PDA

View Full Version : Apache, Criterion/Shillen from NSS, McGowen, Brux from SSS... SO many options. Input?

Pages : [1] 2

upSLIDEdown
05-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Looking at a rebarrel, and trying to figure out what to get. I've seen good reviews from all of them. Personally, I feel like the Brux from SSS is in a different league, being cut rifled instead of button rifled, but at $440+, I'm not sure it's worth it to me at this point. It's also worth noting I've sent them an email with no response yet, and after doing some searching, it seems like they're a pretty hard company to get ahold to, and tend to have a pretty long wait.

CBI, Shillen, and McGowen all seem to get pretty solid reviews, and are probably on the the same playing field. Are they worth the extra money over an Apache barrel though? I've seen some pretty good reviews from Apache, however I've also heard ER Shaw and Green Mountain stuff is sub par at best and not any better than a factory Savage barrel...

So many options...

Any input is greatly appreciated.

quarterbore
05-17-2014, 07:03 AM
tag

scope eye
05-17-2014, 07:32 AM
What caliber are you looking at, and more specifically what chambering.

Dean

6mmBR_Shooter
05-17-2014, 08:05 AM
For what use? Target shooting from a bench? Hunting?

snowgetter1
05-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Buy whatever you can get that you like that is in stock somewhere. For average shooting and hunting you can't go wrong with any of them.

upSLIDEdown
05-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Target. Long range. Mostly 500-1300yds. Not sure how the chambering is relevant... but I haven't decided on a chambering yet, but more than likely it'll be 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

jsthntn247
05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm in the same boat looking for a .223 600 yard target gun. I'm interested in the responses. I've been considering sinarms for a action truing and a brux.

5spd
05-17-2014, 06:54 PM
however I've also heard ER Shaw and Green Mountain stuff is sub par at best and not any better than a factory Savage barrel...
Don't believe what hear or read until you have actually used said item.
I have a inexpensive ER Shaw .223, 24" varmint barrel from midwayusa and have not 1 issue with shooting to 700 yards and it prints in the .450-.600" with my hand loads at 100 yds. My real targets are p-dogs and it hits what I aim at unless a slight breeze of 15 mph+ messes me up.
I also have a .223 McGowan drop in, 20p & .223 CBI drop in and they are all more than good to go.
The above do not mine copper, shoot all sub moas w/my loads.
I buy what I can get in my hands within a decent time frame for my builds.

bootsmcguire
05-17-2014, 09:31 PM
My top performing barrels to date:

1. 6WSM built by Apache on a Green Mountain Blank (it has given me a consistency of groups well under 1/2 MOA, and a few under 1/4))
2. 6BR by CBI from NSS (normally shoots from 1/4 to 1/2 MOA)
3. 308 12FV Savage as it left the factory (consistently under 1/2 MOA hot or cold bore always to POA)
4. 243AI that was rechambered from a factory Savage SS fluted Varmint barrel (always under 1/2 MOA and this barrel has quite a few rounds on her, 2500+ and still shoots great)
5. 22-250 12FV barrel (gave 1/2MOA results and was very consistent)

It is also worth noting that I have a 250AI on a Shaw blank built by Apache that I am starting to work with and on its first outing it gave me under MOA results with a thrown together load of RL22 and 120gr Hornadys. It has great promise of being a real tack driver. I also have a 450 Bushmaster barrel that Apache built for me on a Green Mountain blank, and it is shooting the factory stuff under 1 MOA and I am certain handloads will do better.

I also had a 7mm RM that was a Shaw prefit that was fitted with a brake that I bought used here in the classifieds. That thing shot 120gr Sierras into 3/8" at 100 all day long.

Point of all this rambling I'm doing is that a man that is good at what he does can make a so-so quality blank that will shoot like a dream, and on the other side of that coin a guy who isn't very good can seriously screw up a "premium" blank. Apache does great work, pays attention to detail, and makes some great barrels. My last 3 have been from him and I am getting ready to contact him to order a 4th. I figure if I can call Apache and get it built how I want it for similar money and no super long wait then that's where I will go.

I hope that some of that is helpful, CBI has treated me well, the one Pac-Nor I had shot well also, but Shaw, Green Mountain, and factory Savage barrels have done equal to or better than I can shoot so really its up to you. Talking straight factory prefits I would be most likely to go with a CBI for the value and performance over a Shaw or Savage factory barrel for example, but with Apache cutting the barrel I have confidence in his work and have no problems with Shaw or Green Mountain.

If you want a Brux I'd call Devin at Sin-Arms. He works with Brux blanks and may be able to help and does good work also.

upSLIDEdown
05-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Don't believe what hear or read until you have actually used said item.
I have a inexpensive ER Shaw .223, 24" varmint barrel from midwayusa and have not 1 issue with shooting to 700 yards and it prints in the .450-.600" with my hand loads at 100 yds. My real targets are p-dogs and it hits what I aim at unless a slight breeze of 15 mph+ messes me up.
I also have a .223 McGowan drop in, 20p & .223 CBI drop in and they are all more than good to go.
The above do not mine copper, shoot all sub moas w/my loads.
I buy what I can get in my hands within a decent time frame for my builds.

Exactly the reason I posted this. Was hoping to find some people with actual experience to hopefully find some guidance on what to do.

My top performing barrels to date:

1. 6WSM built by Apache on a Green Mountain Blank (it has given me a consistency of groups well under 1/2 MOA, and a few under 1/4))
2. 6BR by CBI from NSS (normally shoots from 1/4 to 1/2 MOA)
3. 308 12FV Savage as it left the factory (consistently under 1/2 MOA hot or cold bore always to POA)
4. 243AI that was rechambered from a factory Savage SS fluted Varmint barrel (always under 1/2 MOA and this barrel has quite a few rounds on her, 2500+ and still shoots great)
5. 22-250 12FV barrel (gave 1/2MOA results and was very consistent)

It is also worth noting that I have a 250AI on a Shaw blank built by Apache that I am starting to work with and on its first outing it gave me under MOA results with a thrown together load of RL22 and 120gr Hornadys. It has great promise of being a real tack driver. I also have a 450 Bushmaster barrel that Apache built for me on a Green Mountain blank, and it is shooting the factory stuff under 1 MOA and I am certain handloads will do better.

I also had a 7mm RM that was a Shaw prefit that was fitted with a brake that I bought used here in the classifieds. That thing shot 120gr Sierras into 3/8" at 100 all day long.

Point of all this rambling I'm doing is that a man that is good at what he does can make a so-so quality blank that will shoot like a dream, and on the other side of that coin a guy who isn't very good can seriously screw up a "premium" blank. Apache does great work, pays attention to detail, and makes some great barrels. My last 3 have been from him and I am getting ready to contact him to order a 4th. I figure if I can call Apache and get it built how I want it for similar money and no super long wait then that's where I will go.

I hope that some of that is helpful, CBI has treated me well, the one Pac-Nor I had shot well also, but Shaw, Green Mountain, and factory Savage barrels have done equal to or better than I can shoot so really its up to you. Talking straight factory prefits I would be most likely to go with a CBI for the value and performance over a Shaw or Savage factory barrel for example, but with Apache cutting the barrel I have confidence in his work and have no problems with Shaw or Green Mountain.

If you want a Brux I'd call Devin at Sin-Arms. He works with Brux blanks and may be able to help and does good work also.

Exactly the info I was looking for. I just shot Devin an email, hoping to get some idea of price on a Brux. I have a buddy that shoots nothing but high end stuff, Lilja, Obermeyer, etc, that has said the Brux is a far cry better than anything else of the stuff I mentioned. I'm just trying not to spend that kinda coin if I don't need to.

This thread is starting off exactly the way I hoped, and hope it continues. Thanks guys! Keep it coming.

jsthntn247
05-17-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm looking for .5" groups at 300 yards, I really want the Brux. If your looking for .5" at 100 a criterion or mcgowan will do that with ease.

NotoriousAPP
05-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Exactly the info I was looking for. I just shot Devin an email, hoping to get some idea of price on a Brux.

I would recommend calling him. I sent an email to him 7 days ago and I'm still waiting for a reply....in fact your post reminded me that I emailed him. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

NotoriousAPP
05-24-2014, 12:32 AM
I'm looking for .5" groups at 300 yards, I really want the Brux. If your looking for .5" at 100 a criterion or mcgowan will do that with ease.

So do you send your action in to have the barrel fitted to it or just have the barrel maker chamber/thread the barrel and send it to you for you to install?

NotoriousAPP
05-24-2014, 01:47 AM
I just went through this with Criterion. They were great to deal with. They will use your reamer if you want to supply one. I ordered a 30-06 and all they had was the SAAMI spec reamer, I would guess that it's the same story for .260 or 6.5.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-24-2014, 12:49 PM
So do you send your action in to have the barrel fitted to it or just have the barrel maker chamber/thread the barrel and send it to you for you to install?

They manufacturer chambers and threads it and then they send it to you for you to install.

BoilerUP
05-24-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm looking for .5" groups at 300 yards, I really want the Brux.

Forget the barrel - are YOU capable of 0.5" groups at 300yd?

That's a mighty tall accuracy expectation.

NotoriousAPP
05-24-2014, 12:52 PM
They manufacturer chambers and threads it and then they send it to you for you to install.

I get that part an I know that's what a pre-fit means. I was asking if people have a barrel blank sent to their gunsmith to be chambered/threaded/fitted to the action as opposed to going with a pre-fit barrel which is chambered at the manufacturer.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-24-2014, 02:57 PM
yes, some people do.

FW Conch
05-24-2014, 03:20 PM
And some people drop the barrel nut all together. For instance, ER Shaw will make a shouldered barrel for your Savage, but you have to send your action to them to have it fitted. Other barrel makers do this to, of course.

EOD350
05-30-2014, 07:39 AM
If you want a Brux and SSS will not respond (they are busy) call Devin at Sin Arms. He has gone out of his way to work with me on a Brux for a Remington I am working on. The prices are the same. Sin Arms is a sponsor here I believe.