PDA

View Full Version : Apache, Criterion/Shillen from NSS, McGowen, Brux from SSS... SO many options. Input?

Pages : 1 [2]

Rifleshooter308
05-30-2014, 08:06 AM
.5 at .300 yards is not going to be a barrel issue it will be an ammo and shooter deal. That's a 1/10 MOA and a goal most professional bench rest shooters dream of. But whatever you can get good results with lesser named barrel makes all depending on what your goals are. A casual weekend shooter looking to bang steel at long range will do fine with a Shaw, McGowen, Criterion, Shilen or even factory Savage varmints. If your into competition running hundreds of rounds 2-3 times a week your going to need something better. I've had a few Shaws and they performed well for the price. I'm currently using one for a 6.5-06 build. I've run a few Criterions, McGowens and Shilens and they have all been shooters. Some better than others. I'm currently running a Lothar Walther in .260 which has been fabulous. It's a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA shooter depending on the shooter and they day. I'm not a competition shooter so I have no need to spend $600 on a barrel at this time. The most I'll spend is $400 or so which is what I paid for the LW. I have paid $500 on a Lilja AR10 barrel and it was worth it. That rifle plain shot like a MOFO. Lots of choices and none are really bad. Buy the best you can afford. For me it's more about what's in stock. I hate waiting for stuff! :p

psharon97
05-30-2014, 09:57 AM
I've been told that the more important thing than who manufactured the blank is who is cutting the chamber. I have a Douglas 308 barrel and a Brux 7mm Rem Mag barrel both from SSS and the work is top notch. Check out who is cutting the chamber rather than get too concerned with who makes the blanks. My 2 cents.

bootsmcguire
05-30-2014, 07:04 PM
I've been told that the more important thing than who manufactured the blank is who is cutting the chamber.

I totally agree, and that's why I continue to recommend Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com) because Jim is very good at getting things true to the bore and on perfect center. I believe this is why I have gotten such good results from the Green Mountain and Shaw Blanks that I have had him use to build.

foxx
05-30-2014, 09:48 PM
I have also heard it said that sometimes the person who is reaming the chamber TREATS the "cheap barrel blank" like it is a "cheap barrel blank" and so it turns that way. If he treats it like it's "high dollar" it turns out "high dollar" quality.

Kinda like how you treat a woman...

bootsmcguire
05-30-2014, 10:08 PM
I have also heard it said that sometimes the person who is reaming the chamber TREATS the "cheap barrel blank" like it is a "cheap barrel blank" and so it turns that way. If he treats it like it's "high dollar" it turns out "high dollar" quality.

Kinda like how you treat a woman...

Amen. You put that better than I did.

darkker
05-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Forget the barrel - are YOU capable of 0.5" groups at 300yd?

That's a mighty tall accuracy expectation.

+1 to this!
I did a post about this type a subject recently.
http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/91774-rifle-build-why-people-need-calm-down.html

upSLIDEdown
05-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Interesting. Good thread. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with Jim at Apache. More than likely gonna be a Creed. How are you liking yours so far?

6mmBR_Shooter
05-31-2014, 05:26 AM
I just picked up a takeoff benchrest barrel in 6PPC for an amazing price. The owner was dissatisfied that it is shooting in the high .1s and .2s now, so it was no use to him. Jim was the obvious choice for me to perform the recontouring, threading, and rechambering for the Savage action.

scope eye
05-31-2014, 06:55 AM
I can only aspire to one day, to be dissatisfied with .1s and .2s, I think there should be a government program to make all barrels shoot the same. LOL

Dean

seanhagerty
05-31-2014, 07:43 AM
I have shot nothing but prefits. ER Shaw, Savage factory, one from Numerich arms (No markings on the barrel about maker) and CDI, to be exact.

I consider my self a fair trigger puller. Not good , not poor, but middle of the road.

All of the above barrels out shoot me.

0.5" groups at 300 yards ?? I would be happy with 0.5" groups at 100 yards some days.

If the 0.5" @ 300yds goal is your true goal, you had better be ready to spend some serious jack on everything, barrel, fancy benchrest stock, fancy front rest, Serious optics, making sure everything is repeatable on your reloading process, the whole nine yards.

As a side note: I shoot at big piney sportsmans club in Houston MO. There is wall of fame posted on the 600 yard firing line. One of the plaques is the "Sub 1 inch Club" It is for folks that shoot sub one inch groups at 600 yards. There is only one name on the plaque. I think it was a 5 shot group that measured in the neighborhood of 0.8 inches. I see this group being in the same neighborhood as 0.5" @ 300yds. These are benchrest shooters, with high dollar equipment and a load of experience.

I am not saying you cant shoot 0.5" groups at 300yds. But be prepared to really have to work for it.

Sean

darkker
06-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Really liking the Creed, and I'm a 308 guy. Did a bit of shooting yesterday, that rifle really needs a FFP scope.. Baby steps I suppose.

upSLIDEdown
06-01-2014, 05:53 PM
I had a FFP scope on my 308 and really liked it. I had an issue with it though, and ended up replacing it with a fixed 16x42 SWFA. So far it's working quite well.

jsthntn247
06-02-2014, 12:12 PM
.5 at .300 yards is not going to be a barrel issue it will be an ammo and shooter deal. That's a 1/10 MOA and a goal most professional bench rest shooters dream of. But whatever you can get good results with lesser named barrel makes all depending on what your goals are. A casual weekend shooter looking to bang steel at long range will do fine with a Shaw, McGowen, Criterion, Shilen or even factory Savage varmints. If your into competition running hundreds of rounds 2-3 times a week your going to need something better. I've had a few Shaws and they performed well for the price. I'm currently using one for a 6.5-06 build. I've run a few Criterions, McGowens and Shilens and they have all been shooters. Some better than others. I'm currently running a Lothar Walther in .260 which has been fabulous. It's a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA shooter depending on the shooter and they day. I'm not a competition shooter so I have no need to spend $600 on a barrel at this time. The most I'll spend is $400 or so which is what I paid for the LW. I have paid $500 on a Lilja AR10 barrel and it was worth it. That rifle plain shot like a MOFO. Lots of choices and none are really bad. Buy the best you can afford. For me it's more about what's in stock. I hate waiting for stuff! :p

Ended up buying a Heavy Palma 7 twist Bartlein from Bugholes. It was in stock. I'm going to have the local smith put it together. I hate waiting too!! This is how my 308 shoots at 300 with heavy Bergers. I still get beat in Fclass matches, but at least I know it aint the gun. Something with less recoil will be more enjoyable to shoot I hope.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy293/jsthntn247/525ECC0F-161D-41C3-98B7-1381F2E1480A-313-000000256620339D_zps233d050b.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/jsthntn247/media/525ECC0F-161D-41C3-98B7-1381F2E1480A-313-000000256620339D_zps233d050b.jpg.html)

trailrider121
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
jsthntn247 (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?5678-jsthntn247)

****! Very nice shooting.