lostart
03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Gotta Link?

Darryle
03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/featured/

amadjuster
03-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Isn't this the same thing as a Stevens 200?

lostart
03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
The difference that I can find is that the stevens has the internal mag and the edge has the detached mag.

The edge bolt handle is kind of cool though

geargrinder
03-18-2010, 07:31 PM

No, not as nice as a Stevens 200. Not even close. The only improvement over the Stevens is the price.

82boy
03-18-2010, 11:33 PM

No the Edge is radically different. The Stevens $200 has a MSRP of $446, so if you take that in consideration the Edge is much cheaper. (At a MSRP $329) These are Suggested prices, not what you will find in a retail store.

From my conversations with the people at Savage the Edge, is Savages answer for Remington's model 770. (They kind of look a like) Savage designed the Edge do to Remington dropping the price on their rifles below what Savage can compete with with the Stevens 200. Savage wanted to make a high quality rifle at a lower cost, and this was the Edge. The Edge is marketed for the younger newer shooter.

The edge is a radical design, with a new style of receiver using newer technology, that should produce a higher quality product. The receiver is modeled off of the target actions. The tang is removed,due to the high amount of machining cost. It has a side safety, and no rear baffle. The detachable magazine is completely different. The stock is made by a new process. The edge will still use a floating bolt head, and the same button rifled barrels as the Savage line. The have it chambered in a ton of calibers 223, 22/250, 243, 7mm08, 308, 25-06, 270, and 30-06.

Without actually seeing the gun, I have high hopes for this gun, and think it is a step forward for Savage.

psharon97
03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Do you know if it uses the same bolt spacing as the newer line savage? what aftermarket parts like the competition trigger? any compatibility issues?

82boy
03-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Do you know if it uses the same bolt spacing as the newer line savage? what aftermarket parts like the competition trigger? any compatibility issues?

Not sure yet, will have to wait and see when someone finally gets one. I been told that the trigger is a one piece self contained unit, but was also told that they used the old Stevens trigger in it. Right now it is hard to tell what will transfer over and what will not.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Dealer cost is $40 less than the Stevens for the base model Edge. They are in stock and ready to ship at some wholesalers in 223 / black / no scope.

For someone wanting a removable magazine rifle at a slightly lower price point than the Stevens this will fit the bill.

lostart
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
If we can make a lam stock fit it, I'm in. Detach Mag might cause a problem with that though. I'm looking for a customizable base for a .223. This is definitely an option, but I like a wood or lam stock.

82boy
03-19-2010, 12:59 PM
The problem with a laminate stock is with the magazine. SSS can inlet a stock for what ever you would want, and they could inletted it for the edge. Until someone actually get a hold of one and gives a report, we can only speculate what they did. I know from my conversation with Savage that the magazine is different than used on the center feed guns. I was told that the magazine spacer in the stock can be flipped and used for either a long or a short action, there is no metal parts, (Latch, bottom fixture, magazine, ETC) and what can be adapted is an unknown. It may be possible to use the Savage bottom metal and magazine set up from a center feed rifle. (And that is if the bolt spacing is the same) So it is hard to tell right now what can and can not be done to them. But rest assured if there is a way SSS will make it happen.

lostart
03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I am sure that they could. But it may be cheaper to go with a 200 and forget about all of the work. More of a plug and play kind of thing.

82boy
03-19-2010, 01:07 PM
I am sure that they could. But it may be cheaper to go with a 200 and forget about all of the work. More of a plug and play kind of thing.

Yup.

ellobo
03-20-2010, 05:45 PM
I have a feeling that Savage was motivated more by the Marlin design than anything else.

El Lobo

7stw
03-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello folks, new guy on the block. Just recently joined and am getting my feet wet . In reference to this thread, is this the rifle that Dick's is seling as a "package rifle"?. I saw one there recently, and it did heve the DBM. I don't know if it was a "edge" or not but by the description, it does sound like it. They were selling it for I think about, $379. Just curious!

GUNFANATIC
03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
That was most likely a Stevens 200, but I could be wrong.

LG
03-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Hello folks, new guy on the block. Just recently joined and am getting my feet wet . In reference to this thread, is this the rifle that Dick's is seling as a "package rifle"?. I saw one there recently, and it did heve the DBM. I don't know if it was a "edge" or not but by the description, it does sound like it. They were selling it for I think about, $379. Just curious!

I don't think so. I haven't seen the new Edge at Dicks Sporting Goods yet. Normally what Dicks has as a package rifle is a basic Savage 11 or 111 with BDM but without accutrigger.

sha-ul
03-20-2010, 08:33 PM

fwiw Walmart has the savage "package" with the acu-trigger for $384

82boy
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM

I seriously doubt it, one the price is too high. Second the Edge was just released to a few dealer on March 1, The edge does come in a package series, with a 3x9 scope.