PDA

View Full Version : What will the next big advancement be in the firearm world?

Pages : [1] 2

Gunome
04-21-2014, 11:29 PM
It would be fair to say that the current day rifles, handguns and anything that goes bang and sends a projectile down range all started from the caveman throwing a rock, spear, bow and arrow as examples.

The progress in this field has been both simplistic in one aspect and very advanced in another.

What in your opinion will be the next big advancement in firearm technology?

The weapons itself?
The additions like the scope?
The bullet?

But more importanlty how will it be the next big thing.

barrel-nut
04-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Automatic windage-compensating scopes. Don't ask me how. Twenty years ago, who would have guessed we'd have automatic elevation-compensating scopes? Granted, windage is a much more fickle variable than elevation, but I'm sure technology will advance and someone will figure it out.

Stockrex
04-22-2014, 12:10 AM
I want those voltage actuated ammo that the navy uses in the anti??? guns.

243LPR
04-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Remington already tried that and it never took off.

03mossy
04-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I hope to have someday one of those Hollywood guns that never run out of ammo. But hopefully not the ones that constantly make the slide racking noise every time they go around a corner!

sixonetonoffun
04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Propellant? Compressed nitrogen or?

EFBell
04-22-2014, 08:40 PM
laws mostly...

DrThunder88
04-22-2014, 09:49 PM
There will probably be more technologically advanced add-ons like that TrackingPoint system in the future. Moore's law almost assures us that electronics will keep getting smaller and/or cheaper, and I suspect they will proliferate into the firearms market. Like barrel-nut says, it's not too difficult to imagine some whiz kids in the industry developing a system that can ascertain windage by reading mirage or background movement. As for a specific prediction, a computer-generated reticule that will consist of one to three concentric circles that grow or shrink around the center crosshair corresponding to a given probability or probabilities of a shot falling within the circles based on gun movement and barrel temperature.

barrel-nut
04-22-2014, 11:16 PM
^ This. It's just a matter of time

psharon97
04-23-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm honestly afraid of what's going to come next. EfBell stated that laws would be written. I'm afraid that the government will try to implement "safe" firearms that only fire when biometric devices allow them to.

DrThunder88
04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Well, those charges will be led by lobbyists for companies that have already developed technology along those lines. Remember microstamping?

D.ID
04-27-2014, 07:57 PM
laws mostly...

Afraid I have to agree.

langenc
04-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Afraid I have to agree.

So what is the matter with getting rid of some of the INFRINGEMENTS??

Id say microstamping and 'smart guns'. The smart huns have been requested by the Attorney Gen, Diane and Chuckie et al!! Has to be next with that lineup.

J.Baker
04-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Lets keep politics out of it guys, otherwise we'll be forced to close it.

mazda3gun
04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Straight wall cartridges ONLY are now legal for deer rifle hunting in Ohio. I don't live there yet, but I'd say it's definitely an advancement after all these years!

wbm
04-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Smart bullets.

J.Baker
04-30-2014, 06:10 PM
SELECT Straight wall cartridges ONLY are now legal for deer rifle hunting in Ohio. I don't live there yet, but I'd say it's definitely an advancement after all these years!

Fixed that for ya as not all straight walled cartridges are now legal, only those they specifically listed (handgun cartridges predominantly)

bflee
05-01-2014, 06:28 PM
How about an electric trigger that can be set at any weight?

Itsricmo
05-01-2014, 08:23 PM
I think we might see some form of advancement in ammunition. For too long we have been using the tried and true Brass with Copper and Lead! There is something out there, somewhere, that is going to be cheaper, faster and better... it is going to take time and probably a leap in technology itself, across the board. Propellants or Primers might be the first thing they try to change and see what else can work. Just my thoughts..

mazda3gun
05-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Fixed that for ya as not all straight walled cartridges are now legal, only those they specifically listed (handgun cartridges predominantly)

Say whaaaat?! They seriously limited which cartridges 'specifically' are allowed?! WOW!