PDA

View Full Version : Barrel/Receiver Alignment issue with new FLCP-K

Pages : [1] 2

WNC Seabee
01-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Howdy all, I'm new here. I have a Savage BTVLSS .22 that I absolutely love. Picked up a brand new in the box FLCP-K .308 the week of Christmas and have had a heck of a time with it. I think my next step is sending it back to Savage, but thought I'd check in with the forum to see if there is any other advice.

- The rifle is new in box, or at least it was before I put ~20 rounds through it with this issue.
- Scope is a new Vortex PST 6-24x50.
- scope rings/base is a DNZ Game Reaper model 34200 1 piece.

I mounted the base and scope without trouble, everything was/is level and went on without any trouble. Torqued to ~22 in/pounds.

First range trip:

Got to the range and set up at 100 yards...not even on paper. BIG paper, like 3 ft x 3 ft.
Brought it in to 25 yards and find I'm hitting ~13" right and 4" low.
Ran the scopes windage adjustment all the way 1 direction, counting clicks, and then all the back the other way, then returned to center.
Put a round within 1/8" of the first shot - 13" right and 4" low. So, I'm confident the scope is tracking and the reticle centered.
Used nearly 100% of the windage to get 'almost' into the bull. I figure I'm needing close to 15mil of adjustment. That's no good.

Second range trip

Pulled the scope off the Savage and popped it onto my Ruger GSR. Nearly dead center with first shot. So, confirming the scope isn't to blame.
Popped a Leupold VX-R (from the Ruger) onto the Savage. 1st shot is ~13" right and 4" low. At least it's consistent!

Third Range Trip

New mount, same model though, I was hoping the least expensive bit of gear in the mix was the culprit.
Still 13" right and 4" low.
The mount sits square/flush with the receiver contour, so I don't think the screw holes are off center. The eye and rudimentary measurements says they're centered.

I sent an email off the DNZ asking if their mount was Right hand specific and won't work on my Left handed action...they say that's not the problem. Terrific service BTW, very quick to respond and helpful.

So...that leaves me with the rifle being buggered up. Perhaps the barrel and receiver aren't mating properly? I hesitate to do any wrenching on it as it's brand new. But, I also don't like that I have to pay shipping back to Savage for them to warranty it.

Any suggestions for what to try before sending it in?
If I do send it in, what's the typical Warranty Service experience with Savage? Will they send me a shipping label?

Thanks all!

- tim

FW Conch
01-31-2014, 06:36 PM
The front base screw could be too long, bottoming out on the barrel threads? If you put a broom stick in the scope rings you may find it "pointing off to the right?

WNC Seabee
01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
The front base screw could be too long, bottoming out on the barrel threads? If you put a broom stick in the scope rings you may find it "pointing off to the right?

I forgot to mention that I laid a 3ft wood dowel in the base to do just what you describe. My eye tells me it was coming off a very small amount, a degree or 2, to the right. But that may have been my imagination.

AZ_GUN_NUT
02-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Get some Millett Angle lock rings and that will fix your windage adjustment issue.

bluealtered
02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Welcome aboard WNC Seabee, if you contact savage they will help in every way possible to walk you through the problem. Theres a lot of very savy savage people here, just give then a little time and the forum can probably get it working right without going back to savage. Good luck

drybean
02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
a EGW base & a set of Burris signature zee rings will be your best bet

drybean

barrel-nut
02-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Or windage-adjustable rings like Leupold or Burris. Or Burris signature rings with offset inserts.
With your DNZ one-piece base, does it use beveled head screws (not sure of the actual name for these), or screws with flats on the underside of the heads? If you just barely begin to unscrew them, can you wiggle the mount left and right? If so, you can just reposition it and retighten. I had this same issue with a Weaver picatinny rail, and it had me pulling my hair out until I figured it out. Better to use a mount that uses the beveled, countersunk? style screws that automatically center the base.

WNC Seabee
02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Or windage-adjustable rings like Leupold or Burris. Or Burris signature rings with offset .

Even with being 13" @ 25yds off? 52" @ 100? I could see using adjustable rings if it were an 1" or 2, but this is exceptionally bad.

RiverSink
02-01-2014, 11:17 PM
It would be headed back to Savage if it were mine, that should have never left.

barrel-nut
02-01-2014, 11:51 PM
If it were just 1 or 2 inches off you would just correct it with your scope.

It's not impossible that your scope mounting holes are not on the centerline of the action. But it's much more likely that you have a scope mount problem. I'd try something different before sending it back.

J.Baker
02-02-2014, 05:29 AM
1. Call Savage and explain the issue. If the first line of folks give you the run around, ask to speak with Paul Smarrelli, he's the head of Customer Service.

2. When you send the rifle in, be sure to include 25 yard targets and explain in detail what you have done, what the targets depict, and that you have verified that the scope and the mount mount have been eliminated as the source of the problem.

That said, based on past experiences reported here I don't know what kind of satisfaction to tell you to expect. Generally speaking, when Savage gets a gun back they take it up to their indoor range, clamp it into the pneumatic vise table, zero it in and then shoot a couple groups with it. If it groups under an inch they pretty much consider it perfectly acceptable, even if you have to use up all your windage or elevation to get it zeroed.

Typically this problem is a result of the action being warped from the heat-treat process. A good gunsmith can easily straighten the action, but IMO if it's that bad you shouldn't have to pay a gunsmith to fix it as the manufacturer should step up and repair or replace it themselves. Doesn't always happen that way though.

WNC Seabee
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Called up this morning and had no hassles at all getting a UPS call tag issued. Their website says that shipping costs back to them for warranty service is not covered, so I was ready to fight over that. I have it boxed and ready for pick up tomorrow, hopefully they'll turn it around quick!

FW Conch
02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Good News "Seabee"! Please keep us updated on your progress with this. Thanks.....Jim

WNC Seabee
02-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Well, UPS delivered the rifle to them 2 weeks ago today. I called this morning for an update and am told six to eight weeks before they'll look at it. This is unacceptable to me, but they really have you over the barrel don't they?

I am beyond pissed off by that. It's a brand new rifle, broken out of the box. If we were dealing with any other industry I'd be able to walk into the store and walk out with a replacement with no hassle.

GatewayShepherd
02-23-2014, 11:48 PM
J. Baker…I think you awful optimistic that any good gunsmith can straighten a bent or twisted receiver. I think the reality of that is that you’d have a heck of a time fining one that would even attempt to mess with it.

WNC Seabee…Could have been a crown issue. But keep in mind it only takes .005” of shift at the scope to move 3.5” at 100 yards.

sharpshooter
02-24-2014, 01:04 AM
J. Baker…I think you awful optimistic that any good gunsmith can straighten a bent or twisted receiver. I think the reality of that is that you’d have a heck of a time fining one that would even attempt to mess with it.

Really? Heck, that's my specialty....:p

WNC Seabee
03-23-2014, 07:50 PM
6+ weeks....no word. I'm less than impressed with Savage customer service.

WNC Seabee
03-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Called their CS again this week....Progress! Was told they've replaced the barrel and it's now "in testing".

DSW308
03-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Well... that's some progress, WCB you a SeaBee out of Hueneme?

WNC Seabee
03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Well... that's some progress, WCB you a SeaBee out of Hueneme?

I was a CM out of Gulfport 20+ years ago. You?