PDA

View Full Version : 190 Yard Squirrel

Pages : [1] 2

Silvercrow1
03-21-2014, 11:28 AM
So, I'm at the range this A.M., just became a member last week, and I'm shooting my 110 LA .223 at 200 yards. Had JUST gotten set up, fired the first shot and adjusting the focus/parallax. Movement caught my eye in the lower portion of the scope...YOU GOTS to be kiddin' me! A squirrel is bopping around on the ground just a little shy of the target stand. I switch my focus and sure enough, Mr. Squirrel is having a great time. In my warped mind he's almost saying "C'mon Bri-an! Let's see what ya got! You ain't got nuttin'!!"

Something came over me and the next thing you know he's in the crosshairs. This is my second shot ever with this gun at 200 yards. I know I'm shooting a little low so I put the crosshairs just above his head and squeeze...

BLAM! The squirrel is still dancing but to a different tune! Two spasmodic "hops" and (never saw this before on a squirrel) but his bushy tail is flagging. Then...all is still. The guy next to me is cracking up "You nailed his A$$!" he says.

We walk up, and the bullet went in his left front face / head and tore through his body, almost severing his right rear leg on exit.

1st blood for me with this gun.

190 yards (almost exactly) 55 Gn. Hornady SP in front of 26.2 Gns. of Winchester 748, Remington BR primer.

All of the many squirrels I've eliminated were done with a .22LR- a few with a .17HMR. Happy with the accuracy of my gun, BUT- if you like to eat squirrel, you shouldn't use a .223 Rem.- leaves a mess.

Brian

Hotolds442
03-21-2014, 12:16 PM
I sure hope it wasn't the Rally Squirrel!

rjtfroggy
03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
If it was either of the two ranges I belong to you would no longer be a member.
Shooting at wild life on ranges around here is a no no.

PS nice shot.

Silvercrow1
03-21-2014, 04:59 PM

PS nice shot.

You are right- and I shouldn't have done it. I had an opportunity and I took it. Although there is nothing specific..actually at all..in the regs about it, I am sure it would generally be frowned upon.

Having said that-I was pretty proud of the shot...:black_eyed:

Brian

Silvercrow1
03-21-2014, 05:08 PM
I sure hope it wasn't the Rally Squirrel!

LOL- I don't know what that means...all I can tell you he was on the larger side, a male grey(most all are grey squirrels around here), and VERY yellow teeth. Know way for me to judge how old he was, or if he was the "Rally" squirrel...? Poor dental hygene (sp) and a death wish! I had just fired a round that apparently went right over him or at least by him...could it be that he had alzheimers? Most greys are really skittish- fire a gun and they get scarce really quick. I recently made a couple of "cutter" squirrel "calls" to try and help with that- but really won't be able to test them until much later in the year.

Does this mean all future squirrels will be more difficult??

(BTW- check your PM's re: shipment, and apologies for my lack of communication...)

Brian

Silvercrow1
03-21-2014, 05:21 PM

PS nice shot.

BTW- thanks for the compliment. I JUST noted where you are from! In your state (or is it a Commonwealth like Pa.?) you're lucky to have a gun club! God bless you- I admire you folks from Conn. and Mass. that stand on your 2nd ammend. rights- gotta be tough. Can't / dont want to get political- keep the faith!

Brian

limige
03-21-2014, 05:31 PM
I agree PA sucks but nice shot!

How far are you from Carlisle? My sis lives there.

Hotolds442
03-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Go back to the 2011 NLDS, all those Phillies fans were in an uproar over that squirrel.
Some even claimed they'd shoot the next squirrel they see.
Good shooting though!

Silvercrow1
03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
I agree PA sucks but nice shot!

How far are you from Carlisle? My sis lives there.

About 3.5 hours. I'm 30 miles North, almost exactly, to center city Philly, and 21 miles South of Allentown / Bethlehem. ALL my Dad's side of the fam. are from Carlisle. Last names Cornman, Mentzer and Kistler. My youngest daughter lives in / near Alma MI.

Brian

Silvercrow1
03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Go back to the 2011 NLDS, all those Phillies fans were in an uproar over that squirrel.
Some even claimed they'd shoot the next squirrel they see.
Good shooting though!

AHA! Thanks for the insight-I'm unusual (in many ways) but for living so close to Philly, I'm....not...really....a...Phillies (or Eagles) fan. Not into sports on TV at all really...but I can imagine - if you are a fan of ANY Philadelphia ball club, ya gotta be tough, crazy, or both! Those fans have more highs and lows than a roller coaster!

Thanks- I'm real proud of that gun (and my others too).

Brian

rjtfroggy
03-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Brian Ct. is a state, with the worst gun laws in the country (and getting worse). Only hope is the Supreme Court. Even though gun ownership has skyrocketed the support for these new laws supposedly has gone up also, maybe, biased media I think.
Even our state police were not allowed a new range for training ( what they have now floods every year) on state owned land, public outcry was out rageous so the plan was thrown out.
Soon (hopefully) I will join Frank in Fla. Port St. Lucie or Stewart, if I get what I want but the wife wants Coral Spring or Davie.

Silvercrow1
03-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Brian Ct. is a state, with the worst gun laws in the country (and getting worse). Only hope is the Supreme Court. Even though gun ownership has skyrocketed the support for these new laws supposedly has gone up also, maybe, biased media I think.
Even our state police were not allowed a new range for training ( what they have now floods every year) on state owned land, public outcry was out rageous so the plan was thrown out.
Soon (hopefully) I will join Frank in Fla. Port St. Lucie or Stewart, if I get what I want but the wife wants Coral Spring or Davie.

Well, heres wishing you the best meanwhile and in the future! I think any of the places listed would be terrific! My stepmom lives in Ft. Myers, and my In-laws live in Titusville. SO..we have East AND west coast options for vacation..:>)

Brian

thermaler
03-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Nice shot--hope you eat what you kill.

chukarmandoo
03-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Nice shot--hope you eat what you kill.

I shot a cougar and didn't eat it. I did have the hide tanned though. Really doubt that a squirrel shot with a 223 would be edible. 190 at a squirrel is a excellent shot!

yobuck
03-23-2014, 08:56 PM
uhhh brian, how do you know there isnt any longarms tuned in here?
there is a season on squirles, and this aint it. lol.

foxx
03-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Still open season in Michigan! LOL

Silvercrow1
03-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Yobuck-too late to plead the 5th?? Thermaler- see my earlier post. Edible if you like puree...Chuckarmandoo- thanks. Again- know I shouldn't of done it...but how do you keep a shot like this to yourself...?
Not trying to brag- just very happy with the gun and how far I've come in a relatively short period of time. I just gotta work on my impulsiveness...
Brian

yobuck
03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Your all set for a prairie dog hunt. Best thing about that is theres no season on them.lol

Silvercrow1
03-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Your all set for a prairie dog hunt. Best thing about that is theres no season on them.lol

Yobuck- a PD hunt is on my short list of hunts I want to do! In the meantime I live vicariously through the YouTube videos of prarie dog hunts, rock chuck hunts etc.

Brian

yobuck
03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Yobuck- a PD hunt is on my short list of hunts I want to do! In the meantime I live vicariously through the YouTube videos of prarie dog hunts, rock chuck hunts etc.

Brian

You should, in fact everybody should who enjoys shooting. Its a very relaxed and enjoyable hunt.
No time frame by way of a season, no expensive licenses and guide fees, and no self exerted pressure
to get an animal. Travel expence is pretty much the total cost depending on location and accomodations preferred.