot group with the Fusions. I have heard no first hand accts of them being under MOA. My cousin has a .243 american and despises the thing. More then likely unless you actually see the groups it is a just brand boasting.

sixonetonoffun
05-23-2014, 07:56 PM
They are a tough sell. I think the one to watch is the Remy 783 if the.reciever wasn't so fugly I would buy one. The American seemed.to have a very raspy bolt. Wish I liked them big box always has .308 30-06 for cheap. If ya buy one a solid review would be great.

tufrthnails
05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Got me thinking I am going to see if I can get my cousin to lend me his .243 and I will let you guys know what I think of it first hand.

1983Weatherby
05-23-2014, 08:15 PM
I guess it would also help how your shooting your groups. I use a bipod only and can shoot 1 MOA groups. If I use a sled or rear bag they tighten up drastically.

snowgetter1
05-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Great marketing is where the hype comes from. You can't look at a gun magazine without seeing at least one in it.

LoneWolf
05-24-2014, 09:37 AM
Tried to help a guy zero one at the range. Couldn't keep it on paper at 50yds. After further diagnosis I found the barrel to be pressed up hard against the side of the stock. I guess just like a Savage with a little tweaking they'll shoot too, but I would rather pick up an Axis and be able to swap barrels at will after throwing it in a boyds or SSS stock.

ebrown
05-24-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm a guy who learned to shoot when we lived in Alaska, fifty years ago. Went away to school, moved to Los Angeles, and hadn't shot a rifle in over forty years. Now I live where there is wildlife and hunting. I was seriously considering buying one based on the hype. Then I read this:
http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/130301

And got a savage 116 Trophy hunter XP instead. Put on a wood stock and I love it. After some practice I was able to put five round of Hornady superformance 150 GMX into a vertical line at 100 yds. Seems as the barrel heats up the POI moves down a little. If I took time to let the barrel cool between rounds I could probably make a ragged hole. But I want to be a hunter, not a target shooter, so it would be a waste of time for me.

When I went back and read the articles that sounded so good, the authors clearly spent time cherry-picking to get one set of three holes close to each other. Throw enough rocks and you'll do that occasionally.

Rooster 50
05-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Hate to say this on a Savage forum but the ONE American I have worked with was a dandy. Mounted a scope on it for a friend and took it to the range to get it dialed in. I will say up front that I lapped the crap out of the barrel with JB just to try to save some time on break in but it was sure not a professional lap job.
Anyway with some old ammo I had laying around it shot 1.5in right out of the box. Knowing that he would never hand load for it I went and bought him a box of cheap Rem ammo and after lapping it a little more I took it back to the range with the factory ammo and it shout right at 3/4 for 3 5 shot groups.

Now that is not an awe inspiring story but it is sure good enuf for him to shoot coyotes with and It did not require an aftermarket stock or a bedding job or a trigger job........FWIW I am getting pretty tired of buying a Savage action and then building a decent rifle around it.

BoilerUP
05-24-2014, 12:54 PM
I have my eyes on the new American Predator...22", medium contour, threaded muzzle, 223 in 1:8, street price $400ish

bluealtered
05-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I have one in .243, and yes during the break in period from an open mtm $30 rest shots 18, 19, 20 did make a clover leaf. This was using 87gr vmax with 38gr of varget, cci primer and a col of 2.625, and yes thats the best to date. The rifle is simply a bare bones rifle but it does shoot. It reminds me of the early savage package models that everybody made fun of but would shoot as well as any other brands "good" models.

It seems that ruger has taken a page from the early savage play book and is cashing in on it.

Rooster 50
05-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Who knows maybe they will come out with a 17WSM and save us all.

fgw_in_fla
05-27-2014, 10:28 AM
For whatever it's worth to ya...

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/bargain-hunting-rifles

goodolsavage
06-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Who knows maybe they will come out with a 17WSM and save us all.

I dont know what that means but i do know a person who owns a savage 17wsm and absolutly love it and its pretty accurate, ruger copied a lot from savage. My other freind has a ruger American rimfire and the extra stock peice doesn't fit correctly and the trigger isnt near as good at the accutrigger despite ruger virtuly coppying off savage. Did his ruger American shoot well? I dont know yet as it was gettig 3/4 inch groups at 25 yards with winchester super x.

kevwil
06-22-2014, 03:00 AM
I have my eyes on the new American Predator...22", medium contour, threaded muzzle, 223 in 1:8, street price $400ish

I'm curious how these turn out, as I could see this being a good started gun for my son.

Rooster 50
06-22-2014, 08:55 AM
I dont know what that means but i do know a person who owns a savage 17wsm and absolutly love it and its pretty accurate, ruger copied a lot from savage. My other freind has a ruger American rimfire and the extra stock peice doesn't fit correctly and the trigger isnt near as good at the accutrigger despite ruger virtuly coppying off savage. Did his ruger American shoot well? I dont know yet as it was gettig 3/4 inch groups at 25 yards with winchester super x.

If you visit this forum at all I shouldn't have to explain my statement to you. There are whole threads here dedicated to how crappy the Savage BMag is. Especially the one with the standard barrel. The heavy barrel SS model is not as bad but it's sure no work of art either. I have owned both and they just about cured me of a lifetime Savage habit.

Read all the 17WSM threads and then come back and tell me you don't understand my statement.

goodolsavage
06-22-2014, 09:14 AM
If you visit this forum at all I shouldn't have to explain my statement to you. There are whole threads here dedicated to how crappy the Savage BMag is. Especially the one with the standard barrel. The heavy barrel SS model is not as bad but it's sure no work of art either. I have owned both and they just about cured me of a lifetime Savage habit.

Read all the 17WSM threads and then come back and tell me you don't understand my statement.

I haven't heard anything bad in real world testing. The person i know with one adores it. He even got the stock custom painted. He even said the gun had more potintial than the round. Idk maybe he got a great one?

Rooster 50
06-22-2014, 10:28 AM
I am happy for your friend..........he is definitely in a league of his own on that rifle.

goodolsavage
06-22-2014, 10:38 AM
I am happy for your friend..........he is definitely in a league of his own on that rifle.

Are you talking about the extractor problem for the b mag

Rooster 50
06-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Are you talking about the extractor problem for the b mag

Read this whole thread please. I don't have enuf time in the day to enumerate all the problems folks are having with this rifle http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?35158-Sent-My-17wsm-back-to-Savage