PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 112 to bore sight

Pages : [1] 2

Nemesis
01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
I recently acquired a Model 112 LA in SA .223. The rifle is in a Choate Sniper II stock and it has 110 inside the stock. I've tried to bore sight the rifle at home, but can't get it to do so. On the rear of the action where the safety is, there is a very small gap where the action does not fit in the stock flush. Now this gap is extremely small, but I'm wondering if that could be the reason it won't bore sight. I mean it won't even come close. I'm gonna take it to my local shop tomorrow to see if they can do any better with it. The rifle shoots lights out, but it isn't where I want the groups because of the sight issue.

I'm not really fond of the Sniper II stock either. What budget stock could I replace the Choate with? I really want a factory style stock for the rifle.

Any information is appreciated...Thanks

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-20-2014, 01:15 PM
How is it not able to bore sight? You take the bolt out of the action, look down the barrel and focus on a fixed object, and then see where your crosshairs line up, adjust as necessary.

Now if you're trying to use a bore sighting kit and cannot see the bore sighter collimator crosshairs then your scope is probably too high and barrel length too short to get the collimator to be visible in the scope. I've had that issue as well. They work best with longer barrels and scopes set closer to the action.

Sounds like you mean you cannot get your sights to adjust to your target where you want it to shoot. It could be your scope mount and rings are off, tell us what you are using and we can probably help you better from there. What type of mount, rings, scope??? What exactly is happening???

Gmountain
01-20-2014, 01:16 PM
I had the same problem yesterday with my model 12. i used the bore sighter and could not get on paper. Strange, sicne I've mounted plenty of scopes. It was a .223 as well.

Then I remebered I had a laser boresighter cartridge for my AR's and I inserted that and used that to bore sight the gun. Got on paper right away and fine tuned it at the range. I have no idea why the bore sighter didn't work, but the laser did.

Hotolds442
01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
The tang at the rear of the action is supposed to be free floated, as well as the barrel. Any Savage 110 stock will work on your rifle, providing it's set up for your configuration, whether that is stagger or center feed, detachable, blind mag, or hinged floor plate model.
You didn't specify your scope/rings/bases, so not much help can be offered there, but just because it won't boresight doesn't mean you can't get it sighted in. I am currently going through the same thing on a 93R17FV - the factory bases,and my Weaver rings are not compatible and I'm out of windage and elevation adjustments and still not in the bull.

Nemesis
01-20-2014, 01:35 PM
I was using a bore sight tool that goes in the end of the barrel and projects a red laser. I can line up the left and right fine, but when I try to line up the elevation, it is quite a bit high from the laser.

The bases on the rifle are just a weaver style like comes on a Savage from the factory. The rings are a basic style with the bolt that sets in the center of the base and has jaws on each side that grab the bases. They are a cheap ring called Utility I believe. Good rings for what I've used them for. Have the same setup on my Model 12FV in .223 and it will drive nails, and have never had a problem out of them.

I will add this rifle has had the barrel cut down to 20" and recrowned by the previous owner. I'm assuming it was a 24" or 26" barrel when purchased. It's an older rifle, made in 1994.

Nemesis
01-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Double Post....Mod Please Remove.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
So you cannot get your elevation to come down is that correct? You have a Flat rear receiver, sounds like you either need to shim the rear mount or get yourself a 20MOA base which will correct the elevation issue.

Nemesis
01-20-2014, 01:53 PM
So you cannot get your elevation to come down is that correct? You have a Flat rear receiver, sounds like you either need to shim the rear mount or get yourself a 20MOA base which will correct the elevation issue.

Yep, the elevation is way above where the laser light is pointing. I'm going to take it to the local shop tomorrow and see if they can get it lined out for me.

RP12
01-20-2014, 01:59 PM
In your OP you said your rifle shoots lights out. I would say it's a little high.:p

Nemesis
01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
In your OP you said your rifle shoots lights out. I would say it's a little high.:p

Well it shot bad low with the first scope I had on it that I couldn't get zeroed. I was only shooting at 25 yards then. I'd like to get it fixed so I could see exactly what it will do with the several batches of hand loads I've got worked up for it. It's a heavy booger, but feels like your shooting a BB gun because it's so heavy.

CharlieNC
01-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I bet if you take the barreled action out of the stock it will still not boresight. Instead of using the laser look through the barrel at an object and see if you can adjust the scope to sight-in. Sounds more like your rings or bases are off.

Nemesis
01-20-2014, 02:59 PM
I bet if you take the barreled action out of the stock it will still not boresight. Instead of using the laser look through the barrel at an object and see if you can adjust the scope to sight-in. Sounds more like your rings or bases are off.

I'll mention that to the Smith at my local shop tomorrow. I'm sure he will be able to get it lined out. Or at least I'm hoping he can. I tried the looking through the barrel the other day at the range, but I didn't have a rest with me I could lock the rifle down to keep it stationary. I always forget something when I go to the range, including rounds once...LOL.

Gmountain
01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
You haven't over tightened the rings, have you? That seems to be a common problem if you tighten them too much. 15-20 inch pounds is all you need. Do not tighten them down as far as you can. Use a torque screwdriver.

olddav
01-20-2014, 07:21 PM
How far away from the rifle is the laser striking the target, 25 yds, 50 yds, 75 yds or more?

Nemesis
01-21-2014, 12:54 AM
How far away from the rifle is the laser striking the target, 25 yds, 50 yds, 75 yds or more?

It was from one wall of my room of death as I call it up stairs in the loft because it's where I keep all my different hunting weapons to the other side of the house, which is roughly 45 feet from where the rifle was in sitting. From one wall to the other is 48 feet and the rifle was sitting about 3 feet off the wall. That could have had something to do with it, I don't know.

I had a friend call me today about the rifle anyway because he has been wanting to buy it ever since I got it. I had talked to him about the problem as well a couple weeks ago, and seeing as he is wanting a .223 to varmint hunt with, I sold him the rifle with the understanding of what I was dealing with on it with the bore sighting. I gave him all the tips you guys have given me and he said he would get it lined out. I sold it to him for what I had in the rifle, and I'll be in search of a replacement tomorrow.

I was in the local shop Saturday and saw a Max 1 Accu Stock Savage on the shelf in a Model 10 Predator Hunter. I didn't ask about it, but I'm hoping it's a .243 or a 6.5 Creedmore. They were not open today, so I'm going to call in the morning on it. I had one last year in .243, and like an idiot, I let a guy talk me out of it. Regret that sale all the time.

Hotolds442
01-21-2014, 01:35 AM
Pay your $15 to become a member here and grab that 243 AI model 10 predator in the classifieds and you'll save me from spending $415.

olddav
01-21-2014, 10:09 AM
I hope I get this right, it is a mistake to try to bore site a rifle using short distances. If you are able to get the scope on target at 45ft then you will be shooting way high at 100 yds, (you'll need to convert that to inches yourself). The further away your laser strikes the targets the closer you will be when you start shooting bullets. This alone may not solve the problem you were having but it is something to keep in mind.

sa-shooter
01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Nemesis,
I also use a laser bore sighter and just sighted in a 112 myself. here is how I do it ( I am sighting at only 25-30ft. ) set the scope at lowest focal point look at a object in my case the vertical edge of a window,with both eyes open place retical at object and see where the laser is pointing adjust retical so they meet. your elevation is going to be way off ( high ) I normally adjust so that the laser dot is at the very bottom of the vertical crosshair. even doing this, at 50yds. it shot about 10" high but within 4-shots I had it grouping.
by the way I only sighted at 50 because it is a new to me rifle and I just wanted to see how it shot ( have a new stock,trigger, scope rail and rings on the way) it's a keeper!

emtrescue6
01-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Pay your $15 to become a member here and grab that 243 AI model 10 predator in the classifieds and you'll save me from spending $415.

If that thing were left handed it woulda found a home in my safe immediately....LOL My wife is happy it wasn't!

CharlieNC
01-21-2014, 03:32 PM
I live in a subdivision in a liberal city, so I go into the dark bowels in the back of my garage and clamp my rifle in the old Black and Decker workmate! Then I bore sight at a neighbors mailbox or tail lights around 60 yards away (the red lights give nice contrast). Dial in the scope and good to go on paper at the range at 50 yds. So far this way has not landed a visit from the cops yet either :p.