PDA

View Full Version : 12 LRP not firing

Pages : [1] 2

pahoghunter
11-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I've been working on loads for my .243 and at least 6 times in the last couple of weeks I've had misfires. The firing pin drops puts a small dent in the primer, I lift the bolt and the next time it fires. It happened with both Rem. and CCI primers. Ironically the other morning at the range I notice the guy next to me was shooting a Savage as I was trying to figure out which model he had he pulled the trigger it went click, he recycled the bolt and then it fired. Any suggestions?

darkker
11-09-2013, 11:26 AM
ASSuming you don't have any primer issues (lube contamination, seating issues), have you checked your firing pun protrusion?
If it is correct, and you aren't striking off center, you need q new spring. Again, assuming not a primer issue.

stangfish
11-09-2013, 12:54 PM
How much are you bumping your shoulder back on your cases? Have you lubed the internals of your bolt? Do you have any pits in the face of your bolt?

BillPa
11-09-2013, 01:23 PM
. Any suggestions?

Before anything else I'd pull the bolt apart and give a good thorough cleaning including the inside of the bolt head, why pipe cleaners were invented. I'd also at the very least dump a half a bottle of lighter fluid in the trigger and on the sear where it meets the action and trigger housing.

I don't know where your located here in Pa, but the temp here was in the low 30s last night. At those temperatures or even in the low fifties the accumulation of oil mixed with crud will cause it to thicken like road tar and pad the pin fall.

Oh, and it not manufacturer specific, I've fixed more than a few other "Off Brands" with kerosene!

Bill

pahoghunter
11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm neck sizing, the gun is new, I've tried 2 different types of primers, I think I will take the bolt apart?

stangfish
11-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Let us know pahog

Pump
11-09-2013, 07:36 PM
I would try factory before I would change the bolt spring or firing pin. If it goes bang with 20 factory the problem is in the reloading process, if not the spring or pin is faulty. New gun, clean the crap out of it.

2sonmike
11-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Put a piece of tape over whichever pad you use on your trigger finger. It's the accutrigger feature not working.
i have a friend with a 338 110 ba....it cured his problem....and it sure as heck won't hurt anything trying it!

stangfish
11-11-2013, 07:52 AM
I forget that people not aware of how the accutrigger works can fail to override the trigger safety and not understand why it does not fire. For the older members...It is flawed!

pisgah
11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
What you describe is the classic symptom of primers not being fully seated. Could be numerous other things as mentioned, but primer seating would be the first thing I would look at.

earl39
11-11-2013, 02:59 PM
OK guys this is NOT and i will repete NOT an accutrigger problem. Notice in the first post pa said it left a little dimple in the primer? Because of two brands of primer being used i think we can rule out primers being bad and that leaves primer seating, headspace (how much was the shoulder bumped back), then bolt problems.

Pahoghunter as stated above check your primer seating. I believe you will find your problem there. Then as Bill said flush your bolt out really well. And the bolt flush won't hurt anything so would be a good ideal to do it anyway. Remember NO WD-40 on any internals.

pahoghunter
11-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I don't understand the part about the primers being "fully seated" I would understand being seated to deeply? They do nor protrude below the base if that's what you mean?

earl39
11-12-2013, 12:31 AM
If the primers are not seated fully a large part of the energy from the firing pin strike is wasted by seating the primer. With a fully seated primer the full energy is used to crush the priming compound against the anvil causing it to detonate. Seated fully means as deep as possible without crushing or deforming them.

Dennis
11-12-2013, 01:06 AM
I had a similar problem once. I replaced the sear and all was fine there after. (Did this after trying several other parts). Don't ask me what happened. I own maybe 14 Savage Actions and have seen several problems, but never figured this one out. Of course after it started working properly, I just started shooting again and didn't worry about it. A very clean bolt assembly is absolutely required. A new firing pin and spring are next.

I don't have a clue how old your actions is. Do you have another action and blot you can "borrow" parts from just to try?

BillPa
11-12-2013, 01:37 AM
OK guys this is NOT and i will repete NOT an accutrigger problem. Notice in the first post pa said it left a little dimple in the primer?

I agree, but to add another log to the fire, if the trigger over travel is set too tight it causes the sear to drag over the radius on the trigger padding the pin fall then depending on the trigger pull it may fire one time and not the next.

I love diagnosing interment problems, it gives me a reason to drink more beer!

Bill

pahoghunter
11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I got it now. this can't be the problem the pockets are tight and I am using my Rock Chucker to seat the primers.

bodywerks
11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree, but to add another log to the fire, if the trigger over travel is set too tight it causes the sear to drag over the radius on the trigger padding the pin fall then depending on the trigger pull it may fire one time and not the next.

I love diagnosing interment problems, it gives me a reason to drink more beer!

Bill

There is no over travel adjustment on any of my accutriggers, so I don't see how it could be 'set' wrong. Now, there could be gunk on the trigger, as is common with new rifles, that I could see doing what you describe. Or the accurelease isn't traveling far enough to clear the sear or it has a burr on it. Or there is FOD between the trigger stop and trigger preventing appropriate over travel.
Other than that, if that's not it then I'd agree that firing pin protrusion needs to be checked. The factory sets them around .055, but savage gunsmiths tend to shoot for .035-.045. Anything from .035 to about .060 would indicate that pin protrusion isn't the problem
If that's all good, then it's time to disassemble the bolt and clean it.

Maztech89
11-12-2013, 10:57 AM
I got it now. this can't be the problem the pockets are tight and I am using my Rock Chucker to seat the primers.

I know my Rock Chucker has no "feel" for seating primers and mostly let's then sit up off the floor of the primer pocket and protrude above the base. This is why I use a hand primer, I can actually feel when it is seated entirely and I get the 2-3 thou below base that I desire. If you have access to a hand primer, at least try it. You will see it's actually faster and easier and gives a better feel for the condition of the primer pockets and depth.

pisgah
11-12-2013, 11:27 AM

To the contrary, this points even more strongly to inadequate seating depth as the problem.

pahoghunter
11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I had a similar problem once. I replaced the sear and all was fine there after. (Did this after trying several other parts). Don't ask me what happened. I own maybe 14 Savage Actions and have seen several problems, but never figured this one out. Of course after it started working properly, I just started shooting again and didn't worry about it. A very clean bolt assembly is absolutely required. A new firing pin and spring are next.

I don't have a clue how old your actions is. Do you have another action and blot you can "borrow" parts from just to try?

Its new, and no I don't have any other actions