PDA

View Full Version : 190 Yard Squirrel

Pages : 1 [2]

Silvercrow1
03-26-2014, 12:54 AM
You should, in fact everybody should who enjoys shooting. Its a very relaxed and enjoyable hunt.
No time frame by way of a season, no expensive licenses and guide fees, and no self exerted pressure
to get an animal. Travel expence is pretty much the total cost depending on location and accomodations preferred.

I received a PM from a member from Idaho offering an invitation. If you know somewhere, perhaps a tad bit closer to Pa., I'd be much obliged! If you don't want to post it please feel free to PM me. I love Idaho- spent 30 days there summer of '79, St. Maries / Cour'de lane (SP) during "Paul Bunyan" days. WOW! Party hardy. But closer would be more doable for me. Thanks!

Brian

limige
03-26-2014, 03:11 AM
If I go to idaho ill be going to hunt elk mulies or something better. How hard is a moose tag? Big horn??

Idaho is freaking awesome. I need a killer job to move there.

yobuck
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Many of the western states have good populations of prairie dogs. Some require a license and some dont.

Hunting to some of us means a photo standing behind a trophy animal and a mount on the wall.
In reality however not many of us ever get the oppurtunity for the trophy animal including those of us who make the trips.
To me a mule deer has very large horns of say over 25 inches. Of all the guys ive known who have hunted them
numerous times only a couple have nice animals to show for it. Of coarse you will never get one if you dont try and thats called hunting.
So its highly likely you will come back empty handed without even firing a shot. Enjoyment is enjoyment, the differences are mindset.
Last time i went west for prairie dogs i pulled into a rest area in ohio. There was a pickup from pa just in front of me with a guy and his wife.
They were on their way to wyoming for antelope for about the 25th time according to him. He couldnt believe we were driving all that distance
just to shoot prairie dogs. I asked him how many shots he expected to shoot. He said probably 2 total but maybe a couple more.
I said well we expect to shoot at least 500 each over the coarse of a week and maybe more. Same could be said about fishing.
Do you want a trophy, or do you like eating fish?

limige
03-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Thats the reason. I duck hunt lol. Another great out west thing to do!

Silvercrow1
03-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Yobuck- Right with you man! I like shooting- and plenty of it. I like Doves better than Small Game season; like Small Game better than Deer...

Gonna make the trip out there soon I hope.

Brian

yobuck
03-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Plan your trip for early fall like mid oct.
You can have dogs, pheasants, and antelope on the same trip.
You would need to apply for an antelope tag which is mostly by draw.
Sometimes there are unsold tags for certain areas which can be bought
over counter when you arrive. Small game license can be bought after you arrive.
Best to have ample time in order to take full advantage of all oppurtunities.
That means be very carefull who you choose to go with. Long time friends can become
ex friends on long trips. Travel cost are the bulk of the expence. Meals dont count as most
of us eat at home also. Marathon type trips with non stop driving and just a couple days shooting
appeal to some due to time constraints. They dont appeal to me however. Id rather not go thank you.
Ive made several trips alone for those very reasons. There are great people living all over this country.
Take the time to meet some on trips like that. On one trip alone i decided to stop in gillette wy and meet
a guy id spoken with on a website. He has a gunshop there just south of town. I was planning on about an
hour visit before moving on to my destination in montana. I was in gillette for 5 days and shot a very nice
antelope thanks to my new friend.