PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hider, Hog Hunter; How NOT to Do It!

Pages : [1] 2

Silvercrow1
11-06-2013, 05:00 PM
As in so many things in life, I'm rollin' along just fine thank you, then all of a sudden ....

So I decided to put a flash hider on my Hog Hunter in .308, rather than a compensator. Really, all I want to do is get rid of the knurled thread protector that came on the gun. Anyway, my crush washer and the Flash hider came from Brownells today. Being an anxious sort, I "test fitted" them, and noted that I had about 2/3 revolution to get the hider indexed (A2 type- solid bottom (toward ground) birdcage type). Rather than take the action out of the stock, I used these plastic / rubberized dealies/ protectors they have at work to vice clamp pipes, carefully (I thought) clamped the barrel, applied a 3/4" wrench to the flats of the flash hider and turned...turned...(Sloooowly I turned...step by step...*sorry*) and SNAP! Off popped the front sight! Sassafrassinsonofabirddog! The protectors I used for the barrel just caught the edge of the front sight mount- the barrel turned a little in the protectors and...you get the idea.

NOW I get to meet the local gunsmith, who is reportedly tops in his profession and a fair guy. I just hope he can get the smallish screw out of the barrel and then twist the flash hider on the rest of the way.

Filed under: STOOPID, DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION, CROW, SILVER...

Brian

foxx
11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
sounds like something I would do!

wlleven
11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
As in so many things in life, I'm rollin' along just fine thank you, then all of a sudden ....

So I decided to put a flash hider on my Hog Hunter in .308, rather than a compensator. Really, all I want to do is get rid of the knurled thread protector that came on the gun. Anyway, my crush washer and the Flash hider came from Brownells today. Being an anxious sort, I "test fitted" them, and noted that I had about 2/3 revolution to get the hider indexed (A2 type- solid bottom (toward ground) birdcage type). Rather than take the action out of the stock, I used these plastic / rubberized dealies/ protectors they have at work to vice clamp pipes, carefully (I thought) clamped the barrel, applied a 3/4" wrench to the flats of the flash hider and turned...turned...(Sloooowly I turned...step by step...*sorry*) and SNAP! Off popped the front sight! Sassafrassinsonofabirddog! The protectors I used for the barrel just caught the edge of the front sight mount- the barrel turned a little in the protectors and...you get the idea.

NOW I get to meet the local gunsmith, who is reportedly tops in his profession and a fair guy. I just hope he can get the smallish screw out of the barrel and then twist the flash hider on the rest of the way.

Brian

Sometimes we can get impatient !

I took my stock off,, rear sight blade off and the barrel went into a vice with thick 3/8 12x12 rubber slab between the jaws. The crush washer need to be shortened about .o30 so I had about a quarter of a turn on it.

I then decreased the threads and applied some blue locktite and then ran a very strong and stiff nylon/cloth impregnated dowel that just barley fit into the large Cooley break holes on the side and started to turn ... It takes a lot of force and you must go slow, no one it strong enough to hold the barrel and if you try to turn it in the stock you very well may break your stock. I then alligned the top holes with the front sight.

So far I have done this on three Savages, two Hog Hunters and a Mod 10FP-SR and it has worked out.

I'll be the first to admit, it is a pain in the Bu##.

wll

stangfish
11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Spike!

Silvercrow1
11-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Spike!

Like in volleyball??:(

wlleven
11-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Spike!

I feel your pain, I have screwed up lots of things by wanting to do it now and not having the right tools ..... Hopefully I have learned !

wll

BillPa
11-06-2013, 09:53 PM

Brian

Welcome to the "Duh" club!

See this thingy?

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ajosi9.jpg

Its known as "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outter". It makes removing tight bedded recoil lugs child's play.

Its also very efficient at removing glued in pillars when one forgets to remove the action screw.

Duh!!!!

Bill

Silvercrow1
11-06-2013, 09:57 PM
I feel your pain, I have screwed up lots of things by wanting to do it now and not having the right tools ..... Hopefully I have learned !

wll

*SIGH* yeah. Lesson learned. How expensive a lesson I will see! IF I had the dough I'd buy a scope, which I intend to do eventually. But in the meantime I can actually see the front sight well enough to shoot out to 100 yards, and theres no way I'd leave the gun like this anyway.

Appointment with the village "Smitthy" 0830 tomorrow. Brian

RP12
11-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Keep us informed.

Silvercrow1
11-06-2013, 10:08 PM

See this thingy?

Its known as "Ye Auld Action Ripper Outter". It makes removing tight bedded recoil lugs child's play.

Its also very efficient at removing glued in pillars when one forgets to remove the action screw.

Duh!!!!

Bill

WOW! VERY efficient action / pillar ripper-outer! Thanks Bill- I knew I wasn't alone...but misery does enjoy company! Brian

Silvercrow1
11-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Keep us informed.

Will Do RP!

foxx
11-06-2013, 10:41 PM
See this thingy?

Duh!!!!

Bill

Nice! I could have used one of them not too long ago. Might need one again.

wlleven
11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Will Do RP!

Looking forward to seeing u get your hog hunter set up.

For me, this gun is the perfect 75-250 yrd Pig, Deer, Elk and ? gun. Depending on the ammo this gun should be able to do it for just about all big game in America.......some of you ask about brown bear, well a 220 grain round nose should make him think about life, but I don't know ... brown bears are huge and very tough and may be to much for the 308 ...... but I would listen to folks who live in Montana and Alaska to see if the 308 with a heavy bullet would be OK for these big brownies !

wll

Silvercrow1
11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Well- I think I have made a friend with the gunsmith- VERY nice and interesting guy. Builds long range rifles and has been a winning competitor in the past.

He figures about $75.00 total with a Williams firesight replacement in the front blade. Pretty cool. He also sells reloading equipment, has a cool collection of older quality scopes etc. Turn around will be about a week.

Expensive lesson- but met a reliable guy and possibly a good future resource.

Will let y'all know when I got her back up and running! Brian

BillPa
11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice! I could have used one of them not too long ago. Might need one again.

My uncle used one those gadgets to take apart the first rifle I bedded some forty years ago. I did well, except for one small step, sump'm about applying release agent, whatever that is.:o

Bill

Silvercrow1
11-07-2013, 03:48 PM
My uncle used one those gadgets to take apart the first rifle I bedded some forty years ago. I did well, except for one small step, sump'm about applying release agent, whatever that is.:o

Bill

AAAACCCKKK!:stung: Man I bet Uncle made up some new vocabulary removing that action! I successfully did a pillar job on my 110's stock, but I'm not feeling brave enough to do a full bedding, although there are a lot of good solid "instructional" threads and videos on the process. Thanks for sharing..A good smile and laugh are always appreciated!
Brian

BillPa
11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
AAAACCCKKK!:stung: Man I bet Uncle made up some new vocabulary removing that action!
Brian

No, he lowered his head , looked at me over his glasses and muttered...."dumb boy"!

Every now and then someone would bring one into the shop stuck tight. Usually they came apart a after night in the freezer with the Ripper Outer installed. I recall one the bedding material didn't appear to be anything I recognized, it was cold black and kinda melted when I tried to grind the excess off. I called and asked him what it was.

Black roof patch!:rolleyes:

Bill

davemuzz
11-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I will admit that I've never screwed up any of my garage gunsmithing projects. But then, if I were to stand behind that statement, all of you would know that I am just a flat our lier. I have my very first Stevens .308 barrel that I removed. It' a nice tomato steak that's out back. It was a darn good shooter…..until I got my mitt's on it.

Dave

wlleven
11-07-2013, 05:15 PM

See this thingy?

Duh!!!!

Bill

I must be really stupid, I don't see how it works, does it clamp on to the barrel, In the receiver, and if so how ?

Sorry.

wll

Apache
11-07-2013, 07:17 PM
The wood is kind of U shaped. Think of an upside down U. The "legs" rest on the stock, the C clamp pulls up on the receiver as it is tightened to pull it out of the stock.

BillPA is VERY clever and knowledgeable.....he has saved a LOT of projects gone bad!