PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph recommendation

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
01-07-2014, 12:40 PM
there was a discussion on the l r h site awhile back on this subject.
there is one guy there who owns an ohler 35 and bought a magneto
speed to compare. he later posted a long list of comparisons. both performed
at the same level. he found no issues other than the thing coming loose which
has been adressed from what i hear. ive owned several chronys over a span of
about 20 years. at best the information should be considered ballpark.
mine will give a wide range of information on the same loads on different days.
so will everybody elses i know who have them. i mostly use mine for velocity information
in order to prepare drop charts. i would be as well off getting information from a loading
manual or even guessing a number for a starting point. with this thing im tweeking numbers
in order to match actual shooting results. some of that would be normal anyway but this isnt even close.
buy a good one or buy none would be my advise.

missed
01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
I am on the fence on it.

Can the magneto speed upload data to computer?

How much is the poi change?

I was thinking about a chrony beta with the excel loader and led light. So I don't have the poi change so I can shoot my entire string and get my accuracy and velocities.

Savage6x284
01-07-2014, 10:13 PM
I am on the fence on it.

I was thinking about a chrony beta with the excel loader and led light. So I don't have the poi change so I can shoot my entire string and get my accuracy and velocities.

The ProChrono Digital with the USB connectivity kit is so monumentally better than any Shooting Chrony I've ever owned or tried ( A LOT of them) that the fact that they are similarly priced is astonishing.
Not bashing SC nor the people who own them merely relating my experiences.

earl39
01-07-2014, 10:31 PM
I am on the fence on it.

Can the magneto speed upload data to computer? yes it uses a micro sd card

How much is the poi change? i just use mine to get speed to work drop table after finding a load but i haven't noticed a difference in accuracy.

should be noted i work up loads at 300 and do the speed test at 100 in the back yard.

geargrinder
01-07-2014, 10:32 PM
I am on the fence on it.

Magnetospeed comes with a micro-usb card and adapter.

When I shoot with the Magnetospeed, I'm usually working up a load so I'm shooting for velocity and group size. Doesn't matter much to me where the POI goes.

Savage6x284
01-07-2014, 10:32 PM
there was a discussion on the l r h site awhile back on this subject.
there is one guy there who owns an ohler 35 and bought a magneto
speed to compare. he later posted a long list of comparisons. both performed
at the same level. he found no issues other than the thing coming loose which
has been adressed from what i hear. ive owned several chronys over a span of
about 20 years. at best the information should be considered ballpark.
mine will give a wide range of information on the same loads on different days.
so will everybody elses i know who have them. i mostly use mine for velocity information
in order to prepare drop charts. i would be as well off getting information from a loading
manual or even guessing a number for a starting point. with this thing im tweeking numbers
in order to match actual shooting results. some of that would be normal anyway but this isnt even close.
buy a good one or buy none would be my advise.

I did a similar test several years ago but with an Oehler 35, a SC Beta, and a PCD. Lined them up in a row so that one bullet tripped all three units. I varied the order with each unit in each of the three positions and generally spent an entire day testing these out.
What I found was that all three units were remarkably consistent as to the readings they gave. Even the SC readings jived with the other two in those rare (rare is an overstatement, actually it recorded the speed of roughly half the shots fired that day.) instances where the SC recorded any reading at all.
Neither the Oehler nor the PCD missed a single shot all day.
The unit closest to the muzzle always recorded the highest speed and the one furthest from the muzzle always recorded the slowest speed. This test gave me great confidence in the accuracy of most chronographs (it's easy to make an accurate crystal clock circuit) and pointed out to me the importance of designing and using quality sensors.
The 35 and the PCD have quality sensors.
I don't consider it to be a handicap to use the PCD.

mikein
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I've owned a ProChrono for several years, and it has served me quite well. I send it back for calibration every 2 years. I've tested it, side by side, with other chronographs, and have never found a statistically significant difference in its measurements compared to theirs. Having said all that, there are issues with all chronographs that are not attached to the firearm being tested. The issues that I dislike the most are the time it takes to set them up correctly and consistently, the danger (to the chrony!) of getting shot when testing MV at different ranges, and the "lighting" issue. For those reasons, I've just recently ordered one of the MagnetoSpeeds. From everything I have read, it addresses these issues and is the most user-friendly chronograph on the market.