PDA

View Full Version : Accidental misfire. Extremely lucky.

Pages : [1] 2

thewarden0
12-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Ok, so. Last night I took apart my 110 to work on the mag box, spring and follower. Having a feed issue. While I had it apart I decided to break down the trigger group and clean it. The only issue I had was getting the sear spring and bushing back in. After about 45 mins and several looks at a schematic I was able to reinstall and get it back together. Everything looked perfect.

Well I loaded the mag and cycled it and repeated several times. Feed was working. I gave it one more try. Loaded the mag. Cycled once and boom. 7mm round goes off. Safety was in bolt unlock position.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

Upon breaking down this morning, trigger group is intact and exactly how I left it but it is loose to the touch. I didn't notice it before so I'm not sure if it correct.

RP12
12-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Make sure the tab at the back of the trigger housing is hooked in the action. I'm just guessing.

jonbearman
12-23-2013, 12:06 PM
There is a tutorial on the homepage on how to adjust your trigger.

thewarden0
12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
The tab parallel to the safety was/is correctly placed.

Would it still fire with the safety only being in the 2nd position?

And when I say loose to the touch I'm talking about the whole group not trigger pull.

fgw_in_fla
12-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Did you bump the safety off while chambering it?
It's happened before.

pdog06
12-23-2013, 12:46 PM
where were you working on it at that you could safely use live ammo to test its function? Hopefully at the range or atleast with the gun pointing in a safe direction. Extremely lucky indeed.

I have had a gun go off before when I was closing the bolt at the range, with the gun in the bags though, and it really does scare the heck out of you!

pdog06
12-23-2013, 12:47 PM
after you re-installed the trigger after cleaning it did you re-check all of the adjustment settings?

thomae
12-23-2013, 09:20 PM
thewarden0 (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?29413-thewarden0): Thank you very much for admitting that you made a mistake and asking for help.

I know the situation was very likely somewhat scary and embarrassing, but by bringing it up in a public forum, you will hopefully find an answer to "Why?" and more importantly, you may keep someone else who is reading this thread from making the same mistake with much more disastrous results.

I admire someone who is not afraid to stand up and say "I need some help please."

Thank you also to the other posters for neither ridiculing nor belittling the OP. None of us arrived at our present level of knowledge without a great deal of help.

Merry Christmas from an admittedly curmudgeonly moderator.

Smokey262
12-23-2013, 09:40 PM
What kind of trigger is in it?

KTP
12-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Do you have an older 3 screw trigger in your 110? I was witness to a situation one time (again in bags with the gun pointed downrange and all safety practices in place). A .223 that cycled fine dry, no issues. We shot the gun 4-5 times and on the 6th the gun slam fired as the bolt was brought down. When we examined the gun, the screw that engages or lightens the sear had moved and made the gun unsafe. After adjustments and a little locktite the gun has been fine every since. Maybe yours is slightly out of adjustment??

Hotolds442
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Do you have an older 3 screw trigger in your 110? I was witness to a situation one time (again in bags with the gun pointed downrange and all safety practices in place). A .223 that cycled fine dry, no issues. We shot the gun 4-5 times and on the 6th the gun slam fired as the bolt was brought down. When we examined the gun, the screw that engages or lightens the sear had moved and made the gun unsafe. After adjustments and a little locktite the gun has been fine every since. Maybe yours in slightly out of adjustment??
And that reminds me.............
I need to get the fingernail polish out and finish my trigger.

eddiesindian
12-24-2013, 01:30 AM
wow...I presume this model doesnt come with the accutrigger?

stangfish
12-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Thanks for bringing this forward. Anytime a trigger has been removed, adjusted or worked on, it should be tested and inspected prior to inserting rounds. Thank god no one was killed or injured.

Unloaded check for trigger and sear contact. There should be enough preload to keep the trigger pressed against the sear where gravity or bumping will not lift it off of the trigger shelf. Check for safety function. Safety should slide into all three positions when cocked. Trigger should not be able to be fired in any of the two safety positions and only fire when the safety is in the fire position. This includes bump testing.

This is a perfect example of the responsibility more experienced posters have, and why we should discourage fledgling DIY'ers from working on triggers without some clear cut parameters with precautions and testing explained like the above paragraph inserted into any discussion with regards to triggers and there modifications and adjustments.

thewarden0
12-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys for all your encouragement and support. I learned some VERY valuable lessons with this.

I took the gun straight to a reputable gun Smith in town and we went over the situation and upon further inspection of the trigger it was determined I had failed to place the tab parallel to safety in the correct position.

There was much play in the trigger group and when the round was cycled jarred the trigger enough to fire.

Again, thanks for all you guys help. I hope someone else can learn from my mistake.

RP12
12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys for all your encouragement and support. I learned some VERY valuable lessons with this.

I took the gun straight to a reputable gun Smith in town and we went over the situation and upon further inspection of the trigger it was determined I had failed to place the tab parallel to safety in the correct position.

There was much play in the trigger group and when the round was cycled jarred the trigger enough to fire.

Again, thanks for all you guys help. I hope someone else can learn from my mistake.I was right.:peace:

82boy
12-24-2013, 11:18 AM
What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

First off, NEVER work on a gun with live ammo even in the remote area! You are dang lucky, (You need to say a prayer.) the trigger could have been the least of your worries. Never check function of a gun with loaded ammo! Last never take a gun out to shoot that is not functioning 100% I don't mean to kick you, so please don't take it that way.

This should be a lesson to all that read this forums, if your don't know 100% what your doing to your firearm, (And how it works and functions.) don't work on it, take it to a gunsmith. ESPECIALY trigger issues! This person got extremely lucky he could have killed or seriously hurt himself, or many unsuspecting people. Don't believe me, do a search on Remington 700 trigger, and see all the law suites Remington, Sinclair, and other have received over other messing with the trigger, accidently hurting or killing someone. It has cost them million in defending themselves.

The problem is with all in information on the internet, people get up too much courage, and want to do thing they are not qualified to do. Then to add to this people ask on forum sites for help, and the people offering help may not be qualified to answer, or may be guessing (Bad thing to do.) as they do not physically have the piece in front of them. (Not to cut down on the site, but how many qualified gunsmiths are on them?) Please understand your limitations, and don't be afraid to go to someone for help.

Please Please Please be safe around or working on firearms, what you may do could have an affect on the entire firearms community. This is some of the ammo, anti-gunners use to shut down gun makers, and those associated with the firearms industry.

eddiesindian
12-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Thats great news.
When in dought?.....take it to a cert. smith....
Ive made my mental errors on something as simple as a 22 pistol.....doesnt take much to ruin day. I too was lucky. I learned from it and thank my gun gardian angel all the time

Stockrex
12-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Failure: It will happen when you least expect it, expect a gun to go off when chambering a round, point in safe direction and ONLY handle live rounds in a safe environment.
Discharging live ammo in a township/city is ticket not to mention a misd/felony. So please please for the love of the sport pls load some dummy rounds.

stangfish
12-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I was right.:peace:

You knew this because.......?

RP12
12-24-2013, 02:21 PM
You knew this because.......?Because that's what I suggested was wrong, from his description. No I have never done it myself personally.