PDA

View Full Version : Ok, whats with all the hype on the Ruger American??

Pages : 1 [2]

goodolsavage
06-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Read this whole thread please. I don't have enuf time in the day to enumerate all the problems folks are having with this rifle http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?35158-Sent-My-17wsm-back-to-Savage

Sounds like savage threw together a rifle without testing it. Maybe the guy i know got a lucky good one? Still though, ruger copied a lot from savage. And I've held an American and it felt cheap and i havnt yet seen te accuracy to want me to buy one

Reeseman
06-23-2014, 12:27 AM
One of my hunting partners has the Ruger American in 223 . It shoots factory Hornady V Max rounds into tight 1'' groups off of a rest and rear bag . It surprised me as well as him . I think its a nice gun for the price . I have shot it and the trigger is not bad at all . My Accu Triggers are a little smoother feeling though .

NLPeaden
07-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Having owned a Ruger GP-100, and having fired a lot out of a half a dozen MkIIs and a P-95... Ruger makes a nice handgun, and perhaps the strongest out there. Always wanted a Gold Label shotgun and #1 in 45-70. However... I still trust a Savage in a bolt-action rifle for North American game.

Do they have a CRF magnum yet?

goodolsavage
07-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Having owned a Ruger GP-100, and having fired a lot out of a half a dozen MkIIs and a P-95... Ruger makes a nice handgun, and perhaps the strongest out there. Always wanted a Gold Label shotgun and #1 in 45-70. However... I still trust a Savage in a bolt-action rifle for North American game.

Do they have a CRF magnum yet?

See every single ruger handgun I've shot i hated though, every single one if them had an unpredictable long trigger and the lcp in 380 just sucked, though they may have changed them however i would not say theyre the strongest but I'm not saying they're not strong, ever seen a glock torture test? Some of them are pretty insane of what they go through and they still work, look up hi point torture test on youtube, iraqveteran8888 done one and they could not destroy it under normal or even extreme circumstances, had to plug it and fill of with powder

sdeeter19541
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
My first carry was a p95. It was finicky on ammo, it would either ftf or stove pipe or would build up gunk in the firing pin hole and stop firing. The last straw for me was when it started failing to hold the magazine in. I put probably 1000 rounds through that piece, i doubt I cleared more than half a dozen mags with out a problem out of that many rounds. The GP I shot would have better suited as a club that a firearm.

My buddy owns a #1 in 22-250 and loves it, he also owns a GP and loves it too...but both have been worked. After my problems with that P95, it would be hard for me to own another Ruger.

1983Weatherby
07-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Yea, I owned a lot of rugers and they only make a few good guns IMO. Ruger #1, ruger red hawk, ruger 10/22. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

NLPeaden
07-29-2014, 08:22 PM
You guys are making want to pattern my GP-100... you can't miss a torso shot at 100 yards with it though. I've never sighted it, nor fired it from a rest, just some hold over practice with the default sights (shoots left from factory). I know people who fire near carbine rounds in them.

It does make a nice club though, which is 50% of the reason I never carry it. The other 50% is having never been in a gun-friendly occupation, being a student, having my vehicle confiscated, etc.

bremereric
07-29-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't like to talk about other brands on here but my All American stainless 22" Ruger in 204 shoots like a dream. I have both the flimsy and heavy barrel b-mags and they don't shoot as well. No comparision though.

tufrthnails
07-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Shot a buddies Ruger american .223 this past weekend and was satisfied with it's 1" groups @ 100 yards with 55gr Vmax. Rifle feels flimsy, Trigger is not as crisp as my factory Accu-trigger, but overall Ruger did well copying Savage. On another note he bought a Handi-Rifle .223 heavy Barrel. What a POS trigger that thing has. But if I was needing a Club that shoots as well it wouldn't be a bad purchase for a Camp/ brush gun. I havn't looked but if the trigger could be replaced it might be a decent little single shot okay chased that rabbit now back to topic.

pisgah
08-25-2014, 01:08 PM
A friend has an American in .30-06, and it shoots quite well; in fact, the one thing that bugs him about it is that it shoots no better than my .270 Axis -- which cost me $80 less than his Ruger!:smile-new: To make him feel better, I told him his was purtier, though (even tho' it's not!).

mikgarus
08-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Bought 2 axis (223/308) and one RAR (243) have now sold them all. Junk!

JCalhoun
09-08-2014, 01:15 PM
How are the Ruger American rimfires?

bremereric
09-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I have the compact 17 hmr and it does fine.