PDA

View Full Version : When to replace a barrel

Pages : [1] 2 3

nazbom
11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
I've had a Savage Model 12 in .223 since 2004, I've shot it pretty regularly and prbably have in the neighborood of 1800 rounds through the barrel. I recently was able to find a supply of .223 69 gr SMK's that I try to shoot exclusively (until recently they've been a bear to find) and reloaded some and re-started some accuracy shots to fine tune some loads. More for my personal experience, the rifle has always been a shooter. Back in the day (severla years ago) I would regulary shoot 3 shot groups either all holes touching and some even same holing it. The rifle is a dream and I've always loved it. THe past few weeks though I re-zero'd it (put new Leupold Mk 4 rings on it) and have been shooting my normal 100m range and the best group I've been able to get is .71". Normally that would be great but I know what the rifle is capable of. I shot at least ten more three shot groups to make sure it wasn;t the shooter (and it still could be for sure) but upon closer inspection of the barrel I did notice some minor pitting in the rifling that I could see with the naked eye and a really bright light in the bore. The barrel is a stock varmit contour 1-9 Rifling, recessed crown, I cannot see any damge to the crown just some bling worn off from the firing and cleaning.

I am thinking of replacing the barrel with a McGowen, Savage varmit contour SS barrel in 1-9 twist. I'll of course keep shooting mine to see if the groups tighten up as I am controlling the reloading pretty tightly. This is my favorite rifle and has always shot great, I'd hate to imaging it not shooting like it used to. The current set up for information purposes is; Savage 12 in .223 Rem. varmit contour barrel 1-9 twist, McMillen A-5 stock, Leupold Mk 4 rings, SWFA SS 16X scope

Apologize for the length just wanted to get as much info out there as possible.

Thanks,

Hotolds442
11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Pitting is never good in a barrel. Maybe it could be set back and rechambered. Barring that, you really can't go wrong with a McGowan.

nazbom
11-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah when I saw the pitting my heart sank, it is in the 1/3 of the barrel closest to the muzzle, not a lot but enough that I noticed it. I've always taken care to clean and lube the rifle, I just think some of the humid summers we have may have allowed some moisture to form in the barrel, it's the only conclusion I can think of. Form what I've read the McGowan barrels are first rate and I like that they have the "ready to ship" barrels on their store front website. Since what I want to install is nothing exceptional and they say they have it ready to ship in 1 week I am leaning to going that route.

sortafast
11-25-2013, 06:42 PM
What bullet where you shooting before this? I do believe that 69gr bullets are at the heavy end of the spectrum for what a 1 in 9" barrel can stabilize. Also, did you switch any other components in your mix? Now, how heavily did you clean the barrel? Do you think a couple fowling shots would help "fill in" the pitting? But my guess is that the pitting is not helping you.

If you do decide to rebarrel it, look into getting a 1 in 8" or 1 in 7" twist so you can shoot the heavies if long range is what you're after. If its varmints and you want to shoot the 50gr bullets or so, go with the 1 in 9". Also, check with Jim at NSS. He usually has varmint contour barrels in stock from Shilen or Criterion. He's a great guy to deal with.

nazbom
11-25-2013, 07:19 PM
I have mainly shot the 69 gr SMK's in this rifle. I started with 55 gr Hornady A-Max's but wanted into the longer ranges and started shooting the 69 grainers about 2005. I kept pretty meticulous notes on the load development. This rifle has always stabilized the 69 Gr SMK's excellently. I even just did the rifle twist calculator on McGowen's website and using the dimensions of the 69 Gr SMK got a recommended twist rate of 1-10.1" i had a little trouble believing that but the 1-9" has always worked well. If I could find some pics I snapped of the better shot groups some were only 1 1/2 diameter of bullet wide at 100m. At 100m I if the groups were more than 1/2" I was surprised. The rifle shot great and the load I developed worked for me. When I could no longer find the Sierra's I had to use the Hornady 68 gr match bullets and they were a hair longer, their ogive is different than Sierra, but I had them shooting the same as the Sierras pretty quick. I am using the same components as before, I have a near endless supply of 5.56 brass and can be picky so I weigh it and sort if by weight. I neck size for the rifle, use IMR 3031 exclusively, Remington SR primers, no change in components. The ONLY change is I measured the throat and found a very long throat. So I experimented with bullet seating depth. When I moved the bullet out (can't remember at this moment the measurement) the farthest I ever had I had respectable groups for 100M with the group size explainable by my error. I only loaded 20 of these and shot all of them with decent groups once I settled my breathing and trigger pull down. What I did next was load several with the bullets seated few thousandths deeper, several more yet deeper just to see the effect off of the lands (I posted a question here and got some solid answers) and that is when I noticed the groups not getting tighter. Now I'm still farther out in seating depth than I loaded them 2 years ago but the accuracy seems to be suffering. Hence the bore inspection and noticing the minor pitting which I know can't be good for accuracy.

I had a M4 (14.5: bbl) in 1-7 (same as military twist on M16/M4) and thought I'd go 1-7 on the replacement for the Savage but that rate leaves little versatility. The SMK's are not suitable for hunting so I stall wanted the option of a hunting/varmint bullet. The 1-9" seems to be doing fine and I agree that I should go no higher in weight that 69 gr and do not plan to, I love my load, I may tweak it but I spent a lot of time and resources developing the load for this rifle. I am a couple months off (read Holidays) from making this leap and will certainly research this the best rate and everything before I make the purchase.

While I'm rambling what is everyone's opinion on Chrome-Moly vs Stainless? I am leaning toward stainless as not to have to worry about issues like this again and durability. I do take care of my weapons that is why I am bothered by this.

Again apologies for length just trying to give as much info as possible.

bootsmcguire
11-26-2013, 01:01 AM
On the SS vs. CM front, it seems to be a majority opinion in many circles that there is no accuracy or barrel life difference, just a price and corrosion resistance difference.

Dennis
11-26-2013, 01:05 AM
The 9 twist stainless barrel is probably the best choice per your comments above.

and have been shooting my normal 100m range and the best group I've been able to get is .71

Your above quote is the reason I responded to your thread. The same thing happened to me and I couldn't explain it. My groups opened up to about .750 moa @ 100. It seemed like all of a sudden. I thought it was me or something to do with the scope. My rifle was as accurate as yours. I use my 223 for practice, so it had a lot of rounds down the tube.

Then one day a bell rang in my "brain". I realize how many rounds I had down this barrel. I decided to change the barrel and with my first few groups, I had my ole rifle back. I was one happy person as this is one of the oldest rifles I have.

Just my .02, Dennis

Their going to go, it's just a matter of when.

nazbom
11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply, I was scratching my head. I know there is plenty of shooter error so I shot enough to get my groove down and had the feel I needed to know I could send roiunds to the same point of impact. The rifle has always been a dream. I'm going to rebarrel it's just a matter of when now.

jonbearman
11-26-2013, 03:06 PM
How long do you take between shots.My concern would be that you could overheat the barrel which would cause the barrel to quit way earlier than necessary.

nazbom
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I normall take three shot groups fired in succession followed by a roughly 2 min wait (in this cooler weather) before shooting another three shot group. I normally fire 20 to 25 rounds in that manner before either taking a long break or calling it for the session. I am blessed with the fact that I have a 100 meter range on my property so I can develop loads and fire right there.

nazbom
11-26-2013, 07:14 PM
What are some good suppliers for Savage parts? From perusing the web and this site I have checked out SSS, McGowen, Evolution, and a couple others I can't remember right now. I want to purchase a new bolt handle (in the tactical style) and just read about fluted bolts, I've seen them on bolt guns before but they just seem so cool, not sure if they actually serve any purpose though.

earl39
11-26-2013, 07:25 PM
1800 rounds in a 223 is not many at all. If i read your first post right you changed rings and scope and then your groups opened up. It could be a parallax problem, that would sure account for the group opening up. It could be the lot of bullets you just got or maybe you started on a different lot of powder. Seating depth changed (bullet lot again), throat moved a few thousandths (seating depth again). 223 barrel should be good for anywhere from 4000 rounds to excess of 10,000 but i would look for 4-6000 as the change barrel place.

Dennis
11-27-2013, 02:30 AM
1800 rounds in a 223 is not many at all. If i read your first post right you changed rings and scope and then your groups opened up. It could be a parallax problem, that would sure account for the group opening up. It could be the lot of bullets you just got or maybe you started on a different lot of powder. Seating depth changed (bullet lot again), throat moved a few thousandths (seating depth again). 223 barrel should be good for anywhere from 4000 rounds to excess of 10,000 but i would look for 4-6000 as the change barrel place.

Earl, I agree with your above statement.

Also per the OP, the barrel is 10 years old and there may be other contributing factors as well as stated below.

Yeah when I saw the pitting my heart sank, it is in the 1/3 of the barrel closest to the muzzle, not a lot but enough that I noticed it. I've always taken care to clean and lube the rifle, I just think some of the humid summers we have may have allowed some moisture to form in the barrel, it's the only conclusion I can think of

nazbom
11-27-2013, 06:36 AM
I too agree that 1800 rounds isn't a lot. I've shot more through my service rifle on deployment. The scope is the same only the rings were changed. There have been long periods where the rifle was stored my major concern I was rust causing the pitting.

Dennis
11-27-2013, 02:41 PM
There have been long periods where the rifle was stored my major concern I was rust causing the pitting.

And correct me if wrong, you barrel is a chrome moly barrel?

I also am interested in everyone's comments concerning pitting or any other damage from storing chrome moly barrels for a long period.

Dennis

nazbom
11-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes, stock savage barrel. When I stored it I kept it oiled with a light coat of oil, pulled it out every once an a while to check on it.

earl39
11-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I would suggest when storing a CM barrel for long periods to clean it to bare metal and then apply a layer of really good grease inside the barrel as oil will tend to run off faster than grease will slide off. As pointed out pitting could cause the groups to open up but you may have to foul the bore a little more as a lot of factory barrels like to be dirty. Changing the barrel out with 3/4 moa groups will give you a new barrel but will not ensure anything better. Unless you are wanting to shoot nats off ant peckers i would stay with what you have. $300 is a lot for the little gain unless you are shooting competition. JMHO

Westcliffe01
11-28-2013, 12:17 AM
If you decide to get a new barrel, consider a 1:8 twist. Not a "radical" twist like a 1:7 but good for shooting even Berger 75gr VLD's which are a huge improvement over the lighter bullets. It will also shoot the 55gr "common" bullets fine. I have shot Hornady 75gr HPBT (match) bullets from my Savage 10PC since I got it and it has stabilized the 75gr match bullets fine even though it has a 1:9.25 twist and only 20" in length. But it will NOT shoot the Bergers... Needs more twist...

If my factory barrel had not been so good, I would have re-barreled to a 1:8 stainless barrel a long time ago...

nazbom
11-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!! I stayed away from anything heavier that 69 grain due to warnings about stabilization (or failure of) of heavier bullets in the twist I have. I will research hard on the twist. I realize that shooting 3/4 MOA isn't bad and I know I have to do my part and do contribute to poor accuracy a lot more than the rifle and barrel. However, knowing the fact that the rifle is capable and has shot better just sticks with me. Now I 'm not running right out to change one as it is a cost and I have many other pressing issues, that's why I figured I'd get some answers from this knowledge base.

nazbom
11-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I just like punching paper with this rifle and strive to get the best groups as I possibly can, sort of like my own personal golf game! I shoot at small animals with it but mainly target shooting. I have access to a 600m range and plan on hitting that when I can. My biggest goal is just to have it shooting as best as it can shoot. Knowing there's a flaw just bugs me is all (and even more that I probably contributed to it by not checking it more often).