PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have one of these ?

Pages : [1] 2

walker 300wsm
02-15-2014, 09:28 PM
So I recently purchased a Model 14 in a .300wsm. I have done a lot of looking around in the forums, and even in the search bar. I am new to the forum, and too savage rifles. I was wondering if anyone here has one of these, and what their opinion on them is ? I was also thinking about changing this too a .308 ? Would this even be possible ? Thanks for all your advice guys :becky:

COplains
02-15-2014, 09:58 PM
You can make the change. Bolt head, and maybe couple other things. There are others here better versed than I...I only became addicted recently so still learning too.:p Have fun. kb

bootsmcguire
02-15-2014, 10:21 PM
You will need a 308-SA bolt head, a standard firing pin for SA, and a Large Shank barrel in 308.

The WSM rifles use the large shank rather than the Standard (Small) Shank, and the bolt head is thicker so it requires a WSM firing pin. If you put a 308-SA bolt head on you will need to install the regular style firing pin as well.

You will also need a 308 sized magazine box and follower.

walker 300wsm
02-15-2014, 10:35 PM
I guess my next question would be "Is it worth it ?" I wanted a savage in a 30-06 or a 308. I couldnt find one around here, and after doing some research, found I could change some things around. So to make a long story short. Would it be worth it to change to one of those two rounds? Or keep the one I have ? I have done some research and found that for everything you told me I would need, It would total $225 to switch it over too a .308. Would I need the same for the 30-06 ? Im still trying to learn the difference between all these different rounds lol

03mossy
02-15-2014, 11:28 PM
You came to the right place to learn. There is a crazy amount of knowledge on this board and people willing to help.

To answer the 30-06 question. No you can not switch your gun to a 30-06. Your gun is a short action, a 30-06 would require a long action. As long as you stick with a short action cartridge the sky is the limit. My Savage 10 started life as a 7saum and since then has been a .204,.223,270wsm and is now being turned into a 325wsm.

walker 300wsm
02-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Well the 300wsm seems too be pretty pricey around here, which is the only reason I was thinking of switching to a 308. So either way, I guess I am also gonna have to start getting into reloading. Which is fine, because now that I am not weighed down by the Army's demands, I am going to have a lot more shooting time, and a lot more hunting time :) Guess I will just spend the money turning it into one bad mofo hunting rifle !! I have a lot of plans for this rifle as I think I got a steal on it. Has a Leupold scope, and its a model 14 classic in a nice wood stock, paid 585 out the door. Hoping to do a lot of deer and hog hunting with her.

Hotolds442
02-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Only you can decide if it's really worth it. Total cost up front would be $225, but then you could pay the $15 to become a paid member here and sell your unwanted parts in the classifieds, lowering your total cost considerably. The tough part will be finding a 308 barrel in a large shank. You may be better off, if you reload, loading the WSM down to 308 levels.

walker 300wsm
02-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Only you can decide if it's really worth it. Total cost up front would be $225, but then you could pay the $15 to become a paid member here and sell your unwanted parts in the classifieds, lowering your total cost considerably. The tough part will be finding a 308 barrel in a large shank. You may be better off, if you reload, loading the WSM down to 308 levels.

What do you mean loading "down" to a 308 ? I thought the 308 was a heavier hitter ? Like I said in my newbie post. I have been around guns a very long time, but I still have a TON too learn !!

bootsmcguire
02-16-2014, 12:24 AM
The 300WSM will stomp the 308 in velocity and energy, all else being equal. I say keep it the way it is and spend the money to start reloading for it. JMHO.

walker 300wsm
02-16-2014, 12:30 AM
bootsmcguire, Thats what I was thinking. Im guessing the 300wsm is a great round for the fact that it costs sooooo much. I started looking into reloading today. Not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I think I am just gonna stick with my wsm, and start reloading. I really don't wanna mess with it too much, except add a sling and a bipod. It is a beautiful rifle, and cant wait too take it shooting. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a chance to put some rounds down range. I think I have found a good friend that has a bunch of land out here for me to shoot and hunt on :)

Tim300wsm
02-16-2014, 01:04 AM
300 wsm is roughly equal to the 300 win mag and blows the 308 and 3006 out of the water. You can also take advantage of the heavier 30cal bullets. It is a hell of a great round. I say spend the conversion money on reloading equipment and enjoy the wsm

walker 300wsm
02-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Tim300wsm I think that is exactly what I am going to do !! I am starting to like this wsm the more and more I read about it. It seems like it is a brute of brutes. I really wanna get into reloading, and was wondering now. Who reloads 300wsm, and can give me a good starting point on bullets, casings, powder etc ? I want to dial this thing in so that I can take down anything I want, and still be accurate up to 500 yards+ Any advice to this would be awesome !! Thank you all for the advice !! I love this forum more and more every second I am on it !! :)

bootsmcguire
02-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Your components for reloading may take some time to get ahold of right now as we are in the middle of the Great Depression as far as availability of shooting supplies goes. So take your time and be diligent in searching for the items you need. Keeping checking at places like Midsouth, Midway, (http://www.midwayusa.com) Natchez, (http://www.natchezss.com) Brownells, (http://www.brownells.com) and all the others. Do some reading here in the reloading boards and you will see there will be some applicable information pertaining to the WSM line of chamberings. Also pick up a good reloading manual and read through it. One of my favorites for a good all around manual is Modern Reloading (http://leeprecision.com/modern-reloading-2nd-ed.html) by Richard Lee which serves as the Lee Precision Reloading Manual. The first third of the book is all the how to's of reloading and it is a good starter tutorial. You can get that book at the Lee website or from any of the retailers I linked above.

Tim300wsm
02-16-2014, 06:30 AM
I have a lot of win brass due to availability but if you can get it norma is the way to go. My rifle really lliks the heavier stuff I shoot mostly 208 grain hornadys. Berger vlp hunting would be a good choice for hunting and targert but good luck finding them. Nosler accubonds shot well for me. As far as powder goes I have used reloader 17 with great results. 59.7 gr and a 208 Hornady bthp had me hitting clay pigeons at 1000 yards. I also have used superformance and I was finally able to get some aa4350 but I haven't gotten to do any load development with it yet.

walker 300wsm
02-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a solid plan. I talked it over with the wife today. I'm gonna start loading both my 300 and my 12ga rounds. As we are going to start building our collection, it will be beneficial too reload our own rounds. Our next purchase is probably going to be chambered in a .243 :)

walker 300wsm
02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Allright, Its official. I talked it over with the wif today. She wants a savage chambered in a .243 :) So I guess my next buy and build will be a savage in a .243 Does anyone have a suggestion on a REALLY good model for one of these ? She is going to want to change the stock out and all, I have taught her well :)

emtrescue6
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM
If hard hitting is what you want, you will love the 300WSM...it's a great caliber that loaded properly can outperform the 300WM and in a short action to boot and the capability to shoot the heavier bullets.

There are many good options for a .243....I have several .243's but my favorite is my Remington 700 BDL. If yer stuck on a Savage, look for a Model 11 or 12...they typically are pretty easy to find and are accurate and handle well. I really like my 11 in 7/08. Welcome to the obsession!

walker 300wsm
02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Completely obsessed with savage now lol. I was looking at the model 11 for sure. The main reasons of course is the versatility of a build on it. Plus the fact that you can pic them up pretty decently priced. The 700 is a beautiful rifle, but I dont think she is willing to spend the little extra on the 700. Plus.....I am pretty hooked on savage now. I own the .22lr mkII plus now my 300wsm model 14. They are both great rifles !! Shotgun is handled by a mossberg 500 12ga, and I look forward to working and tweaking the loads on that as well too vary from duck, to turkey, to quail, and back home in Ohio, I have a rifled barrel for slug (since shotgun slug and bow is all we can use up there). I am REALLY getting into this now that I have the time, since I have separated from the Army :)

I am going to stick with the 300wsm, and found a place in town that is decently priced for ammo ( and the good stuff). I am going to buy from him for standard load, and reload from those rounds :) He is going to hook me up with a great reload system for a pretty cheap price. It is a progressive press and scales and all for less than $400. Is that a decent price ?

Sorry, had to edit

emtrescue6
02-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Say goodbye to your cash walker....it flies out the window fast! hahaha I buy 5-10 rifles a year now...hahahaha! Reloading is a whole 'nother story. If you plan to reload...start with buying a couple different reloading manuals before you buy any gear...then when you do buy gear, buy quality gear (buy once, cry once)...

walker 300wsm
02-18-2014, 08:44 PM
emt....I have already had the talk to the wife that cash was gonna fly out the window pretty quick. However, I just landed a sweet paying job that is going to give me plenty of time to play with the toys, and she said she is tired of sittin around the house, and is going to be getting a job as well :) I already own two reloading manuals and have been reading up on them. I look forward to everything in the future, and me and my wife hunting and shooting together :)