PDA

View Full Version : Savage Scope Mount Bolt PROBLEM

Pages : [1] 2

Boba Debt
03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
I received my EGW scope mount today and wanted to shoot my Model 10 FCP this weekend BUT as soon as I start one of the bolts it feels really tight.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

Does anyone know what the thread count is supposed to be?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

pdog06
03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Look in the hole and make sure there isnt any old dried locktite in the threads. If so you may have to clean the threads up.

It definately shouldnt be tight. It may not thread in with bare fingers just because they are virgin screws, but dont force it.

Do your old ones screw in OK?

pdog06
03-05-2010, 10:04 PM
wait a minute. Which bolt feels tight when you put it in. Just wanna make sure it isnt the from one and you're bottoming out against the barrel. Some bases have one screw that is shorter than the others so that dont happen.

Boba Debt
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
This is a brand new gun and a brand new scope mount

Boba Debt
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
None of the screws will go in more then one thread before they get tight

Boba Debt
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Shouldn't EGW be smart enough to put the right screws in with the mount?

pdog06
03-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I believe the standard screw holes are 6-48 thread.

pdog06
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM

Sure they are smart enough, but accidents do happen. I've never had an issue with their products.

Do you have another scope base screw you can try to see if it fits better? Maybe a spare or one off another gun?

BillPa
03-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I believe the standard screw holes are 6-40 thread. Sure you didnt get a base with 8-40 screws in it?

I'm pretty sure on the thread size, but find out for sure before you re-tap them or anything.

They're 6-48s.

Bill

pdog06
03-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks Bill. I just came back to edit it and you beat me to it.

Boba Debt
03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I measured my bolts and they were 6-48s so I just forced one in. It was tight all the way but screwed down.

It didn't seem like these were going to stop turning so I just stopped when they were tight.

EFBell
03-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Watch that first one (over the barrel). They are often too long and bottom out before tightening against the base. Thats usuall the one I put in first so I'm sure it draws down tight.

clayton
03-06-2010, 12:59 PM
This sounds very much like the wrong threads on the screws.

Boba Debt
03-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Well they fit my 6-48 thread gage. I had no way to check the rifle though.

axaviere
03-06-2010, 05:30 PM
hope this helps. i went thru several allen head screws before i bought a tap. savage does nothing to protect the threads when they coat the model 10s

if you have a model 10 you may have this stuff in the holes...

here it is before. notice the holes are dark, the threads are loaded with the coating they use on the rifle

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4387744217_0c15bbed65_b.jpg

so i run the tap thru and as you can see, there is quite a bit of schmootz in there. very few if any metal flakes came thru

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4387747743_ce6c540a7a_b.jpg

plenty of stuff still on the tap after taking it out.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4388507550_ab7b12daf6_b.jpg

notice the threads are now bright and shiney, all cleaned up

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4388531512_3df8312e1a_b.jpg

i dont worry so much about a certain torque setting going in. the nice thing about all that gunk in the threads is you never needed loctite. now i may use purple on it

ellobo
03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
[quote=Boba Debt ]
Well they fit my 6-48 thread gage. I had no way to check the rifle though.

[/quote

Go to the hardware store and get a 6-48 tap, they are cheap enough. There are different classes of fit (tolerances) in taps and hardware stores stock the loosest fit. Run the tap into the holes 1/4 turn at a time then back them off and turn in again, repeat that until your tap is through (except on the one over the barrel) to clean them out. Having one around to clean out loctite and crud when installing or changing mounts is handy to have. Blueing salts get in the holes and hardens when they dry off. Usualy has a white powdery look.

El Lobo

bodywerks
03-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Have you tried to just thread the screws in without the base? The reason I ask is because I had the same problem yesterday with my fcp-k and EGW 20moa base. Turned out the holes didn't line up well at all, and it doesn't look like it's the EGW that is off, but rather the holes in the bolt carrier itself!?!?!? When I took the base back off and just screwed the screws into each hole they don't form a straight line, so it seems obvious to me.
Anyway, all I had to do was enlarge the two forward holes in the EGW base to a #21(5/32"). Then you have to get each screw started before attempting to tighten them down - takes a little finessing and sometimes turning the screw counter-clockwise to find the start of the threads can help a bit. Then snug the most aft bolt and most forward bolt, then torque them down then tighten the two inner bolts. Once I did this the base was securely mounted and straight.

axaviere
03-07-2010, 03:27 AM
buy a tap. clean out the holes. problem solved. its the coating from the barrel and action. you wont find a 6/48 in your hardware store either. i got mine off ebay. $6 delivered. dont mess with half assing it. i tried just running the screws in and out over and over. buy some torx head scope base screws. i heard from a few people that EGW was sending them out instead of hex heads now. if not brownells or ken ferrell sells them

Boba Debt
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
So I guess the reciever is harder then the bolts?

I hope so. I'll remove the scope mount, get a tap and clean out the holes. then I'll replace the screws and hope my gun isn;t damaged.

Why did Savage select such a fine thread size?

At the very least a 6-32 would have been just as good and not as likly to get damaged.

axaviere
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
hard to say which is harder, but since you have the barrel mounted you will need a bottoming tap to clean the front two holes. if you think a 6-48 is hard to find, a bottoming 6-48 is going to be fun. go slow, and get a tap handle. but a set and use the handle then return them if you have to. just watch how it goes in. you may get some of the gunk out by running the screws in and out. i did that and it was easier. until the screws had to come out, then i stripped out the heads on a few.

Tap. Torx. Ta-daa!