PDA

View Full Version : Can't get 112 to bore sight

Pages : 1 [2]

Hotolds442
01-21-2014, 04:02 PM
If that thing were left handed it woulda found a home in my safe immediately....LOL My wife is happy it wasn't!
Left handed or not, if it's still up on Friday I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

too late.....snagged it!

Nemesis
01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Left handed or not, if it's still up on Friday I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

too late.....snagged it!

LOL. I know you wouldn't be able to hold out...

Thanks for all the information from everyone. I've passed this onto the friend who bought the rifle from me. As for my mention of the Model 10 at the local shop. It turned out to be a 22-250. But I did end up going into the shop today and left with yet another Model 12 FV in .223. I couldn't pass the deal the shop gave me. They have had the rifle for quite a while, so I got a nice deal on it.

I'm still looking for a .243, and if my mind doesn't change, I'm gonna build one off a Stevens 200 action.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-22-2014, 05:53 AM
The easiest way to bore sight a rifle is set it up on either a bipod or a cradle on a table. Take the bolt out and pick out an object across the room if you're doing this at home. For example I lined up on a refrigerator magnet on our fridge, then adjust the scope to get the crosshairs to line up. Even at short distances you should be able to get them to line up. then when I get to the range I will repeat the process on a target at 25 yards to adjust the elevation, the windage should still be right on. Works every time on rifles that my bore sighter doesn't have an arbor that fits it.

barrel-nut
01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
I have a collimator (sp?) style bore sighting kit and I hate it. Absolute junk. All I ever do for all my rifles now is to set up a large sight-in style target, the kind with the large red diamond in the center, in a frame at 25 yds at the range. Set the rifle in a cleaning-type cradle and clamp it securely. Pull the bolt and look through the barrel and adjust the rifle until the diamond is centered in the bore. Then, without moving the rifle, look through the scope, and adjust the windage and elevation until the crosshairs are on the center of the diamond. Then recheck the bore, because you probably moved the rifle some while adjusting the scope. Readjust if necessary. If its still centered on the diamond, and the crosshairs are on the diamond, replace the bolt and fire one shot at the diamond. If its close, within an inch or two, then back off to 100yds and fire again. Tweak it as necessary, i.e. if its off 3" high at 100, move the elevation down 12 clicks (for 1/4" click scopes). Fire again, and you should be dead on. I've done several rifles safely using three rounds using this method. I've also done a few by skipping the 25 yd step and boresighting directly at the 100 yd target, but that's a little more tricky.

sa-shooter
01-22-2014, 11:11 PM
When I use my laser bore sighter I use it to just get a rough boresight. at the range I aim at a target at 50yds. fire 1-shot see where it impacted then with the crosshair still at my POA I move the crosshair to the POI usally within 4 shots I have the rifle grouping and just need to fine tune.
I learned this when I actually read the owners manuel for my S-II this is how Sightron recommends sighting in a scope

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-22-2014, 11:34 PM
One shot really isn't the way to do it, even if Sightron says so. You could pull the shot. I was taught in the Army to do a 3 shot group at 25 yards, then adjust your sights, fire another 3 shot group and readjust if necessary. Use the same method for iron sights as well as scopes. I've got a .22 I bought some years ago... I've fired exactly 10 rounds through it. I bore sighted it, then fired 3 rounds at 25 yards, adjusted the scope, fired another 2 rounds to fine tune the cross hairs, (because the magazine only held 5 rounds, then fired a 5 round one hole group dead center.

sa-shooter
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
I am not sure if you misunderstand what I am saying and think I am saying I shoot only 1-shot and that is it. I sight-in using a BR rest and rear bag, the first shot is used to put the reticle very near if not right on my POA then I shoot follow-up shots to verifiy and adjust to zero my POA and POI I been doing this for I don't know 2-years ? saves me alot of time and ammo I have 3-match 54 Anschutz BR rigs sighted in this way and they all can put 5-into the same hole at 50yds.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-23-2014, 12:03 AM
It sounds like you're saying you shoot one shot, adjust, shoot another shot, adjust? If so, you're not shooting any less ammo than the way I described and you're probably taking longer to zero in with numerous adjustments. Unless I'm mis-reading what you posted?

Nalgi
01-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Im confused. You couldnt sight it in at 25 yds? what was the problem? Ran out of adjustment?

Westcliffe01
01-23-2014, 12:52 AM
I think the only reference the OP has to bore sighting is with the use of a colimator. Hopefully he will try the "real" bore sighting technique.

If one ever messes up and misses counting a turn on a turret in the field with a scope that has no positive zero stop, then one can use this same technique to get back on the "right turn" for zero without needing any additional equipment. So it is a great technique that can really save your bacon one day.

sa-shooter
01-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Generally the very first adjustment after the first shot gets me zeroed the 2 other shots are to validate the zero that is only 4-shots total.
your method takes 6-shots at minimal and that is at 25 yds. I am shooting at 50 yds. wouldn't you have to shoot 6-more shots to zero at 50 ? bear in mind if the wind is blowing then it is another story I shoot more shots to make sure it wasn't the wind