PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 30-06 Core Lokt 165gr HELP!

Pages : [1] 2 3

mazda3gun
03-12-2014, 10:27 AM
The weather was FANTASTIC here yesterday, reached to 70*!!! So, me and a few guys went out to ring some steel and I sighted(attempted to) in my 110 and 64. The 64 was easy, I was able to plant it pretty solid against a table with the bipod and hold steady. The 110 was a bit of a struggle, couldn't get a groove where I was comfortable to shoot. It's not a formal gun range, for now, just an open expanse of sloping 250yds with a backstop. So we set up to shoot at about 50yds, walked 45 steps and called it 'good'.
I'm not sure if I was shaking too much or what, my nerves are shot from an accident I was in years ago and I've been shocked with some serious DC voltage in my telephony career. Even with a bipod on the 110, I was wobbling all over and couldn't hold target very well.

So, who can help me with a closer zero, say 25yds? Here's what I have from Remington's Ballistic Chart:
165gr Core Lokt
0.3 @ 50yds
0.8 @ 100yds
dead zero @ 150yds
BC of 0.339

Should I take it to the LGS for a boresight and see where I'm at the next range day?

emtrescue6
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
You should be able to bore sight it easy enough on your own without needing to take it to a LGS....next time you are at the range, set a target up at 25 yards, pull the bolt from the rifle and set it up looking down the barrel at the target. Once the barrel is "on target" adjust your scope to match the sight picture of the barrel. This should work as good as any LGS will do ya with a bore sighter.

Also, I would suggest when sighting in a rifle to remove the bi-pod and use sand bags...I find bi-pods typically are less stable an simply allow more movement than I like for getting a rifle dialed in. Depending on what stock you have, bi-pods can also negatively effect accuracy...especially on the factory tupperware (non-accustock) Savage stocks.

mazda3gun
03-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Cool. Thanks! I did try without the bipod and did no good still. It's on a wood stock(factory).

I'll try the boresight method you mentioned and then dial in more precise from there. It's a hunting rig, not a target rifle, so if it's even getting 4" groups at 150yds, I'm ok with that. Shocking, I know, lol!

emtrescue6
03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
I'll also add that my personal experience with Core-Lokts has been hit and miss....I have a 243 that really seems to like them and a 308 and 270 that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them....after two witnessed failures on game (both from a 30-06 on elk) I'd never use them to hunt with ever again...just my personal experience, I know others have had different experiences.

It may also be the recoil...every 30-06 I have ever shot kicked like a mule and was unpleasant for me to shoot...yet my 7mm Mag and 348 Win don't bother me....that added with your shot nerves may just add up to the inaccuracy too...

mazda3gun
03-12-2014, 04:15 PM
It may also be the recoil...every 30-06 I have ever shot kicked like a mule and was unpleasant for me to shoot...yet my 7mm Mag and 348 Win don't bother me....that added with your shot nerves may just add up to the inaccuracy too...

It's enough to make a man wanna do a bedding/weight job with led ingots! Sadly, I can't because I want to keep it light so it's not such a chore to pack it through the woods.
Is there a "less recoil" factory ammo option? Different bullet grain? Without going to the "Recoil Management" crap, just sounds wimpy to me lol.

I think you're just trying to convince me to start barrel swapping...

emtrescue6
03-12-2014, 04:40 PM
It's enough to make a man wanna do a bedding/weight job with led ingots! Sadly, I can't because I want to keep it light so it's not such a chore to pack it through the woods.
Is there a "less recoil" factory ammo option? Different bullet grain? Without going to the "Recoil Management" crap, just sounds wimpy to me lol.

I think you're just trying to convince me to start barrel swapping...

Hey, It would be worth it to try the managed recoil ammo...while I have never shot them, I have heard good things. I am a reloader, so I rarely (if ever) buy factory ammo anymore.

BarrelBurner
03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Hey Mazda,
I have a couple of co-workers using the managed recoil remingtons in 30-06 successfully for whitetail deer. One developed a pretty bad flinch and the other lets his wife hunt with his so they both can use the same rifle. Not sure if I would be confident with them on bigger game though, if memory serves correctly I think they are only 125 gr pills.

emtrescue6
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Hey Mazda,
I have a couple of co-workers using the managed recoil remingtons in 30-06 successfully for whitetail deer. One developed a pretty bad flinch and the other lets his wife hunt with his so they both can use the same rifle. Not sure if I would be confident with them on bigger game though, if memory serves correctly I think they are only 125 gr pills.

Good point....the Hornady Custom Lite (reduced recoil) only loads a 125g pill for the 30-06 as well according to their website.

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Maybe they're worth a chance then, 125gr seems awfully small though, I had better make sure everything is all dialed in and working properly so I can nail the kill zone(big bucks) or shoot em in the head(does).

I didn't get time before it got too dark to try the Garand ammo. It's 'technically' illegal to use for hunting since they're FMJs too, and I abide laws, for the most part. But maybe the Garand ammo with less pressure will be the ticket. I'll see what the Managed Recoil costs compared to Core Lokt's. Afterall, it's silly to pay over a $1-$1.50 a round unless it's 50BMG...
I just plan on beating myself up and having a less than painless shoulder the following day when I go out to play with my .30-06:beaten:

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 08:22 AM
On a side note, the muzzle flash is about 12 inches long when it's dark enough to see it! IT LOOKS AWESOME!

barrel-nut
03-13-2014, 12:22 PM
I've tried the 30-06 managed recoil loads before, just out of curiosity, and honestly could not tell the difference. If someone were to load the magazine of my rifle randomly alternating between the Managed Recoil, and regular 150 gr Core-Lokts, I couldn't tell the difference by shooting them. Maybe it'll be different for you, with you shooting 165's.
In my opinion, recoil (or at least perceived recoil) is very subjective in nature. There are many factors that play into a given rifle's "kick". Obviously, the caliber, and bullet weight, and weight of, and type of charge of powder are huge factors. Rifle weight is another biggie. Lighter rifles tend to kick harder. Those things are basic factors in the physics of recoil. But from there, you have other things, such as stock design and recoil pad quality, that affect perceived recoil. The single most unpleasant to shoot rifle I've ever owned, was my first Savage in 7mm-08. The design of that wood stock, with lots of drop, and the hard sharp pad, made the little 7 feel much bigger than it should have. I've since had many other rifles that I've fitted with better quality stocks, with straighter combs and better pads, that have really changed the personality of each one. I wouldn't want to shoot that Savage wood stock I had on the 7-08 with any larger caliber, like a 30-06.
Hearing protection, or more accurately lack thereof, can also influence perceived recoil tremendously. I'm a great believer in wearing both plugs and muffs. This is an absolute must for new shooters, especially youngsters. If your ears are in pain with each shot, your brain will have a hard time differentiating between pain caused by the muzzle blast (sound) and actual recoil of the gun. At that point the whole experience just becomes a negative, and flinches develop. Also if you have any preexisting shoulder problems, or you are of smaller stature, then a wearable shoulder pad can be a great help. Even a doubled-up towel is good. Sorry for the rant, but one of my biggest pet peeves at the range, is seeing the occasional he-man father forcing his usually very young son to "be a man" and shoot, for the first time ever, a large caliber light weight hunting rifle with little or no hearing protection, poor form, and very poor instruction. Then when the little guy suffers through it just to please Dad, he laughs and makes him do it again. I know I'm way off topic, but that is how poor shooters come about, and it's very hard to overcome those bad habits once they're ingrained.

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 01:48 PM
I wear ear and eye protection both. Always will! So that's not much of a factor.

Just surprises me how I could shoot a 12ga, auto or pump, all day long and not feel it. But I can shoot 6 rounds with the .30-06 and hurt the next day...

I'm gonna give the Managed Recoil a try, if they don't work/help, I'll buy a new butt pad. I worked to stinkin hard on my stock to make it my own to just buy a replacement. I like the factory stock anyway. Call me old school!

GaryB
03-13-2014, 02:18 PM
I have two of these that I have had good luck with...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/367156/past-mag-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous?cm_vc=U112

After two detached retinas in my right eye I don't shoot heavy recoiling rifles anymore, but the Past recoil shield did make a marked reduction in felt recoil at the bench. You could even wear it under your shirt or coat and no one would know you had it on.

Something to think about.
Gary

emtrescue6
03-13-2014, 03:21 PM
$35 on a Limbsaver is well worth the cost....I'm not recoil sensitive, but I do have a Limbsaver on a couple rifles and it turned them both into a pleasure to shoot.

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2014, 04:07 PM
I've been following this thread with interest. As some of you know, I favor my beloved '06 as my favorite caliber / rifle.
But I have to comment here...
A young fella 27 yrs. old that can't deal with the recoil?

Here's what you do.
Go to your local shooting range & find a guy that'll let you shoot his Mosin Nagant. The kind with the steel heel plate where a soft squishy pad usually is.
After a day of shooting that Mosin your '06 will feel like a .22LR. Make sure you have an appointment with your chiropractor before hand.

Always glad to help.

emtrescue6
03-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I've been following this thread with interest. As some of you know, I favor my beloved '06 as my favorite caliber / rifle.
But I have to comment here...
A young fella 27 yrs. old that can't deal with the recoil?

Here's what you do.
Go to your local shooting range & find a guy that'll let you shoot his Mosin Nagant. The kind with the steel heel plate where a soft squishy pad usually is.
After a day of shooting that Mosin your '06 will feel like a .22LR. Make sure you have an appointment with your chiropractor before hand.

Always glad to help.

giggle....you said what I wanted to but resisted in fear of another "infraction" LOL

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Gotta have a little fun once in a while. It's good for the soul.

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
LOL. I was waiting for some old fart to call me a pansy! -meant all in good fun, Moderators, so relax please...

It's not the recoil I'm concerned with, initially, it's the shooting it to get the scope sighted in is the problem. A limbsaver pad might fix it, soft or not, I think I need a longer LOP anyway.
I shot my buddy's AR the same day, had to extend the stock fully and it felt right, however long that LOP is...

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
I think it could also be the fact I got whacked a few times with the old Simmons glass I had on it. The Nikon glass and Weaver base keep that from happening now.

emtrescue6
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
I think it could also be the fact I got whacked a few times with the old Simmons glass I had on it. The Nikon glass and Weaver base keep that from happening now.

hahhah that'll do er!