PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people dump on Savage?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tokimini
03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
I used to be a die hard Remington 700 shooter until I got the chance to shoot my son's Savage in 300WSM and his buddy's Savage in 338 Lapua at the Williamsport 1000 yard range. I was extremely impressed by the accuracy of both rifles. Both are bone stock and all three of us were hitting clay pigeons
tossed on the berm behind the 1000 yard targets, and his buddy isn't even that good of a shot (sorry Will). When I got the opportunity to pick up a Savage action to do a 6BR build I was all over it. I've been checking out a 6BR forum and some posters seem to go out of their way to trash Savage. From their comments I doubt they have ever shot one, so I can't figure out what they have against Savage. All I can come up with is they are ticked off because someone's Savage that was built in a guy's reloading room for $1200 can equal their $3000 full blown custom. Any ideas?

BoilerUP
03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Either they hate the aesthetics of the action and barrel nut, or hate the feel of the bolt lift.

Or they have to somehow justify the money they spent on a custom action, or having their 700 trued.

A Savage action certainly isn't the nicest feeling in the world, but it is one of the most versatile...and right near the very top in providing value.

Tokimini
03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
The action and the barrel nut are kind of clunky looking. That was my biggest objection to a Savage until I shot a couple of them. They are very accurate but they are not an especially pretty rifle.

eddiesindian
03-11-2014, 11:02 AM
While choosing between both Rem and Savage for a nice target bolt gun, I noticed the price difference right away. I wanted something that came with a precision tactical stock, 24" fluted,threaded barrel. Anything rem had to offer was $4-500 over what Savage offered.
I agree with the rest as far as the mechanics of the bolt lift. Rem,s (to me) design of there bolt system is better. But at the end of the day, my Savage does exactly what there high dollar rigs do at 1/3 of the price.

Nemesis
03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
They are very accurate but they are not an especially pretty rifle.

It's like my old man says when looking at race engines. "All that chrome just looks good, it don't perform" LOL

Me, personally, I never paid attention to the barrel nut or anything like that. I don't care what a rifle looks like as long as it performs, which is what Savage does. But to give feedback to the OP, I think you answered your own question twice in your post.

jonbearman
03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
They bash savage because in statistics of winning benchrest matches only one person campaigned a savage in a national shoot.They(cuustoms) definetely have an advantage at being a stiffer action with a longer tenon to support the barrel and the bolts are way more shooth in operation etc etc etc . In the end it is what you want to afford and I enjoy my savage's and thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Kill N Grill
03-11-2014, 01:56 PM
It's all about bragging. Who they had do their custom work and how much they paid for it. Then comes the big kick that they only had to wait 18 months to get it back or more. They wear those things like a badge of honor. I don't get it myself. I would rather shoot mine than have it collect dust on a shop's shelf. Not bashing anyone that wants to do that and has the finances to do it. Just not what I am into. I shoot animals and targets but not for a living. If I did it for a living then I would have the best I could afford. But to this day no one has thrown down money when I shoot a small group with my clunky, ugly looking Savages. Ask the next guy that says a Savage is ugly what hand guns he owns. I bet 90% will say a Glock. Go figure.

hank440
03-11-2014, 08:50 PM
They dump on Savage because in the past Savage built some serious junk and haven't until recently outlived that reputation. Now they need to upgrade their rifles and get rid of the crappy plastic stocks on so many of their models.

BoilerUP
03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Now they need to upgrade their rifles and get rid of the crappy plastic stocks on so many of their models.

How would you have the rifles "upgraded"?

I agree on the stocks, and think the Accustock is a HUGE improvement over tupperware.

DanSavage
03-11-2014, 09:24 PM
I've had experience with several Remington's, including my Grandpa's 700 22-250. I don't like the way the back of the bolt looks on a Remington 700, it is at a sloped angle that doesn't line up with the bore. Remington factory throats are way too long, and also the Remington 700 short action seems smaller and not as solid as a Savage action. However, I am a fan of the Remington 40X series rifles and hope to have one in .222 someday.:rolleyes:

hank440
03-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Boiler

all they have to do is make the dang forearm stiffer, they flex too much, just add thicker plastic ribs or even install a boyds laminate.

DannoBoone
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Biggest gripe I've seen or heard is that they are ugly. One person said he had one umpteen years ago and it would not shoot so
he would never have another. Any manufacturer can put out a lemon once in awhile, but he wouldn't acknowledge a Remmy ever
being a bad shooter. As for the ugly, I have three stainless VLP's and stainless 10MLII, all with laminate stocks, and no one who
had seen them have referred to them as being ugly. They all just happen to be shooters, too. However, the 10MLII now sports a
PacNor .458 barrel.

COplains
03-11-2014, 10:47 PM
I think some of it is the "high dollar" boys have others do their work...most know that the Savage shooters, in large part, do all their own work only limited by tools at hand. Snob appeal is everywhere.

Geo_Erudite
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Haters gonna hate!

D.ID
03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Haters gonna hate!

+1
Mostly just ignorant, occasionally just arrogant. I thought the remington was the "only" rifle until I learned otherwise.
Then I figured out the simple (at home) tricks to make a savage even better.
Now days I am fazing out my rem 700s and win 70s in favor of the vastly superior savage. Who would of known versatility in a rifle action could be so useful? Any savage owner that has worked on one or waited months to get a remington re-barreled. That's who.
Some guys like to hide the mechanics under the hood or faring. They take pride in disguising the machine. I wanna see the engine, the heart of the thing.
I walk up to a rifle rack and scan for the barrel nut, the most beautiful and functional part. The rifles in the rack that do not have one just get ignored.

Mach2
03-12-2014, 05:14 AM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_HM77R_hawkeye.htm

Some may bash Savage but you will never read a critique of a Savage rifle like this negative critique of the very pricey Ruger Haweye bolt rifle.

Ol' BW
03-12-2014, 08:01 AM
You guys think y'all got it bad try being a H&R Handi-Rifle fan!

I am a gun fan. I like all kinds of guns. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Each is built for a certain purpose. The only kind of gun I don't like is an unsafe/broken gun.

From my experience, the biggest variable in a gun's accuracy depends more on the person behind the trigger.

BW

Tokimini
03-12-2014, 09:16 AM
I think some of it is the "high dollar" boys have others do their work...most know that the Savage shooters, in large part, do all their own work only limited by tools at hand. Snob appeal is everywhere.

That is why I went with a Savage for this build. I re-barreled my Rem 700 myself using a short chambered pre-threaded Shilen and did the finish chambering with a hand reamer. I had a blast doing it, had the rifle done in a week and the results were spectacular. I could not find a short chambered pre-threaded barrel in 6BR for a 700 action so I got a Savage. It is just so cool to be able to do this yourself and not have to wait 6 months to a year for a gunsmith to get around to you.

Mach2
03-12-2014, 09:36 AM
You guys think y'all got it bad try being a H&R Handi-Rifle fan!

I am a gun fan. I like all kinds of guns. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Each is built for a certain purpose. The only kind of gun I don't like is an unsafe/broken gun.

From my experience, the biggest variable in a gun's accuracy depends more on the person behind the trigger.

BW

I like my HandiRifle in .243 with wood stock. I like the breakopen action

Jeremy B
03-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I might be dumping on Savage if my new model 11 shoots like my first Bmag did. My nephew has a Axis in 243 that is nothing special but plenty good for hunting whitetail deer