PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hider, Hog Hunter; How NOT to Do It!

Pages : 1 [2]

thomae
11-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I will admit that I've never screwed up any of my garage gunsmithing projects. But then, if I were to stand behind that statement, all of you would know that I am just a flat our lier. I have my very first Stevens .308 barrel that I removed. It' a nice tomato steak that's out back. It was a darn good shooter…..until I got my mitt's on it.
Dave"I, for one, have never made a mistake or messed up any proje. . . .HEY! Why is my nose suddenly growing longer?"

To Silvercrow: Glad it was not a mistake that got you injured. Thanks for having the guts to share, because we all learn much more from our mistakes than from our successes.

GaCop
11-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Cherish that good gunsmith, they are few and far between.

davemuzz
11-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I must be really stupid, I don't see how it works, does it clamp on to the barrel, In the receiver, and if so how ?

Sorry.

wll

I believe there is a "U" cut out in that plywood. It's tough to see in that pic because it's too dark.

Dave

BillPa
11-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I believe there is a "U" cut out in that plywood. It's tough to see in that pic because it's too dark.

Dave

You got it Dave. The opening is made just enough clearance to slid over the receiver ring and the opening is high enough to clear mounts if installed
The anvil of the C clamp is placed inside the receiver ring as far as possible then the screw tightened. The ripper pushes down on the stock while the C clamp anvil pulls the action up. Pushing down on the bridge helps it pull straight up, it tends to tip the front of the action down.

When snugging the clamp you have to be a little careful. If an action is tight in the bedding tighten the screw about 1/2 to a full turn after you feel it getting tight then give the barrel an upward smack with your hand. 99% the time it will pop loose. If you have a "glue job" toss the whole mess in a freezer for a day. More often than not when steel will contracts the ripper will pull it loose.

Bill