PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis 30.06 recoil

Pages : [1] 2

Bueller
11-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Hi all! I recently purchased a synthetic stock axis in 30.06. I shot it over the weekend and let me tell you it kicks like a mule. My shoulder is killing me. With the weird way the recoil pad connects to the axis body, does anyone have any suggestions or is there any instructional post or anything that will tell me how to install a limbsaver recoil pad onto this axis synthetic stock rifle?

Thanks in advance!

LoneWolf
11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
First thing I did with the factory stock was fill the buttstock with bondo body filler. Adds a little weight. I've never installed a limbsaver recoil pad, but everything needs tweaking to work with the Axis. Better to put it in an aftermarket laminate stock then add the recoil pad.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
11-04-2013, 06:50 PM
First thing I did with the factory stock was fill the buttstock with bondo body filler. Adds a little weight. I've never installed a limbsaver recoil pad, but everything needs tweaking to work with the Axis.

Some also add metal to the bondo or epoxy filler. 30-06 + light stock = sore shoulder!

contenderv07
11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Just to see what it felt like I put a small bag of rice in mine. I may try getting some BB's from walmart and put them in there. That will work on the butt- stock but the forestock, I need to play around with it. I was thinking some lead tape (like the kind for golf clubs), or some wheel weights. The limbsaver (from what I hear) is awesome.. I think I'm going to get this one http://www.amazon.com/Limbsaver-10547-Remington-Winchester-Description/dp/B002NT0GOG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2 . If you like it you can take it off and put it on other guns you may have.. Last thing, you may want to look at the kind of ammo, maybe a 125gr. I love my 150 gr rounds

fla9-40
11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I've not shot a 30-06 that didn't kick like a mule!!:biggrin-new:
After about 5 rounds I'm ready to quit!

Never installed one, but I bet adding a little weight would help tame a little...

Good luck!

jeffman3
11-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm looking at an Axis 30-06. First thing I am going to do, is put it in an aftermarket laminate stock with an "upgraded" recoil pad. That is where I would start. (I too have a sensitive shoulder.) Second, is to work up some 125 grain loads for it, for hunting deer sized game. (For the big stuff I'll work up heavier loads.) A trigger is in the mix somewhere sometime too. Good luck!

diesel
11-06-2013, 02:39 AM
tell ya what, I'm 81, 6' 1" 215 lbs. but with that Authur Ritus in both shoulders, from the bench, any recoil hurts. solution, a Past magnum recoil pad. have shot 300 WIN mag many times at the bench without TOO much discomfort. when shooting a couple shots at game, (it you need more than that, something's wrong) you never feel that recoil anyhow. never go to the range without it.

davemuzz
11-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Go to the Limbsaver web site. You can print out a template of their recoil pads and match up the one that will fit your rifle stock. The Limbsaver will be the best $35 you put on your rifle. Once installed you can go to the range and shoot 25 or 35 rounds and you won't have that black 'n blue shoulder.

Dave

J.Baker
11-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Tip on installing a Limbsaver or Decelerator recoil pad: Throw it in the freezer overnight and pull it out when your ready to install and grind it to fit. They're extremely soft and if you try to grind on it when they're not frozen they will tear and peel and the end result will look like crap. Freezing it will make it good and hard so you can shape it and get clean smooth edges.

thermaler
11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
My impression of after-market buttpads is generally "Meh." In some cases they lengthen your pull which can worsen the problem IMO. I have a 300 win mag which pounds harder than a 30 06--I go with the "get some weight inside the buttstock area to absorb recoil" camp. I have put a 1" tube of aluminum filled with washers and rubber pads inside my axis and 111's (flatten one end so it goes way up into the trigger/comb area) and it seems to reduce felt recoil enough so that I can fire off 30 or more rounds in a session without much pain--but more importantly it balances the recoil/muzzle-lift and reduces "anticipatory flinch" which causes all kinds of problems. YRMV.

RP12
11-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Tip on installing a Limbsaver or Decelerator recoil pad: Throw it in the freezer overnight and pull it out when your ready to install and grind it to fit. They're extremely soft and if you try to grind on it when they're not frozen they will tear and peel and the end result will look like crap. Freezing it will make it good and hard so you can shape it and get clean smooth edges.Great tip, thanks Pard.

thomae
11-07-2013, 08:09 PM
If you are willing to go with a laminate stock, I'd get a Boyds' stock and pay to have a Decelerator pad custom fit. The price from Boyds' is the same as what you would pay to buy the same pad elsewhere that you would then have to fit. I have the jig, and have custom fit 2 pads to existing stocks. It's not hard, but if I were buying a Boyds stock, I'd have them do it.

GunsNH
10-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Anyone got a part number for the limbsaver for the savage axis?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

J.Baker
10-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Far as I know they don't make a direct fit replacement for the Axis, and even if they did in the past it probably wouldn't fit the newer style stock that they started putting on the Axis last year.

GunsNH
10-20-2019, 06:50 PM
Far as I know they don't make a direct fit replacement for the Axis, and even if they did in the past it probably wouldn't fit the newer style stock that they started putting on the Axis last year.Do they make a slip over one that would fit?

charlie b
10-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Instead of installing a pad on each rifle I use a PAST shoulder recoil pad. Works much better too as it distributes the recoil over a larger area.

GunsNH
10-20-2019, 06:56 PM
Instead of installing a pad on each rifle I use a PAST shoulder recoil pad. Works much better too as it distributes the recoil over a larger area.Got a link to where I can get one?

foxx
10-20-2019, 07:03 PM
or try a Beartooth recoil pad. It"s a slip on neoprene pad with multiple pad inserts for a custom fit/

GunsNH
10-20-2019, 07:08 PM
or try a Beartooth recoil pad. It"s a slip on neoprene pad with multiple pad inserts for a custom fit/I'll look into it. Thanks for the help.

charlie b
10-21-2019, 06:39 AM
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259?pid=699899&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Range+Accessories&utm_content=699899&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Range+Accessories-_-PAST-_-699899&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7NzO15St5QIVSx-tBh2z5AEzEAQYASABEgIQPfD_BwE