PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 30-06 Core Lokt 165gr HELP!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
So, who can help me with a closer zero, say 25yds? Here's what I have from Remington's Ballistic Chart:
165gr Core Lokt
0.3 @ 50yds
0.8 @ 100yds
dead zero @ 150yds
BC of 0.339

Should I take it to the LGS for a boresight and see where I'm at the next range day?

Main concern

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2014, 04:21 PM
I can't think of too many things that hurt as much as getting hit in the eyebrow with the scope bell. Especially from a "manly" caliber. I keep my eyebrows long to hide the scar. Kinda going for the "Andy Rooney" look....

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:21 PM
hahhah that'll do er!
Having your glasses becoming contacts hurts!

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:23 PM
So what model number Limbsaver fits a 110 factory wood stock???

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Pachmayr (spelling?) makes a nice recoil pad, too. I have one on my 12ga. Mossberg. It makes it quite a bit easier to deal with even after the shoulder surgery I had 2 years ago.
A good recoil pad is always a good investment.

You ever considered a muzzle break for that '06?

edit: They make spacers to increase your LOP a wee bit, too.
http://pachmayr.com/home/recoil-pads.php

emtrescue6
03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
So what model number Limbsaver fits a 110 factory wood stock???

Hit up their website....

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Nevermind, Amazon takes my money, again...

Got a giftcard for my Bday anyway. Gonna get some muffs too, tired of plugs only

mazda3gun
03-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Pachmayr (spelling?) makes a nice recoil pad, too. I have one on my 12ga. Mossberg. It makes it quite a bit easier to deal with even after the shoulder surgery I had 2 years ago.
A good recoil pad is always a good investment.

You ever considered a muzzle break for that '06?

edit: They make spacers to increase your LOP a wee bit, too.
http://pachmayr.com/home/recoil-pads.php

I've considered a brake, but I hunt with her. And from what I've read here, a brake will make it stupid LOUD. It'll recoil less, but be much louder. Right?

emtrescue6
03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Nevermind, Amazon takes my money, again...

Got a giftcard for my Bday anyway. Gonna get some muffs too, tired of plugs only

****it Amazon! LOL

fgw_in_fla
03-13-2014, 05:02 PM
I've considered a brake, but I hunt with her. And from what I've read here, a brake will make it stupid LOUD. It'll recoil less, but be much louder. Right?

Depends on which way the break ports are facing. The ports on my '06 are facing back so it's not as loud in the bullet direction but, standing next to me or behind me the noise & wind will definitely make you stand up & take note.
Recoil became negligible after the "break job"...
Makes it a lot easier to stay on target for that follow up shot, too.

Best pic I have for now. I only paid 40 bucks for this one & I love it.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/pics002.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/fgwinfla/media/pics002.jpg.html)

mazda3gun
03-14-2014, 08:54 AM
I've got a blued barrel, sporter contour, I think you fellas would call it. I call it skinny, like a normal plain old barrel. Not fat like a bull barrel or varmint.

So who will take my money and thread my barrel and put on a break?

Luke45
03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I'll also add that my personal experience with Core-Lokts has been hit and miss....I have a 243 that really seems to like them and a 308 and 270 that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them....after two witnessed failures on game (both from a 30-06 on elk) I'd never use them to hunt with ever again...just my personal experience, I know others have had different experiences.

It may also be the recoil...every 30-06 I have ever shot kicked like a mule and was unpleasant for me to shoot...yet my 7mm Mag and 348 Win don't bother me....that added with your shot nerves may just add up to the inaccuracy too...
Ive killed 7 elk with core lokts out of a 30-06! and ive witnessed another 25+ corelockt 30-06 elk kills. (growing up my dad, and both my brothers as well as myselft used 180 coreloks out of a 30-06 to put meat on the table) its the only load that i ever use that is not handloaded simply becasue it is so effective on elk, never seen an elk wounded with one. not even one time, even from 12 year old boys.

fgw_in_fla
03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Get in touch with Devin at Sinarms. He's member here. I've been trying to get my back-up 25.06 barrel to him for 6 months now. Every time I get ready, something comes up. Drop him a line of look for his site - Sinarms...

edit - http://www.sin-arms.com/

mazda3gun
03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
I hate to have my baby sent off though. But no better time than now. It won't get used for comps and deer season is a LOOOOOONG way out yet. So, I suppose I can part with her.

Isn't there a site sponsor that could do it too? Or at least sell the brake to me? Just wanna help pay the bills.

emtrescue6
03-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Ive killed 7 elk with core lokts out of a 30-06! and ive witnessed another 25+ corelockt 30-06 elk kills. (growing up my dad, and both my brothers as well as myselft used 180 coreloks out of a 30-06 to put meat on the table) its the only load that i ever use that is not handloaded simply becasue it is so effective on elk, never seen an elk wounded with one. not even one time, even from 12 year old boys.

As I said, other people have had different experience....I personally witnessed two failures on elk and a couple other near failures in my family... and wound NEVER again trust a hunt to these bullets. There's plenty of stories of both great success and great failure out there on the interwebs regarding core-lokt's, I am only speaking from the experience of my 4 brothers, piles of nieces and nephews, father, uncles and grandfathers....and my 30 plus years of hunting in 20 plus states and two Canadian providences taking deer, elk, bear, moose, caribou, hogs, pronghorn, etc...my daughter took her first deer at 9 with a single 100g Nosler Partition from a 243 @ 112 yards this year...I'm pretty confident in the bullets I use...and I am happy you have not had any issues with core-lokts and hope you continue to have continued success....this picture says it all for me....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/14/ehy5yret.jpg

emtrescue6
03-14-2014, 11:33 AM
I hate to have my baby sent off though. But no better time than now. It won't get used for comps and deer season is a LOOOOOONG way out yet. So, I suppose I can part with her.

Isn't there a site sponsor that could do it too? Or at least sell the brake to me? Just wanna help pay the bills.

Check around for a local smith...and sure you can find someone that can do it local for comparable or possibly even less $ and maybe quicker turn around. Lots of good local smiths out there....where are you located?

fgw_in_fla
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Dev at Sinarms is a site sponsor.
Or, look locally in your part of the world. Either way, you won't regret it.

emtrescue6
03-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Dev at Sinarms is a site sponsor.
Or, look locally in your part of the world. Either way, you won't regret it.

Totally agree with fgw....you won't regret a good break! I even have one on a new custom 257 Roberts AI...it doesn't really kick without it, but with it I can actually see bullet impact through the scope....and the couple of 308's that I have breaks on are like shooting a 223....a pure pleasure to shoot all day long!

fgw_in_fla
03-14-2014, 12:43 PM
And when shooting at sunset the flash coming out the side ports looks really cool, too.

FW Conch
03-14-2014, 01:59 PM
If you think you need to increase your LOP, get a Limbsaver Slip On. They come in Small, Medium, & Large to fit any stock. Then you could see how well it works without being permanent.

I only get scopes with 3.8" eye releaf or greater.

You may be attached to your "stock" stock, but the Ross Thumbhole, sold by Boyds & Stocky's, really reduces felt recoil.

Good Luck-Good Shooting.......Jim