PDA

View Full Version : New rifle, first groups! AMAZING!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

D.ID
05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
I actually have a 700 yard private range at my place and good access to 1200+ yard desert and canyon, take my shooting very seriously. My ammo, optics and all the rest. Shoot my dear with my one shot at 700 yards and all that. I just need my practice with wind calls mostly so 100 yard practice does not help me for what I am doing.
My comment about them being queer is only applicable to the 3-shot group police I notice when I am at snipers hide. It's like the couple of savage bashers that show up on every savage thread to piss and moan about a five shot instead of five five shot groups to prove consistency, it gets so childish, redundant and annoying I have to switch over hear for a while. Besides what they call a tactical competition.....I call sunday.
Of course if it's all you've got, paper at 100 is a whole lot better than nothing (to a point) and your dot drill at least gives clear feedback for every round where a ten shot usually just ends up with overall spread of the one large hole.
Given you goals of positional to a 1K+ I can't help but think you would be better served spending a lot less ammo at your local 100yard and making allot more trips to the bigger range, even if you can't do it as often.
I build them, tune them and learn to use them. Build being a loose term as assemble is more realistic.
The light hunting rifle was only referenced in an attempt to draw a contrast between the three and five round. Even my primary hunting rifle is what most would consider a target rifle weighing in at 14lb and I am more than a little bit perfectionist.
I take ammo expense very seriously because the time and money put into my handloads is significant and if I waist it on pure redundancy I will not be able to afford to really get the wind reading at farther range practice that will help me get to the next level.

foxx
05-01-2014, 11:30 AM
I think we're all good on the 3-shot v 5-shot thing. Personally, I am glad the subject came up and everyone explained their points and views on the sport/hobby and circumstances. I am really itching to get out there and shoot some distance and getting sick of just finding ways to "make do" at 100. :)

Now that I've had my say, and am satisfied with everyone's views, lets let Not_Infringed have his thread back. :)

D.ID
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Good idea.
Sorry NOT_INFRINGED for my part in the hijack.

lscraig1968
05-01-2014, 08:14 PM
to the OP: very nice!

DanSavage
05-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Good shooting NOT-INFRINGED, and fine rifle, I've never had a problem using 3 round groups, 5 or 10. Yeah the groups will open up the more you shoot and here is my theory why.

1. Barrel heat can be a small part or large part.
2. Shooter fatigue.
3. Ammo.
4. Conditions (wind etc.)

I've noticed when striving for these one hole groups ammo has to be very consistent from round to round, the more round you shoot the more of a chance you have of say a bullet weighing 2 grains over the last one fired and add 2 grains to the case, that's why I weigh bullets and cases. I shoot F-class and a batch of 50 rounds that I load for a match the total loaded rounds vary less than .2 grain. The more precise you can get your ammo, you'l find you can keep 10 shot groups nice and tight too.

earl39
05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
So you subscribe to the "One shot, one kill" philosophy, huh?

You mean there is another philosophy?

DanSavage
05-01-2014, 09:17 PM

I once had a 2 shot 2 kill,,,

foxx
05-01-2014, 09:46 PM

If you can get 'em lined up just right...

...you can go for a two-fer :)

Not_Infringed
05-01-2014, 11:35 PM

http://i.imgur.com/OxpmMWa.gif

Not_Infringed
05-01-2014, 11:36 PM
I think we're all good on the 3-shot v 5-shot thing. Personally, I am glad the subject came up and everyone explained their points and views on the sport/hobby and circumstances. I am really itching to get out there and shoot some distance and getting sick of just finding ways to "make do" at 100. :)

Now that I've had my say, and am satisfied with everyone's views, lets let Not_Infringed have his thread back. :)

I am glad it came up! One of the reasons I posted this was for constructive feedback! I want to learn as much from as many people as possible. :becky:

limige
05-02-2014, 01:41 AM
Actually in Quebec the philosophy is keep shooting till the guns empty or he falls. For real!

earl39
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
The old saying is "3 shots prove the gun and 5 shots prove the man". Now if you need to know what is going to happen in a long string of fire then by all means shoot a long string and find out before you do it where it counts.

eddiesindian
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I am glad it came up! One of the reasons I posted this was for constructive feedback! I want to learn as much from as many people as possible. :becky:

what distance,s do you plan on sending your rounds to?