PDA

View Full Version : Savage Scope Mount Bolt PROBLEM

Pages : 1 [2]

EFBell
03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
fine threads are stronger thats why fine threads exist and are used.

sharpshooter
03-08-2010, 12:08 AM
6-48 scope mount screws are the firearms industry standard. Not many hardware stores will have them, let alone know what they are for. They can be had at Brownells and many tool distibutors. Don't buy a cheap one, you'll get your moneys worth and alot more headaches.
There is no "coating" on the receiver, they are black parkerized. The reason the holes are gimped up is because the receivers are shot peened before finishing to give the matte look. Shot peening is similar to sand blasting, only they use steel shot instead of abrasive media. It has a tendancy to deform threads.

axaviere
03-11-2010, 01:21 AM
well i would still have to say its a coating of some sort. it came out of the threads on my tap. the threads were black before and shiney silver when i got done. but i am only familiar with the model 10FCP. i didnt think parkerizing was as textured as this, but that could be the shot peening. but there was some sort of something on the threads in my rifle

before

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4387744217_0c15bbed65_b.jpg

during

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4387747743_ce6c540a7a_b.jpg

after

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4388531512_3df8312e1a_b.jpg

it came with nothing in the holes to keep them clean. after i ran the tap thru them i could put the new base screws in with my fingers.

EGW1
03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
The screws come out of Connecticut
They are made from 4037
6-48 Rolled thread cold headed bolt 3/32 allen wrench.
We heat treated locally 39 to 41 Rc. Same as a US made socket head cap screw or grade 8 bolt. The last run was 1/4 million screws.

6-48 as stated is the industry standard for Rifle mounts. Std spread is often .862 from center to center. Dates back to Unertal blocks, maybe even before that.

We have run into this even in our own shop. We borrowed a rifle for a photo shot of the mount on a Savage and we could not install the mount without re tapping the holes. As with this gentleman it mostly removed gunk and a smig of metal.

Sorry to hear the guy that had to open up his holes to get the mount on his rifle.

Brownells, Ebay and MSC carry 6-48 taps, probalby Midway also. Of course if your on here good chance one of your buddies is a gunsmith and would have one for sure.

Thank you for your support. We have been fortunate to sell Many Many Savage mounts Most popular is the 20 moa SA for us.

We do offer the older Flat back mounts also if you are in need. The short medium and long action flat back.
have the print on the new Savage EDGE for a mount. It is Unique and no other Savage that we know of matches the bolt pattern.

If you get stuck, feel free to email if you need to check a bolt pattern or if you have a screw strip out and need a replacment.

best regards
geo

www.egwguns.com

axaviere
03-13-2010, 07:14 AM
i had no problem with the mount and went from a 0 moa to 20 moa and both were well finished. when i first got my mount i called and got screws. my first thought was my wrench then screws then i looked closer and the threads had this stuff on it. $7, a week and a positive ebay rating later, i had my tap. glad to hear EGW is making steel. i also like the longer mounts that you offer now. keep it up. oh and i heard there were torx heads in some mounts now. great idea. i like that better than hex, im sure im not the only one

EGW1
03-13-2010, 10:36 PM
The Tactical mounts include hex screws and a wrench with the mount packaging all for 39.99. They are machined from 6061 extruded T6 alunimum and anodized.

The HD mounts are Machined from solid, include torx screws and wrench, are a little lower and hard coat anodized for 69.99.

All our mounts extend past the receiver typically 5/8 of an inch or more.

Thank you
geo

www.egwguns.com

Boba Debt
03-15-2010, 12:49 AM
I ended up taking my rifle back to the shop I bought it from.

They tapped the holes, provided new Torx bolts and mounted it for $10.

Not a bad deal considering the cost if a tap and screws would have exceeded $10.

bodywerks
03-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Glad you got it worked out. I wish I would have taken a picture of mine. the holes were clearly off, and it didn't appear to be the EGW base. Regardless, I got it sorted out...now, if only I can get better than 12 inch groups at 200 yards with this FCP-k ??? ???

axaviere
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
if thats the group size you are getting i would call savage for some warranty work or somewhere i recall reading a guy had to take his action out and found that a screw was too long and was hitting his barre i think? there is a specific way to re-assemble the action and i am sure someone will post that link. but after he ground a screw down and put it all back together, his groups dropped to what they should have been. i read way too much stuff to recall the specifics and i dont have an accustock so i dont commit as much data regarding the accustock to memory. i would not think ammo would cause that big of a group, but i could be wrong. anyway taking the action out is free and a good place to start. maybe it was a sling stud screw?

bodywerks
03-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Turned out it was the ammo, not the gun. Turns out that, while my PMC 223 ammo works great, considering the price, their .308 stuff is useless. Don't know if 147 grain bullets are too light for the barrel twist or what.
Took the gun back to the range and warmed up the barrel with about 15 rounds of PMC for a 3-4" group at 100 yards, then switched to Hornady 168g match ammo. What a difference!!! Shot 5 groups, one 5 round, the rest 3-round. The first 3 round group was almost 1MOA, two more were sub-MOA, and one was close to 1/2MOA! The 5 round group woulda been a 1 MOA had it not been for that one flier, but I was shooting off a bench with a bipod up front and just my left hand for elevation. Gimme a some sandbags and some padding on my cheek rest to absorb some of the displacement from my heartbeat and I could probably shoot sub-moa all day long - Love this gun!

slurpin dog
03-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Nice presentation Axeman

hope this helps. i went thru several allen head screws before i bought a tap. savage does nothing to protect the threads when they coat the model 10s

if you have a model 10 you may have this stuff in the holes...

here it is before. notice the holes are dark, the threads are loaded with the coating they use on the rifle

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4387744217_0c15bbed65_b.jpg

so i run the tap thru and as you can see, there is quite a bit of schmootz in there. very few if any metal flakes came thru

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4387747743_ce6c540a7a_b.jpg

plenty of stuff still on the tap after taking it out.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4388507550_ab7b12daf6_b.jpg

notice the threads are now bright and shiney, all cleaned up

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4388531512_3df8312e1a_b.jpg

i dont worry so much about a certain torque setting going in. the nice thing about all that gunk in the threads is you never needed loctite. now i may use purple on it

axaviere
03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
thanks, anytime i can combine two or more hobbies i jump at the chance. plus if i can save one person the hassle i went thru. how much would the 4 screws cost savage to keep the holes clean?? i let them know how i felt about dropping that much coin on something i had to buy a tap to clean up