PDA

View Full Version : Weak ejection

Pages : [1] 2

efm77
12-01-2013, 08:23 PM
All of my Savages have weak ejection and have been that way since day one. All were purchased new. The cases clear the action when the bolt is pulled back but just barely. Sometimes a live round won't completely clear. Can either a longer or stronger ejector spring be had somewhere to make it eject with more force? I know I can get the factory springs from Midway but wasn't sure if they would make any difference since they're probably the same as what's already in there. Thanks for any input.

BoilerUP
12-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Gunshack is now selling the SSS Enhanced Ejection kit.

They do work VERY well!

JW
12-01-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't no if you already have the .140 detent ball installed but it might help
Jack

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?140-Extractor-Detent-Ball-Upgrade

efm77
12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check that out.

Dennis
12-01-2013, 09:38 PM
The SSS Enhanced Ejection kit does work very well. I have installed several and I think Savage should use the parts in their manufacturing process.

Dennis

chukarmandoo
12-01-2013, 10:19 PM
I've had that for a couple a years now. Also the saltpeter they gave us in boot camp, well after all these years it's starting to work! Maybe I'll get one of those kits?

BillPa
12-01-2013, 10:23 PM
All of my Savages have weak ejection and have been that way since day one. All were purchased new. The cases clear the action when the bolt is pulled back but just barely. Sometimes a live round won't completely clear. Can either a longer or stronger ejector spring be had somewhere to make it eject with more force?

Savage has a new style ejector. The one on the left.
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zppm40.jpg

The follower(tail) does two things. One, helps keep the spring straight and two, prevents over compressing it like the one on the right.The P/N is the same as before.. You can order them directly from Savage. They're not restricted parts. Prices wise, my last order for three each ejectors, springs and extractors was about 30 bucks including shipping and were at my door in three days.

Bill

Dennis
12-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Bill, does the new style ejector fit all bolts?

BillPa
12-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Bill, does the new style ejector fit all bolts?

Yes. About the only thing I had to do was polish the follower a bit so the spring can move over it freely. A few twists with #320 usually does it.

Bill

Dennis
12-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Yes. About the only thing I had to do was polish the follower a bit so the spring can move over it freely. A few twists with #320 usually does it.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have the part number for these. I have the SSS kits and really like the way they improved the brass ejection.

I don't know if you have experience with the SSS kits, but I was going to get your opinion between the two setups.

Dennis

efm77
12-02-2013, 06:34 AM
A few of mine are pretty new and may already have that new style in them but I haven't taken them apart yet to see. I'll check on it. Thanks for all the info guys.

BillPa
12-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Bill, thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have the part number for these.
Dennis

100129, its the same P/N as the old style. I also suggest ordering and installing new springs(100131).

From what Joe D. told me while he was there the new style is a running production change. As a matter of fact after talking to him I ordered three sets and in the meantime he sent three sets( ejectors, springs, retaining pins) free :p.

Bill

Dennis
12-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Bill,

Dennis

memilanuk
01-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Question... the only SSS improved ejection kit I see @ Gun Shack is listed for .300 Blackout. Are the kits actually caliber/cartridge specific, or not?

Just curious, because I can't seem to get through to SSS again... if someplace else has them in stock and answers the phone, I'm there!

Monte

bobcat30
01-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I am interested in same info

BoilerUP
01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
I think its marketed as a 300BLK kit because that cartridge has widely known issues in a Savage chamber, and folks shooting that specific round might be interested in something to fix what ails them.

I ordered mine via email with Lisa, and while even that was a PITA that parts eventually showed up.

I bought 3 and have only stalled one so far, in my long action 223AI and it improved things IMMENSELY.

01-06-2014, 11:30 PM
FWIW, the "Handloading for Competition" book I just picked up talks about how benchresters often remove the ejectors from bolts because they tend to distort cases upon firing...if you're a benchrester that might be a concern, especially if you plan to beef up the spring...

It's an interesting idea that never occurred to me...

sgt_jamez
01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Looking at the Gunshack text for the kit, it says "improved extractor". I have three of the kits from SSS, and non contained an extractor. Just the ejector, ejector spring, and detent ball. Is this just bad text on the Gunshack site?

My 20VT still has very very weak ejection even after applying the kit. My brass is formed from Lake City 223. Is there something else I can do to liven up the ejection?

memilanuk
01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Looking at the Gunshack text for the kit, it says "improved extractor". I have three of the kits from SSS, and non contained an extractor. Just the ejector, ejector spring, and detent ball. Is this just bad text on the Gunshack site?

I think so. Thats all the picture on the Gunshack site shows as well.

FWIW... I called Gunshack day before yesterday, and they said they would get ahold of SSS and find out. Got a message back yesterday that they had called and confirmed that the kits are *not* caliber/cartridge specific. I'm hoping to get a call from SSS today (fingers crossed) and I'll probably order a couple from them as well, just to have on hand.

I've got plans percolating for a short 16.5" suppressed .300 Black Out bolt-gun carbine running 208 Amax suppressed... should be entertaining at the least ;)

memilanuk
01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Just got off the phone with Lisa from SSS... thought this might be of interest to y'all:

Apparently SSS has an Improved Ejection kit, which has the ejector, ejector spring and larger detent ball - this is about $8 and non-cartridge specific.

Then there is a SSS Improved Extraction and Ejection kit, which includes the above, but also a modified extractor - specifically for 300 Blackout - that runs about $20.

It sounds like the Improved Ejection kit is supposed to work on most larger cases such as .308 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. but for various reasons is about 50/50 on the Blackout - hence the second kit with the modified extractor.

From what I gathered, the kits @ Gunshack are the Improved Ejection kit, not the Improved Ejection/Extraction (300BO) kit, despite what they have labeled on their product page.

At this point I've got a few of the Improved Ejection kits on order from Gunshack, which should find homes in my 10PC-SR .308 Win (works great usually but occasionally drops a case) and my 12LRP 6.5CM (ejects cases from one batch near 100%, but won't eject cases from a new batch at *ALL*). I've got a project gun that I want to setup with a .223 Rem barrel, a 300BO barrel, and a 6.5CM barrel. The .473 bolt head will get the remaining Improved Ejection kit and the .378 bolt head will get one of the Improved Ejector/Extractor kits, with the other one going in my 12 F/TR .223 Rem.

HTH,

Monte