PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my Savage 10FP-SR in 308 today !

Pages : [1] 2

wlleven
10-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Well I want a rifle to shoot at the range and although I like the 6BR, that is more dies and bullet buys and ?, right now I have all the 308 stuff so I'm going with that.

I will install a Cooley muzzle break and will be getting rid of the factory stock and getting a Boyd s Tacticool stock, I seems like the best bang for the buck. Who has one and do they like it ?

I have to mill down the muzzle break to fit the OD of the barrel, and will do that when the gun is at my FFL dealers.

I have scopes to try yet need to get rings, probably Leopold, but will check to see what I have on hand, I may have a Weaver 4-16 still in the box ;- )

So the adventure starts, pics to come later !

wll

wlleven
10-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Well I want a rifle to shoot at the range and although I like the 6BR, that is more dies and bullet buys and ?, right now I have all the 308 stuff so I'm going with that.

I will install a Cooley muzzle break and will be getting rid of the factory stock and getting a Boyd s Tacticool stock, I seems like the best bang for the buck. Who has one and do they like it ?

I have to mill down the muzzle break to fit the OD of the barrel, and will do that when the gun is at my FFL dealers.

I have scopes to try yet need to get rings, probably Leopold, but will check to see what I have on hand, I may have a Weaver 4-16 still in the box ;- )

So the adventure starts, pics to come later !

wll

Well like promised, I bought a Cooley large muzzle break .875 diameter, bought the Boyd's Tacticool stock, Did not get rings or scope yet, still deciding if I'm going to use my Weaver 4x16 or go with a 30mm tube Vortex 4x16 44mm tactical scope. They have had good reviews and a reasonable price point, I'm looking at a Viper HS-T.

For my use that would be awesome!, just don't know if I can use low rings or need medium ?

wll

txbdyguard
10-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a nice build. I bought a Vortex 4x16x50 HST and love it.

wlleven
10-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a nice build. I bought a Vortex 4x16x50 HST and love it.

I have heard that it tracks very well and returns to zero. I have heard that the click adjustments are very good, that is the reason I'm looking at it.

wll

missed
10-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Well like promised, I bought a Cooley large muzzle break .875 diameter, bought the Boyd's Tacticool stock, Did not get rings or scope yet, still deciding if I'm going to use my Weaver 4x16 or go with a 30mm tube Vortex 4x16 44mm tactical scope. They have had good reviews and a reasonable price point, I'm looking at a Viper HS-T.

For my use that would be awesome!, just don't know if I can use low rings or need medium ?

wll

I have a 50mm objective viper on both my guns with medium Burris tactical rings and I could get away with lows.

mazroth
10-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Just picked up my savage 10TR today, was looking at the 10fp-sr if I couldn't get this one. A little broke due to birthdays etc, so optics are going to have to wait awhile. I was looking at the Burris Mtac 4.5-14x42. I picked up two sets of slightly used TPS rings several weeks ago pretty cheap, hopefully they work or will need a new base.

thermaler
10-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Just picked up my savage 10TR today, was looking at the 10fp-sr if I couldn't get this one. A little broke due to birthdays etc, so optics are going to have to wait awhile. I was looking at the Burris Mtac 4.5-14x42. I picked up two sets of slightly used TPS rings several weeks ago pretty cheap, hopefully they work or will need a new base.For just under 300 you can get a fixed mag SWFA scope--nothing else comes close in it's price range : ). The only other thing I'd look at in the "cheapo" category is a Leaupold 12x rifleman you can get from Midway USA for about $250. Although it has a simple crosshair reticle it still has the ultra-superb Leupold glass resolution. The one-hole test groupings for my ammo work-ups are shot with this scope atop my Axis.

wlleven
10-22-2013, 10:07 PM
For just under 300 you can get a fixed mag SWFA scope--nothing else comes close in it's price range : ). The only other thing I'd look at in the "cheapo" category is a Leaupold 12x rifleman you can get from Midway USA for about $250. Although it has a simple crosshair reticle it still has the ultra-superb Leupold glass resolution. The one-hole test groupings for my ammo work-ups are shot with this scope atop my Axis.

Thank you very much, it looks like a very good quality scope and could save me a couple of hundred dollars.

Thank you again for the info !

wll

wlleven
10-22-2013, 11:00 PM
For just under 300 you can get a fixed mag SWFA scope--nothing else comes close in it's price range : ). The only other thing I'd look at in the "cheapo" category is a Leaupold 12x rifleman you can get from Midway USA for about $250. Although it has a simple crosshair reticle it still has the ultra-superb Leupold glass resolution. The one-hole test groupings for my ammo work-ups are shot with this scope atop my Axis.

Wow, Thermaler thank you again.

I've been online checking out the reviews of the SWFA and they are very impressive for sure. The 10 power looks very good to me for sure, I just may get that instead of the Vortex 4x16.

Looks like both scopes track very well, I just have to decide if I want a variable or not, After all 10 power on a hot day is still tough to see the targets at a long distance because of mirage. 16 power is just about a non use for me in the Kaliforia sun on a summers day !

wll

LoneWolf
10-22-2013, 11:23 PM
I run a SWFA 10x42 mil dot on my Axis in SOCAL with plenty of success out to 890yds at the NCSA Pala range.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3955_zpsed90f0aa.jpg

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

wlleven
10-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I run a SWFA 10x42 mil dot on my Axis in SOCAL with plenty of success out to 890yds at the NCSA Pala range.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/PJ0527/DSCN3955_zpsed90f0aa.jpg

Do you shoot at Desert Marksman ever in Antelope Valley area ?

They are having a match this Sunday and I'll be there to see what folks are using.

wll

LoneWolf
10-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Do you shoot at Desert Marksman ever in Antelope Valley area ?

They are having a match this Sunday and I'll be there to see what folks are using.

wll

North of LA is a little long for me with no one to car pool with. That's why I've been playing at the Pala range.

wlleven
10-23-2013, 12:45 AM
North of LA is a little long for me with no one to car pool with. That's why I've been playing at the Pala range.

Just wondering, it is going to be fun for me as this is my first 1000 yard match to watch !

wll

thermaler
10-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Thank you very much, it looks like a very good quality scope and could save me a couple of hundred dollars.

Thank you again for the info !

wllJust my biased opinion (imagine that), but my eyesight is so bad it takes a really good scope to compensate, that 's how I find "the good ones." : ) The reticle and wind/elev tower actions on the SWFA's are amazing for the price in my opinion.

wlleven
10-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Just my biased opinion (imagine that), but my eyesight is so bad it takes a really good scope to compensate, that 's how I find "the good ones." : ) The reticle and wind/elev tower actions on the SWFA's are amazing for the price in my opinion.

Since LoneWolf mentioned the SWFA line of scopes, I have read every review and looked at the specs. It is a very good scope from what I have seen.

I would like to see one this Sunday, and I just might as they are expecting 30+ shooters.

At $399.00 for the 10x44M with a 30mm tube, including a host of goodies in the kit, this deal is a no brainer for sure !

wll

thermaler
10-23-2013, 02:54 AM
Since LoneWolf mentioned the SWFA line of scopes, I have read every review and looked at the specs. It is a very good scope from what I have seen.

I would like to see one this Sunday, and I just might as they are expecting 30+ shooters.

At $399.00 for the 10x44M with a 30mm tube, including a host of goodies in the kit, this deal is a no brainer for sure !

wllIf yer really on a budget you could skip the kit deal and get a 12x or 16x for around $299--just sayin. If I could only swing it--they have a new FFP (first focal plane) which I think is around $690 or so and something like a 3 x 15.

wlleven
10-23-2013, 03:16 AM
If yer really on a budget you could skip the kit deal and get a 12x or 16x for around $299--just sayin. If I could only swing it--they have a new FFP (first focal plane) which I think is around $690 or so and something like a 3 x 15.

Yes, i saw those scopes, but the only thing is I really like the side parralex knob ? If they made the 12 power with that knob, I would buy it ! 16 power on a fixed is just a little to much for me.

wll

thermaler
10-23-2013, 08:34 AM
I think you can order the side parallax knob as extra on any of them--not sure though. I'm a cheapo and have no problem adjusting parallax on the tube--especially since it's fixed mag anyway. The 16 is a touch "shifty" at 100 but very doable--no worse than any budget 3 x 9 I've ever used. That mil-mil reticle is what makes the scope such a bargain to me.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 12:05 AM
I think you can order the side parallax knob as extra on any of them--not sure though. I'm a cheapo and have no problem adjusting parallax on the tube--especially since it's fixed mag anyway. The 16 is a touch "shifty" at 100 but very doable--no worse than any budget 3 x 9 I've ever used. That mil-mil reticle is what makes the scope such a bargain to me.

I still like to the MOA scope better only because I understand MOA and can make changes quickly! The side parallax is nice when shooting from the prone like the matches I've done.

wlleven
10-24-2013, 12:23 AM
I still like to the MOA scope better only because I understand MOA and can make changes quickly! The side parallax is nice when shooting from the prone like the matches I've done.

The more I read the more I like the SWFA. I was up to 2 am last night researching scopes and everything I have read about the SWFA is good or way above average. It looks like they are my new go to scope !

wll