PDA

View Full Version : Apache Gun Works 260AI

Pages : [1] 2

foxx
03-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Was hoping to get a heavy sporter 260AI from Jim at Apache... Everything I read about his stuff is good.

He said he would like to offer 260AI, but he's not quite ready to invest in the reamers at this point... has some other people asking, but needs a few more "buyers".

I'm hoping some others would like one of his in 260AI and are ready to order so he'll take the plunge.

I'm committing if some others will. :)

Please let him know.

Thanks.

Hotolds442
03-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Buy them yourself and charge him royalty every time he uses them :)

COplains
03-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Buy them yourself and charge him royalty every time he uses them :)

that's too funny...but hey, might work. I want one for the next build but it will have to wait 'til someone I don't know dies and leaves me lots of money :)

Apache
03-14-2014, 09:04 PM
ROTFL!!!!

I love capitalism!

bootsmcguire
03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Capitalism at its finest. Hopefully a few people will commit and he can justify getting the reamer. Jim's work is top notch. My 6WSM barrel Jim built for me is a real shooter. The 450BM is a promising barrel as well and the machine work on both is great. I need to get on the ball and get him rolling on my next special project before you guys get him so swamped that he starts having 12-18 week waiting times. Hmmm if that's the case maybe I need to quit promoting him and start bashing so the wait time will stay low.......
Nah, couldn't do it. Too good of work and too nice a guy. ;)

Hotolds442
03-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Capitalism at its finest. Hopefully a few people will commit and he can justify getting the reamer. Jim's work is top notch. My 6WSM barrel Jim built for me is a real shooter. The 450BM is a promising barrel as well and the machine work on both is great. I need to get on the ball and get him rolling on my next special project before you guys get him so swamped that he starts having 12-18 week waiting times. Hmmm if that's the case maybe I need to quit promoting him and start bashing so the wait time will stay low.......
Nah, couldn't do it. Too good of work and too nice a guy. ;)
No kidding! I have my own story that I'll post later that shows just what a top notch guy Jim is.

sinman
03-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Reamers get expensive but it is pat of the job, I currently have 70+ reamers

missed
03-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Reamers get expensive but it is pat of the job, I currently have 70+ reamers

As goes for any machine tooling!

sinman
03-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Exactly, the machine can be the cheap part, maintenance and tooling is the expensive part

missed
03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm working on getting an old monarch lathe and the motor rewind or replacement and the vfd is more money than the machine it self!

Hotolds442
03-17-2014, 01:59 PM
What are you looking for in a VFD? I may have something.

missed
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
What are you looking for in a VFD? I may have something.

7.5 HP with the ability to disable the phase loss protection, 230 volt.

Hotolds442
03-17-2014, 02:16 PM
I'll do some looking tonight.

jbjh
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Can't you rent the reamers?

foxx
03-18-2014, 12:54 PM
I have seen reamers for rent, but I doubt someone like Apache Gun Works would want to rent something they will eventually buy. From what I understand, Jim started making barrels more or less as a hobby / part-time business and, for a while had rather limited supply of reamers. I guess he does beautiful work with top-end blanks, and also offers a niche market for lower-cost barrels for those wanting to upgrade from factory, but not necessarily go all-out with top-of-the-line blanks, too. The neat thing is, from what I've read, a lot of these less expensive barrels are real shooters! He has not been doing this full-time for very long, and is still acquiring tools. Until the demand is there for a particular barrel, he doesn't want to invest in the reamers. Sounds sensible to me. Check out his web-page, you'll get a better idea of what he's about.

jbjh
03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Been perusing Apache's website for a few months now - he'll most likely be my next barrel purchase (Savage or AR-15). And from a long-term business standpoint, I understand why Apache wouldn't want to rent reamers, but I was thinking more about the OP renting the reamers to use on this particular barrel, for which Jim has no reamer at this time. Heck, spin 2 or 3 barrels off while you have them. Win-Win!

I have seen reamers for rent, but I doubt someone like Apache Gun Works would want to rent something they will eventually buy. From what I understand, Jim started making barrels more or less as a hobby / part-time business and, for a while had rather limited supply of reamers. I guess he does beautiful work with top-end blanks, and also offers a niche market for lower-cost barrels for those wanting to upgrade from factory, but not necessarily go all-out with top-of-the-line blanks, too. The neat thing is, from what I've read, a lot of these less expensive barrels are real shooters! He has not been doing this full-time for very long, and is still acquiring tools. Until the demand is there for a particular barrel, he doesn't want to invest in the reamers. Sounds sensible to me. Check out his web-page, you'll get a better idea of what he's about.

Apache
03-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Foxx pretty well nailed it.

As for renting.....I can rent them but it will cost more to do the job then.....plus I DO NOT like rented reamers very much. You don't know the history of the reamer. But I will use them if that is what a customer wants even after I explain my thoughts on the issue . All but three or four of my reamers are all ground to my specs. I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to throat and freebore dimensions.

As for the "rest of the story"......I was seriously injured in a fall out of an attic and crushed my heel bone an fractured the bone just above that in several places. I was an HVAC tech until then.......the fall ended my career as an "attic rat" and I needed something to do. I'm not a set and watch T.V. kind of guy......I would die an early death doing that!!!

As this was my hobby to begin with, I decided to give it a go as a business and it has went exceptionally well thus far. I try my best to do business "old school" and try to build every barrel as though it were my own. The work part is a lot fun and very enjoyable.....but the business side, well, let's just say I've had headaches that were more pleasant! All the government extortion fees are ridiculous! :frusty: :puke:

emtrescue6
03-19-2014, 02:27 PM
a 260AI may well be my next build as well....just gotta find an action....hmmmm

Apache
03-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Well.......it looks like the demand is there so I went ahead and spec'd out the reamer and ordered it from PT&G. Now the waiting begins. LOL!

foxx
03-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Oh SHOOT!!!! How do I explain this one to my wife?