PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people dump on Savage?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ol' BW
05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Good one Thermaler!

:D :thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D

missed
05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Yeah I have gotten the same skoff from sh. Would I like one of the ........ Rifles well yeah..... But $5k plus for the rifle alone, not when I already have another hobby that keeps me on the edge of bankruptcy!

BillPa
05-28-2014, 12:12 AM
After a while--you'll take special pleasure out of out-shooting there super-guns with your tinkered-Savage.

Do you mean like the fool shooting a Blaser who had the misfortune of getting on my wrong side when he said I should buy better rifles?

He was pretty feeling pretty cocky until we pulled targets and I asked him what gauge he was shooting. Just to **** him off some more I pointed to the other three Savages in rack in back of my truck and made him a deal, his "better shotgun" and $500 for any one of them. He gritted his teeth, spit a filling or two, loaded up his gear and left without saying a word! :p

Bill

Jonl
05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
She might be ugly but she sure can cook. I have had several Remingtons, none of which would shoot as good as either of my Stock Savages, but put a good McGowen barrel on them and look out. I am pretty happy with groups in the 30's. I guess I could spend another 15 grand and shrink to the 20's.

thermaler
05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Do you mean like the fool shooting a Blaser who had the misfortune of getting on my wrong side when he said I should buy better rifles?

He was pretty feeling pretty cocky until we pulled targets and I asked him what gauge he was shooting. Just to **** him off some more I pointed to the other three Savages in rack in back of my truck and made him a deal, his "better shotgun" and $500 for any one of them. He gritted his teeth, spit a filling or two, loaded up his gear and left without saying a word! :p

BillBwah hah hah--now that is funny!

thermaler
05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
She might be ugly but she sure can cook. I have had several Remingtons, none of which would shoot as good as either of my Stock Savages, but put a good McGowen barrel on them and look out. I am pretty happy with groups in the 30's. I guess I could spend another 15 grand and shrink to the 20's.Don't be calling my Axis ugly--I think she's gorgeous! And she isn't just for dress up to show off at the range--she goes into the woods in the rain and snow and gets bashed around pretty good.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/308axis_zps7bb615a5.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/308axis_zps7bb615a5.jpg.html)

bremereric
05-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Some including me have kinda dumped on our own flimsy barrel B-Mags. Especially when they came out with the heavy barrel ones.

wbm
05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
He was pretty feeling pretty cocky until we pulled targets and I asked him what gauge he was shooting.

Best post yet! Definitely gonna remember that one. :tea: Thanks Bill.

Few days ago some wadi on another forum said that after Savage was sold they are now being made in China. Reply? Nah. I didn't bother.

Steinmaster
05-29-2014, 11:02 PM
I bought my first Savage rifle a few months ago (22-250 Model 12 VLPDBM). I love this rifle. It is the most accurate rifle I own now. It out shoots my Cooper 308. I sold my Remington 700P LTR to buy a Savage LRP in 260 Remington. Years ago I viewed Savage as a cheap economical gun, not an accurate gun. I always went with Remington or Winchester rifles. Savage really improved their rifles. I can't wait to get my Model 12 LRP 260 Rem out and see how it shoots (after the monotonous barrel break-in).

psharon97
05-30-2014, 10:12 AM
I once asked a shop owner to compare the Remington to the Savage. He insisted that the Savage was junk. I replied if both actions were timed and trued, both a custom barrel installed from the same manufacturer and same smith cut the chamber, same stock, same trigger, same scope, same scope mount, which would shoot better. He emphatically said the Remington would. Some people can't help it.

To me, the best looking rifle from the factory was the Ruger m77 mkII. I think that action, from the factory, to be smoother than the Remington, plus I like the extraction, very similar to the Mauser action.

ywhic
05-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Considering the Savage price point on the model 10's is right up with the Remmy's I don't know why people are STILL griping.

My 11 (HH in 308) worked great out of the box..

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/750project/Savage11HH.jpg

500 and 750 yard shooting after 1 box to zero at 100 and then 200 yards..

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/750project/combodistance.jpg

BillPa
05-30-2014, 02:51 PM
I once asked a shop owner to compare the Remington to the Savage. He insisted that the Savage was junk.

One day when I walked into one of the local toy shops when a guy I used work with was looking over a few rifles on the counter one of which was a Stevens 200. He asked if I were buying a one of them which would I choose. Without hesitation I pointed to the Stevens. The counter guy gasped so hard I thought for a second he was going to swallow his face!

Tom asked why I'd buy the 200. Like I told him, you can spend two or three times the money, but it will shoot just as well if not better than the others.

When the counter guy started to protest I asked him if he would be willing to waive his commission since he would pocket more bucks on the higher priced rifles.

End of the conversation!:p

Bill

wbm
05-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Money do talk!

Similar thing happened when I was in a gun shop in Walterboro South Carolina this winter. Guy was looking at a Remington 770 in .308. He looked at me and said "whatdaya think?"....I just shook my head no. Got a dagger look from the shop owner. Guy says "well I was looking for a .308 what would you get. "A Savage", says I. Shop didn't have any Savage's so I told him to check out Wal-Mart. Thought the shop owner was gonna have a cerebral infarction so I beat a hasty retreat.

iroclvl10
05-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Just take a look at the new 783 Remington's. Guess what they have. Yup a barrel nut. Imitation is the best form of flattery. Must not be so bad for them to use it.