PDA

View Full Version : Barrel/Receiver Alignment issue with new FLCP-K

Pages : 1 [2]

Westcliffe01
03-30-2014, 10:35 PM
This is a factory rifle, so they either didn't get the receiver face square to the bore of the action, or they used a nut that was not machined square to the thread, or the beefy lady that "straightens" the barrel with that press tweaked it in the opposite direction...

I got a Savage 10 with a 308 Shilen barrel in a trade on this forum where the seller had installed the barrel using the incorrect recoil lug. Remington recoil lugs use a small diameter pin (about 1/16") that is also much longer than the feature on Savage recoil lugs. The result was that the pin bottomed out in the recess in the action and then prevented the barrel nut from even touching the front of the recoil lug. As the nut was cranked on with the wrench, the pin cut a gouge in the softer nut until it finally locked up, still not touching the recoil lug on that side. The seller even claimed that it shot well in load trials...

Anyway, when I got it from UPS I was just sitting there checking it over and "something" just didn't feel right, so I took the barreled action out the stock and I had the receiver in 1 hand and the barrel in the other, when I noticed that I could get the barrel to turn... Whaaaaaattttttt ????????? Yeah, apparently someone shot it like that.... At that point I figured the head space had to be messed up, so I got the tools out and broke it down. Had a heck of a time removing the barrel nut (the seller re-used the "smooth" barrel nut) and found out why once I got it off.

All it took was a new nut and recoil lug + a $30 Go gauge and I had it back together and so far, it is the most accurate rifle I own. I can only imagine what the sellers "groups" must have looked like before and a warning to take people at their word on this forum... It also had the Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger in it that was the biggest turd I have ever come across in my life.

But the seller was glad to be rid of it. I put a regular accutrigger back in it and was glad to be rid of my last Remington which the seller got in return. He got quite a deal, a classic rifle + a 6.5x284 barrel with a brake + a second thumbhole stock and the rifle had a Shilen trigger + the factory trigger... As it turned out, the Savage lemon was made into lemonade but I never heard back if he had more success with the Remington or not. I personally think he should keep wrenches away from rifles, it is not his gift...

DSW308
04-01-2014, 09:38 PM
My Dad and I were Army, but I grew up in Camarillo, near Port Hueneme (Seabee Base) which I figured you would probably be familiar with... Thanks for your service!

LanceS4803
04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
While not a Savage, I had a muzzleloader with the exact same problem.
Tried everything and every ring/scope combo, nothing worked.
Finally put a straight-edge along the side of the base and discovered the scope base holes were drilled out of alignment.
Sometimes it is the simple things that cause the biggest waste of time.

WNC Seabee
04-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Called again today. 10 days after being told the barrel was replaced, I still hadn't heard anything. They tell me, "it could be a while before we test it, because, you know, there are others and sometimes we don't have ammo."

I expressed my displeasure. Firmly and directly, but without raising my voice or cussing.

I was told that a "Mary Ann", some type of manager, would look into it and call me "right back". That was about 10:45am today. I'm sure you're all shocked to hear that I did not receive a call.

LanceS4803
04-05-2014, 02:29 AM
You just have to get the right person there.
Last year I sent in a barrel action to have the factory pencil barrel removed and a factory fluted barrel installed.
They sent me back the wrong barrel installed, and didn't return my original barrel.
I called and asked about this and was told that since I never explicitly asked for my original barrel to be returned, it was scrapped. And, I wasn't clear on what barrel I wanted installed.
Ended up talking to a supervisor who immediately found my original barrel, sent a return ticket for the new barreled receiver and fixed everything.
Simply a matter of getting the right person.

WNC Seabee
04-10-2014, 10:39 PM
9 weeks now.

Never got my call from "Mary Ann" last week.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable in being extremely pissed off . The ONLY. Communication in these 2.5 months has been when I've called them for updates.

Unbelievable, unacceptable.

WNC Seabee
04-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Called for my update today, and was told "It shipped last Thursday, you should have it today".

WTF?!?! NO phone call or email suggesting I might want to be available to sign for it? No heads up at all?

Edit: 10 minutes later...
Just got a call from their CS Manager "Mary Ann"...To her credit she let me vent without trying to argue. I opened with "I thought you were a fictional character, this is the 3rd time I've been told you would call and first time I'm hearing from you." I'm getting a magazine out of it. Whoo hoo, right?

UPS says it'll be here today. We'll see if the wait was worth it.

SKami
04-21-2014, 10:18 AM
I just sent mine back last week, similar issue but more than 25 inches off at 25 yrds, they should get it today. I hope it's not typical to go 8 - 10 weeks; wisconsin doesn't have a warm season that lasts that long! Anyway, hope yours shoots well.

WNC Seabee
04-21-2014, 10:21 AM
I just sent mine back last week, similar issue but more than 25 inches off at 25 yrds, they should get it today. I hope it's not typical to go 8 - 10 weeks; wisconsin doesn't have a warm season that lasts that long! Anyway, hope yours shoots well.

Call their CS *now* and ask for Mary Ann. Tell her we (Tim Lau) talked and your situation. At this moment, I think she may be motivated not to have to hear about this again. She may find a way to expedite. Tell her, "I was talking to Tim about his horrible service experience, unfortunately my rifle is there for the SAME issue...I sure hope mine doesn't take 10+ weeks."

SKami
04-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks WNC, I will as soon as I get a moment-funny thing is, I'm already looking at NSS for an action and barrel, to do a custom build in .243w ( mainly cause I already have one, with tons of brass,etc.)
Steve.

WNC Seabee
04-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Was able to sneak out for a few (~15) quick shots this morning. Results are pretty good! I should have paid more attention when laying the ruler out, but eyeballing it seems to be ~3/4". This is 100 yards with Federal GameKing 165s. POA was the corner of the paper, at that point I had not touched the elevation on my scope and had already adjusted 1.5MIL left. Another 0.2 MIL should get me to POA/POI.

I'll start working up loads and really get it dialed in as soon as possible.

Only trouble today is that it refuses to feed from the magazine. The Customer Service folks said they have a magazine on the way to me for the above troubles. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv128/WNCSeabee/IMG_2811_zps3322f6ee.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv128/WNCSeabee/IMG_2812_zps7b75eaf9.jpg