PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph recommendation

Pages : [1] 2

KTP
01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Not sure this is the right place for this question, but I am to the point I need a chronograph. I'm just looking for one that is reliable and simple. Easy to set up and operate and yet gives accurate analysis. And just like most of us, I'd like to find one that doesn't cost a small fortune. Any ideas or experiences you could share ?

earl39
01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Depending upon what you mean by a small fortune the MagnetoSpeed is super easy to setup and accurate. I have stopped using my chrony altogether.

Cons would be cost
Plus would be ease of use and you can even use it in the dark as it requires no light to work. No stand to carry to the range to put it on and if setup correctly you can't accidentally shoot it.

missed
01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
I want a magneto speed myself but just can't make myself part with the money. I was looking at the pro chronograph that was a bit over $100 for now..

LHitchcox
01-04-2014, 06:30 PM
I have a Shooting Chrony and a friend has a Pro Chrono. We tested them side by side and the results were well within the margin for error when we took turns shooting through each. I like his Pro Chrono better, but then it wasn't on the market when I bought the Shooting Chrony.

geargrinder
01-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Magnetospeed. I gave all my other chronographs to people I don't like.

KTP
01-04-2014, 08:58 PM
OK it looks like the Magentospeed is a no brainer. Is the S2 better than the S1 or do you just get a few extra gadgets?

missed
01-04-2014, 08:59 PM
The s2 is for guys that run brakes, suppressors... I'm gonna get the s2.

Robbieg19
01-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Magnetospeed!!! It is worth it. I started with a shooting chrony and it will work fine as long as you have the right lighting conditions. If the lighting isn't right it can be very aggravating.:mad2::Plus the Magnetospeed is very hard to shoot accidentally. I have considered shooting the shooting crony on purpose at times.

Savage6x284
01-04-2014, 09:45 PM
The ProChrono Digital is easily the best inexpensive chronograph on the market. No Shooting Chrony can come close to the PCD.
The PCD picks up virtually every shot whereas the SC doesn't even come close to picking up every shot.

Plenty of love for the Magnetospeed here but anything you attach to the end of your barrel is going to change your POI precluding the full range of load development. Doing a velocity workup AND THEN an accuracy workup doesn't appeal to me.

geargrinder
01-04-2014, 10:02 PM
My magnetospeed does change my POI, but has not affected accuracy to any noticable degree.

I work on velocity and accuracy at the same time. Once I get a good repeatable load, I'll shoot it without the magnetospeed for scope adjustment.

BoilerUP
01-04-2014, 10:36 PM
I have a ProChronoDigital, and like it quite a bit. It has proven accurate and repeatable, though I do see some typical environmental-related reading errors.

I am thinking of selling to finance a Magnetospeed, however, due to all the reasons listed above.

missed
01-04-2014, 11:02 PM
The point of impact change is the one downside I have one the magneto speed. Same thing I want to be able to be doing my workups while having the same accuracy and point of impact.

Savage6x284
01-05-2014, 04:13 AM
My magnetospeed does change my POI, but has not affected accuracy to any noticable degree.

I work on velocity and accuracy at the same time. Once I get a good repeatable load, I'll shoot it without the magnetospeed for scope adjustment.

Have you found that an accurate load worked up with the Magnetospeed can become less accurate when you drastically alter the barrel harmonics by removing the device?
I would think that this would be akin to doing your load development with a barrel with pressure point bedding but then free floating the barrel in field use.

Switchbarrel
01-05-2014, 05:50 AM
I'm just looking for one that is reliable and simple. Easy to set up and operate and yet gives accurate analysis. And just like most of us, I'd like to find one that doesn't cost a small fortune.

I use an Oehler 35P with the 4 ft. rail. Set-up only takes a couple minutes. Seems pretty accurate (speeds correlate to JBM ballistic calculations at long distances, ie 600 & 1000 yards) I like having the printer print out velocities, ES & SD. Makes reviewing things at home easier.

-Rick

barrel-nut
01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I can speak for the ProChrono. I've had one for about ten years, with the only problem being that the sky screens eventually cracked in the middle. I just taped them up with freezer tape and it works great still. I have it set up on a cheap camera tripod. Biggest downside being that you have to go forward of the benches at the range to set it up and tweak it. But thats not a problem at our range, cause its almost never crowded. Other than that, once it's set up, it's good to go for hours without any attention. Has a fairly large "sweet spot". Seems to be pretty accurate, as my drop calculations have been very close out to 600 yds. In my opinion, it's a
great product for the money. And having a chronograph is very valuable for safe load development and knowledge of your handload's true potential. You'd be surprised how much your results will vary from the loading manuals' listed velocities. I can definitely say I've spent a hundred bucks on lots of items that have proven to be less useful than this.

n4ue
01-05-2014, 11:14 AM
+1 what Switchbbl said. Oehler. Had mine since the 80s. Also use the 4 foot spacing.
It easily measures .177 air gun pellets at 1500 fps.
The printer uses common ink pads and paper. Mine is so old, it used the metal sunshades. I was speaking with Dr. Ken one day and he asked if I had the 'new' orange ones. When I said no, he sent me a set no charge. Buy once, cry once.

ron

Savage6x284
01-05-2014, 11:26 AM
No question the Oehler 35P is the gold standard.
The only one I can think of which is better is the discontinued Oehler 43 PBL.
Only because it measures pressure as well as velocity.

yobuck
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Magnetospeed. I gave all my other chronographs to people I don't like.

read and then reread before buying a chronagraph.
NONE would be a better choice than chrony.

Patch700
01-07-2014, 10:38 AM
...for me i prefer the Chrony line, i use the Alpha master with the remote display .

Setup is very simple , its accurate , and it fits in my shooting box.. Me personally I wouldn't hang anything off the end of the barrel like some other chronograghs mentioned...

87predator
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
magneto speef hands down.