PDA

View Full Version : Budget scope

Pages : 1 [2] 3

big honkin jeep
02-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Gary
The ones I currently have are not illuminated. I have been considering one though. I have found crazy good light transmission that will enable me to see well before and after legal shooting hours across open greenfields when deer hunting. (1/2hr before sunrise and 1/2hr after sunset)They still do well with very little ambient light into darkness but the standard etched reticle becomes hard to pick up then even when you can still see game in the field. of course it's too late to shoot by then and I'm usually just trying to make sure I don't spook anything while getting out of my stand. I do like the adjustments and I have found them to be repeatable when put to the box test. My past Burris product experiences and the price, especially with the rebate they were offering at the time, got me to buy my first E1. I couldn't believe what I got for my money and so as I needed glass I bought 2 more. Yes I have several of the"Gold standard" for hunting rigs as well as several other well known major Brands that are well reviewed and often recommended by others. I have no problem recommending the Burris E1 based on the great performance I've experienced.
I guess not too many guys have tried em or I'm sure there would be lots more good reviews on em.
Good luck

Texgunner
02-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info BHJ! I've researched them a bit and there really aren't any negative comment on them, albeit, there aren't that many reviews out there. I'm setting up the 99 for both deer and hogs, but of course only the hogs will be hunted at night. It just seems sensible to have the illuminated reticle, all other things equal. Amazon, of all places, has had about the best price I've seen lately.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a '42 Swiss K31. I've been impressed with the Bushnell but I don't think the Elite is available with an illuminated reticle. I have been looking at another scope, a Weaver 1.5-4.5x24 Classic Extreme 30mm tube. It has an illuminated dot in the center of the cross-hairs. I have a Weaver V-3 1-4x24 on an FAL and really like it. In fact, that's what I used to kill two hogs last year. I'm thinking this more compact scope might be more at home on the Savage 99. Decisions, decisions.
Gary

Texgunner
02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I ordered a Weaver 1.5-4.5x24 Classic Extreme 30mm tube this morning from Natchez. It has an illuminated center dot in the reticle and the straight 30mm tube, no bell, in front. I think it's going to fit good on the Savage 99. I'm using Weaver bases and Warne Maxima TPA rings. Looking forward to murdering some piggies soon with this killin' machine, lol.
Gary

Jamie
02-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Crane,
Magnification does have an affect on brightness. Ever look through a scope at dawn or dusk that was on 10x and then turn it down to 3x? Seems a lot brighter on 3X doesn't it. That is because your eye can accept up to 7mm of light. Without getting into coatings and light transmission..... take the objective bell diameter and divide by the magnification it is set on. 40mm bell divided by 9x gives you roughly 4.2mm of light to your eye. Same scope on 3x will be around 13mm of light which is why it seems so much brighter. Your 2-7x 32 will give you 4.5mm on 7x so in reality you can go with the 27x and have equal to or greater light transmission.

Go put your eye to both of those scopes and pick the one you like best.

cranebird
03-07-2014, 05:15 PM
I finally got off my duff and ordered a scope.I was going to go with a Mueller but it was backordered 16 days so my second choice was a Burris full field II which was also not in stock so my next short lived choice was a Konuspro 3-12x 50 which had a waiting period of 7-16 days as well so finally I settled upon a Sightron SI 3-9x40 which seemed dirt cheap with a lifetime warranty, it will be here Thursday.I bought a Weaver 1 piece base and Weaver quad lock rings in Med & high to sort it out.Later I will pick up Burris zee rings and or another scope if this is not what I was hoping for, always the long road around but ain't it nice ?I could send the stuck Redfield in since it has a warranty but knowing it was my own fault,I can't do that so I choose to learn from my mistake.Thanks for your opinions,did think the leatherwood was what I was looking for,I wish I was able to see the scopes in person before making a decision.It is what I get for living out in the sticks.... Thanks again, Ivan

n4ue
03-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Cranebird, probably just as well you didn't get to look at a bunch in the store. The lighting kinda makes them all look pretty similar. I have a lot of scopes and here's what I do, FWIW...
I take several to the farm and set up different targets at several ranges. Then, I have several of my shooting buddies look through them (all set to the same power). Sometimes the results are quite surprising. I had just received a nice Nikon Monarch ($450). When it was compared to a $70 Wally World (Centerpoint), it got the same 'reviews'. The Nikon went back the next day.
I have had very good luck with Konus, Muller, Millett, Hawke. I bought a Fujinon 3.5X10 for my boss. It was so bright and clear, it almost hurt your eyes. I wanted to purchase some for myself, but alas, Fujinon discontinued them....
Let us know how you like the Sightron.......

ron

cranebird
03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I am impressed with the Sightron glass. This being their entry level Si model, it has excellent lens clarity. The lens covers sort of suck.I am sure the sleeves will eventually stretch out with time, I had to whittle the lid lip down on the rear cap because it was pulling the cover off before the cap lid released. The other somewhat negative is the hunter hold over system being zeroed at 200 yards. I don't plan on shooting 200 yards let alone 400 yards but they give you excellent data sheets to adjust for a variety of calibers and bullet /velocity selections, it takes a second to adjust from 100 yards to 200 yards to use the hold over system.I'm happy with the purchase for such a budget buy and with only 3 weekends of coyote season left, I didn't want to wait any longer to get the axis back in the hunt.

cranebird
04-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Might want to check out the new Burris E1 series. Awesome glass for the money. I like em so much I've bought 3 in the last year and I'm convinced you"ll not find a better scope even for close to double the money.

Actually I almost bought the predator quest 4.5-12x44 that has the E1 glass system but then I found a Nikon coyote special 4-12x40 on clearance because it was being discontinued and so I bought it instead. I am picking up another axis in 22-250 today so I think the Burris will eventually find its way on it before the next coyote season . The 3-9x40 Sightron has been a great scope but I'm wanting a little higher powered scope for next year.

Mike Vegas
04-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Burris and Vortex are both made in the Philippines and both have Lifetime warranty. I have no experience with the Burris low end scope but I peeked through the HD scope which is impressive... I have 3 Vortex scopes as I love their glass quality, construction and durability for its price. I like the fact that Vortex has the reticle I like (EBR-1), though I'm sure you can never go wrong with both... Nikon also has some lower end scopes and I love the quality of their glass, though their construction, reticle and durability needs improvement. For the lower end scopes, I would not install them on a higher recoiling caliber such as a 308, 30-06 or 300WM the low end scope just can't handle the beating in my opinion... I'd say buy high end quality scope, cry once...

scope eye
04-19-2014, 01:37 PM
These are the best scopes for the money I find, I have several of they 8-32X50 they also have a n excellent warranty.

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/categories/Rifle-Scopes/

Dean

SKami
04-19-2014, 02:59 PM
I have two Burris Fullfield II E1's in 6x20x50- I think they are hard to beat for the money!

cranebird
04-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Burris and Vortex are both made in the Philippines and both have Lifetime warranty. I have no experience with the Burris low end scope but I peeked through the HD scope which is impressive... I have 3 Vortex scopes as I love their glass quality, construction and durability for its price. I like the fact that Vortex has the reticle I like (EBR-1), though I'm sure you can never go wrong with both... Nikon also has some lower end scopes and I love the quality of their glass, though their construction, reticle and durability needs improvement. For the lower end scopes, I would not install them on a higher recoiling caliber such as a 308, 30-06 or 300WM the low end scope just can't handle the beating in my opinion... I'd say buy high end quality scope, cry once...

The Sightron SI 3-9x40 was also made in the Philippines. The $99 price tag is difficult to believe since it appears to be a solid quality built scope but in saying that it is perched upon a .223 caliber $259 Walmart bought Savage Axis rifle. I darn near pulled the trigger on a Tikka T3 rifle in 22-250 caliber today but I decided to go with another $259 Walmart special and throw a Burris predator quest scope on it and come out somewhat near the same price as the Tikka. I guess what it amounts to is what you are looking for in a rifle. I don't even need another rifle but I want one and since my passion is coyote hunting paying $600 for a Tikka seems sort of crazy since it will be exposed to frigid temperatures, rained and snowed upon with the possibility of being slammed to the ground when falling on ice as I did this last season. I missed the Timney trigger for $89 at Midway, I knew I should have bought it when I first seen it. I am at odds whether to buy the axis .223 barrel for $65 here at the forum and have it chambered for the .223 AI.I haven't fire formed a cartridge since I gave the 7-30 waters Winchester lever gun to my nephew but am thinking it would be entertaining to do so again....

cranebird
04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
These are the best scopes for the money I find, I have several of they 8-32X50 they also have a n excellent warranty.

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/categories/Rifle-Scopes/

Dean Thanks for the info. :rockon:

cranebird
04-19-2014, 04:41 PM
I have two Burris Fullfield II E1's in 6x20x50- I think they are hard to beat for the money!

:tea:

jalmeter29
05-03-2014, 11:31 PM
I here a lot of good things about primary arms 4-14x44 ffp mill/mill. I don't own it because I can't make the switch to mill knobs. Any one have this scope?

jeder212
05-04-2014, 11:30 PM
I here a lot of good things about primary arms 4-14x44 ffp mill/mill. I don't own it because I can't make the switch to mill knobs. Any one have this scope?

This is what I bought for my first build on a budget. So far I'm happy with it. Seems to track and return to zero just fine. I've honestly never used higher end glass, so I have nothing to compare it to.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/05/ubuvure8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/05/vyvy8y5e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/05/aganede3.jpg

That was my first time shooting at 600, and wasn't sure of my elevation adjustments, so I just fired 3 shots and drove down to the target. Was fairly surprised that I even hit it, ended up being about 9 inches low. Can't wait to get back out there now that I know my come ups.

cranebird
05-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I am drawn to bargain basement budget scopes like a bug to light. Lol. The last pair of scopes I bought was a good find. Nikon coyote specials 4-12x40 for $149.95 each. They were listed $329.95 regular price. In my opinion the $99 SI 3-9x40 Sightron scope glass clarity is as good as the Nikons. I was just looking for a bit higher power scope and the Nikon is a FFP so the BDC system remains the same size as you move the variable power, your not having to settle on using the max power like the sightron for using the hold over system.I don't know if that is a great thing but I like it since the higher power limits your field of view....

mtHunter82
05-08-2014, 09:26 AM
You can't go wrong with the Burris Fullfield II. I have the 4.5-14 on my Savage 110 chambered in .338 Lapua. I'm looking to upgrade to one of their tactical scopes as soon as I can afford one, but until then, I'm rolling the Fullfield. Only reason I want to upgrade is that the 34mm tubes offer more vertical adjustment for 1000+ yard shooting than the 1".

earl39
05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
You can't go wrong with the Burris Fullfield II. I have the 4.5-14 on my Savage 110 chambered in .338 Lapua. I'm looking to upgrade to one of their tactical scopes as soon as I can afford one, but until then, I'm rolling the Fullfield. Only reason I want to upgrade is that the 34mm tubes offer more vertical adjustment for 1000+ yard shooting than the 1".

The Sightron SIII will give more adjustment in the same power range for less money then the Burris tactical scopes will. I am using a max power of 24 for the comparison.

mtHunter82
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
The Sightron SIII will give more adjustment in the same power range for less money then the Burris tactical scopes will. I am using a max power of 24 for the comparison.

How's the clarity? I had a rifle with a Springfield 4-14x scope on it once, and I couldn't go over 12x because it'd get fuzzy. So nowadays I'm always skeptical of the budget high power scopes.
Thanks for the info...Sightron was one outfit I'd overlooked! Also looking at Vortex...