PDA

View Full Version : When to replace a barrel

Pages : 1 2 [3]

nazbom
11-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm working on the bore paste today. Didn't see that reply till later on after I did what I did yesterday. Will report back....

Not trying to upset anyone here and I appreciate all the advice I've been given. As a matter of fact I looked at ttackling he bore paste late last night.

nazbom
11-30-2013, 12:40 PM
I know this has been a long topic and I wanted to say that I appreciate the input and advice. I'm looking at this a completely different way now.

I'm looking up the bore paste options and IOSSO and JB pop up. The thing is I'm probably going to have to order this. I may run to Richmond later as there are some good shops there that should carry this. Either way, realizing the amount of time I've owned this and shot it, I should've done this sooner.

82boy
11-30-2013, 01:01 PM
The products I am talking about are JB bore paste, ISSO Bore cleaner or Remington 40X cleaner. This will remove the hard carbon and will not hurt the barrel. I clean my barrels after every 7 to 10 shots with top end bore solvent and bronze brushes, and usually after 100 rounds I will feel the patch's get "Grabby" and tight in the bore, this is hard carbon I am feeling, A quick cleaning with JB, and the patch's push smooth again. In heavy neglected barrels I will use JB on a old brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool.

Even with these cleaners you need to get JB Bore paste, available through Brownells, and other sellers. If you want something local Wal-Mart has Remington 40x cleaner, and it is a liquid form of JB bore paste.

When you work with JB or 40X, you want a tight fitting patch, and you want to burnish it through the bore. (Burnish = short strokes back and forth, going the entire length of the barrel.)

Here is a article a good friend of mine wrote, (Thomas "Speedy" Gonzales) and how he recommends use of Bore cleaners.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12950/guntechdetail/Benchrest_Shooting

82boy
11-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Remington 40x cleaner was developed by Benchrest shooting legend Ferris Pindell. (Father of the PPC cartridge.)
Here is a bit of fact
https://us-products.com/borepaste/

Dennis
12-01-2013, 06:16 AM
and lately have been using a bore snake.

I quit using my bore snakes a long time ago and only use them on hunting guns in emergency situations.

You have received a lot of good advice. Good Luck.

Dennis

nazbom
12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Ok this will be my last post besides some pics if I can figure them out. Let me reiterate again the incredible wisdom I received. I cleaned with bore paste last night and shot today. It's back!! Tight groups with at least 2 of three touching at 100m! Thank you.

Now that I have the correct cleaning supplies. How often do you use the bore paste regimen?

82boy
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Now that I have the correct cleaning supplies. How often do you use the bore paste regimen?

I clean my barrels after every 7 to 10 shots with top end bore solvent and bronze brushes, and usually after 100 rounds I will feel the patch's get "Grabby" and tight in the bore, this is hard carbon I am feeling, A quick cleaning with JB, and the patch's push smooth again.

P.S.
Something else to consider is to maintain the throat of your rifle you may want to use a 1/2 caliber bigger bronze brush, and just insert it into the throat and twist it.

It is in the cards