PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis 30.06 recoil

Pages : 1 [2]

J.Baker
10-21-2019, 12:57 PM
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259?pid=699899&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Range+Accessories&utm_content=699899&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Range+Accessories-_-PAST-_-699899&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7NzO15St5QIVSx-tBh2z5AEzEAQYASABEgIQPfD_BwE

I just got the LimbSaver equivalent of one of these for shooting clays, and while it works it's not exactly the most comfortable thing to wear and in my case I notice it tends to shift position on me leaving the buttstock just off the side of it and I'll have to move it back to where it needs to be.

GunsNH
10-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Gonna go with the Beartooth recoil pad. Looks nice and got good reviews.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

J.Baker
10-21-2019, 01:04 PM
BTW, haven't most all of the Axis rifles made come with the factory squishy recoil pad? I'm fairly certain the new ones (with the new stock) do, but can't remember if the older ones did with the original stock design. If it is the squishy pad, you're not going to find anything aftermarket that's going to work any better. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to recoil, but both the 110 Apex and 110 Storm rifles I reviewed were in .30-06 and had the squishy pad and the recoil was very manageable. The rifle still jumps up off the rest with some vigor, but the felt recoil at the shoulder was light enough I had no problem shooting 60-80 rounds per range session.

GunsNH
10-21-2019, 01:09 PM
BTW, haven't most all of the Axis rifles made come with the factory squishy recoil pad? I'm fairly certain the new ones (with the new stock) do, but can't remember if the older ones did with the original stock design. If it is the squishy pad, you're not going to find anything aftermarket that's going to work any better. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to recoil, but both the 110 Apex and 110 Storm rifles I reviewed were in .30-06 and had the squishy pad and the recoil was very manageable. The rifle still jumps up off the rest with some vigor, but the felt recoil at the shoulder was light enough I had no problem shooting 60-80 rounds per range session.Yeah it has a rubber pad, but doesn't help enough. I can shoot my 12 gauge with no issues, but this 30.06 kills my shoulder after 10 rounds. Looking for a little extra cushion.

J.Baker
10-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Did a little digging and Savage has never used their very good recoil pad (the P.A.D.) on the Axis series rifles.

Jester560
10-21-2019, 02:34 PM
tell ya what, I'm 81, 6' 1" 215 lbs. but with that Authur Ritus in both shoulders, from the bench, any recoil hurts. solution, a Past magnum recoil pad. have shot 300 WIN mag many times at the bench without TOO much discomfort. when shooting a couple shots at game, (it you need more than that, something's wrong) you never feel that recoil anyhow. never go to the range without it.

Instead of installing a pad on each rifle I use a PAST shoulder recoil pad. Works much better too as it distributes the recoil over a larger area.

+1 on the PAST recoil pad. I have had neck and upper back surgery so shooting any of my hard recoiling rifles just plain hurts. I got the PAST super magnum pad and can easily make it through a 50 shot session with my 300 Win Mag.

charlie b
10-21-2019, 02:58 PM
I bought the PAST years ago when I was shooting conicals out of sidelock muzzleloaders with those wicked crescent buttstocks. My current ML is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter and it will cause a bleeding wound when fired with stiff loads (80-100gn powder 400gn bullet). No more pain with the recoil pad.

Yes, sometimes the shoulder pad can move off if I move around a lot. The extra comfort is worth it to me.

GaCop
10-26-2019, 07:06 AM
From what I experienced trying to reduce the LOP on may axis, it will be a PIA to mount an aftermarket pad because of the hollow but stock.

GunsNH
10-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Yeah that's what I hear. Going to get a Boyd's stock and have it configured to my spec. (length of pull). They have a limbsaver option as well with their stock to.

Gman69
11-01-2019, 03:14 PM
i have the same rifle and i don't think it kicks all that hard.

Minooka
11-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Get yourself a 7mm-08 or a 6.5 creedmoor problem solved

Minooka
11-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Yes

hamiltonkiler
11-03-2019, 01:29 PM
I drilled a hole big enough in the rear of the stock to fill up with silicon window door clear stuff. Mass is the only real recoil reducer without sacrificing performance. A 150gn bullet loaded light is still a nice 300yd deer gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txrob5150
11-14-2019, 11:45 AM
When I first took up shooting (introduced to deer hunting), I learned on a 30-06, and still have the same rifle to this day in the original Savage 110 stock.

I think some of the recoil issues also have to do with managing the shoulder "press". When my buddy was teaching me, he noticed I tended to softly push the stock into my shoulder and did not establish a firm hold. Not only did that multiply the recoil, it was messing up my shot placement. His advice was to think of it like a shotgun where you have to "shove" the stock into your shoulder and really press it in to get a firm "sold". After 100 rounds that day, had it down and recoil has been manageable since.

Stumpkiller
11-14-2019, 12:00 PM
BTW, haven't most all of the Axis rifles made come with the factory squishy recoil pad? I'm fairly certain the new ones (with the new stock) do, but can't remember if the older ones did with the original stock design. If it is the squishy pad, you're not going to find anything aftermarket that's going to work any better. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to recoil, but both the 110 Apex and 110 Storm rifles I reviewed were in .30-06 and had the squishy pad and the recoil was very manageable. The rifle still jumps up off the rest with some vigor, but the felt recoil at the shoulder was light enough I had no problem shooting 60-80 rounds per range session.

That^^.

I've not shot a 30-06 that didn't kick like a mule!!:biggrin-new:
After about 5 rounds I'm ready to quit!

Also that^^.

I'm a big fan of the Pachmayr Decelerator. I don't consider myself recoil shy but a light .30-06 is going to smack you around pretty well no matter what the recoil pad is. As they say: "TANSTAAFL". Nice to carry hunting (like the 'ol Ithaca Deerslayer pump slug gun) but abusive. I'd recommend you put a pad in a shooting jacket or slip a shot filled bag between you and the stock when doing range work.

GaCop
11-20-2019, 08:32 AM
I bought the PAST years ago when I was shooting conicals out of sidelock muzzleloaders with those wicked crescent buttstocks. My current ML is a Lyman Great Plains Hunter and it will cause a bleeding wound when fired with stiff loads (80-100gn powder 400gn bullet). No more pain with the recoil pad.

Yes, sometimes the shoulder pad can move off if I move around a lot. The extra comfort is worth it to me.

I had the same problem with my 1982 made Marlin 45-70. The crescent butt plate looked nice but the pain from shooting heavy loads wasn't. I ended up chopping the crescent portion off my stock and added a Limbsaver recoil pad. Rifle with heavy loads after that change was a ***** cat.

12bhunting
11-20-2019, 05:46 PM
You will like the Boyd stock. If that don't work turn it into a 25-06.....