PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Removal

Pages : [1] 2 3

COplains
02-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Is it possible, or pratical, to remove a barrel with just a wheeler action wrench and barrel nut wrench? My vise died. Or will I just screw up the action in the process? It is a 110 la. Seems like if I place things just so, use a wood or rubber mallet I can pull it off but this is a factory mount so Mongo has his say too. Thanks, kb

BillPa
02-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Is it possible, or pratical, to remove a barrel with just a wheeler action wrench and barrel nut wrench? My vise died. Or will I just screw up the action in the process? Thanks, kb

Its much easier to undo Mongo' work by holding the nut and turning the action, why I came up with this gadget. Seldom if ever had I had to use all my 245# to loosen one. In fact it take me longer to set it up than to takes break an action loose.

http://i33.tinypic.com/3ggat.jpg

No, it won't screw up your action, thousands of barrels (Remington, etc) have been removed with them. That one in the picture has done more than it's fair share.

Bill

Hotolds442
02-14-2014, 02:27 PM
The key to the action wrenches, to avoid damage to the finish, is the bolt in the front action screw hole. Without that, expect that the wrench will slip and mar the finish. With Bill's setup, he can remove a mongo on steroids barrel nut.

foxx
02-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Yeah, until I got an action wrench, I fought like heck to remove 2 different factory nuts and never succeeded. Damaged a barrel, though.

Once I got an action wrench, it was slicker than snot. Never bothered with the barrel vice. I put a long handled wrench on the nut wrench, though, for extra leverage. Laid it out on the floor, lifted on an end of one of the wrenches and it just eased itself loose. I laughed at my prior efforts, it was so easy.

BillPa
02-14-2014, 03:41 PM
The key to the action wrenches, to avoid damage to the finish, is the bolt in the front action screw hole.

I might add I put a layer of vinyl electrical tape on the wrench bore to protect the action and use a G8 Allen bolt through the wrench head in the action. I don't like the wrenches with a cutout to engage the lug. "IF" the wrench slips on the ring the pin in the lug will or can enlarge the cutout in the action and you'll have a slop fit forever more.

Bill

Swissfan
02-14-2014, 03:44 PM
I just removed the barrel from my rifle just as you have asked while I was at home for lunch. This was my very first attempt at this, and was very simple. I did just as BillPa did, without the fancy jig, just laid it on the floor.

foxx
02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
I just removed the barrel from my rifle just as you have asked while I was at home for lunch. This was my very first attempt at this, and was very simple. I did just as BillPa did, without the fancy jig, just laid it on the floor.

But you did use an action wrench, right?

Elgin
02-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Yep, I usually only use my vise if I have a stubborn barrel, otherwise I just use the action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and maybe a rubber mallet.

brasse
02-14-2014, 05:42 PM
I never put the action in a vice if it has the slotted barrel nut. Rap on the Wheeler wrench with a hammer while holding the action in my legs.

Swissfan
02-14-2014, 05:42 PM
But you did use an action wrench, right?

Yes, I used an action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Once the barrel was off the receiver, I had to put the barrel (wrapped in leather) in a vise to remove the nut. I had to work the nut back and forth a few times before it was able to be completely removed.

Hotolds442
02-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Gotta love that blast media they mix in with the threads!

Blitzfike
02-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Gotta love that blast media they mix in with the threads!

This is the single largest cause of mongo tightness in my opinion.. Little silver beads throughout the threads...

Slowpoke Slim
02-14-2014, 06:34 PM
I never use a barrel vice myself. I find them completely unnecessary if you have an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. I put the action wrench in my bench vice and whack the barrel nut wrench with a dead blow hammer...

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/Step4.jpg (http://s490.photobucket.com/user/slowpokeslim/media/Step4.jpg.html)

Mongo never stood a chance with this setup.

And I also wrap the front receiver ring with tape to prevent any finish marring with the action wrench.

Slowpoke Slim
02-14-2014, 06:36 PM
This is the single largest cause of mongo tightness in my opinion.. Little silver beads throughout the threads...

That and bluing salts wicking their way up the threads on the older blued guns.

RP12
02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Does a barrel vise not work as well as an action wrench ? It just seams counter productive to have to remove the bases every time.

foxx
02-14-2014, 11:55 PM
You need both. Something to hold the action when turning the nut. I've tried clamping the barrel in a vice, but it slipped/spun no matter what I tried to do to hold it. Probably b/c it is tapered. In any event, something has to hold the barrel or the action while you turn the nut. After you've removed the factory nut once, it may not be necessary to use the action wrench.

Sorry, I did not read you right, RP. I suppose if you had a good barrel vice, it would work just as well. However, the action wrench worked so well for me I won't bother looking for a barrel vice now that I have the action wrench.

COplains
02-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Well Gents....using all of your input and some pretty whacked shade tree engineering....voila!!!! You were right. Have the nut soaking in some "un-lock me" as the barrel came out of the action first, but it worked. Thanks much, I'd a been too chicken to try it without all your input.

WYcoyote
02-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Does a barrel vise not work as well as an action wrench ? It just seams counter productive to have to remove the bases every time.

I have used just a homemade barrel vise on several swaps with great success.

BillPa
02-15-2014, 05:21 PM
It just seams counter productive to have to remove the bases every time.

Using slotted nuts you don't have to remove the mount(s) or even the scope for that matter. You only need a rear entry wrench and a open ended spanner. (nut wrench).
http://i34.tinypic.com/21omvia.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/20iwen6.jpg

I've swapped barrels on a shooting bench and or the tailgate of my truck at the range. One day just for S&G I shot four different barrels, one installed and three swaps only using those two tools.

Its not to say it doesn't require some practice but its certainly not difficult once you get the hang of it.

Bill

foxx
02-15-2014, 05:29 PM
BillPA, can you remove original, factory-installed nuts with these tools?

I only have difficulty with the initial removal.