PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my Savage 10FP-SR in 308 today !

Pages : 1 [2]

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 12:28 AM
The more I read the more I like the SWFA. I was up to 2 am last night researching scopes and everything I have read about the SWFA is good or way above average. It looks like they are my new go to scope !

wll

I'm happy with the kit I purchased! All high quality items!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

thermaler
10-24-2013, 07:30 AM
I still like to the MOA scope better only because I understand MOA and can make changes quickly! The side parallax is nice when shooting from the prone like the matches I've done.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2I love the extra "granularity" of the mil-mil for precision adjustments--to each his own. There are three kinds of people in this world, those who are binary and those who are not. : )

thermaler
10-24-2013, 07:36 AM
The more I read the more I like the SWFA. I was up to 2 am last night researching scopes and everything I have read about the SWFA is good or way above average. It looks like they are my new go to scope !

wll
If you can--go scope them out, so to speak, at a store before you buy. Though I have to admit I've bought scopes at stores that seemed great there but sucked once I got to the field.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
It's amazing how clear fluorescent lights can make glass look isn't it!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

thermaler
10-24-2013, 07:56 AM
It's amazing how clear fluorescent lights can make glass look isn't it!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2I usually insist on going outside with them--though they don't always let me. Hard-edge objects are one thing--bushy soft forms are another.

Rifleshooter308
10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
If your really on a budget for glass you should look at the Primary Arms scopes. Marshall at PA has a special deal with a factory in China that assembles his scopes using Philipino glass. He has two that are real sleepers. One is a SFP 4-16x44 mil-dot 30mm tube with side focus and illumination. This one runs $158 and absolutely blows away most everything else in the $300-$400 range. The other is a FFP 4-14x44mil-dot 30mm with side focus but no illumination. There are three others that are similar and come from the same factory, one made for Midway by BSA and the Falcon Menace. It runs $230 and is the least expensive FFP scope available. The PA scopes come with a one year warranty. I would not use these scopes in my life depended on them but for everyday target shooting and hunting they are exceptional. My long range rig has a Vortex 6-14 PST FFP but I have three of the PA scopes that I switch around on my builds, one FFP and two SFP's. I recommend them to my friends and have five of them using the SFP scopes and they all love them and have had no problems with them at all. They track perfectly and return to zero. The glass is excellent and I would put it up there with everything else in the budget catagory optics. The best part is the customer service by Marshall and his gang. If you buy one in the AM you get a shipping notice by end of day and usually get it in 2 days. I have shot both of these models on steel plates out to 1000 yards with no issues.

thermaler
10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
If your really on a budget for glass you should look at the Primary Arms scopes. Marshall at PA has a special deal with a factory in China that assembles his scopes using Philipino glass. He has two that are real sleepers. One is a SFP 4-16x44 mil-dot 30mm tube with side focus and illumination. This one runs $158 and absolutely blows away most everything else in the $300-$400 range. The other is a FFP 4-14x44mil-dot 30mm with side focus but no illumination. There are three others that are similar and come from the same factory, one made for Midway by BSA and the Falcon Menace. It runs $230 and is the least expensive FFP scope available. The PA scopes come with a one year warranty. I would not use these scopes in my life depended on them but for everyday target shooting and hunting they are exceptional. My long range rig has a Vortex 6-14 PST FFP but I have three of the PA scopes that I switch around on my builds, one FFP and two SFP's. I recommend them to my friends and have five of them using the SFP scopes and they all love them and have had no problems with them at all. They track perfectly and return to zero. The glass is excellent and I would put it up there with everything else in the budget catagory optics. The best part is the customer service by Marshall and his gang. If you buy one in the AM you get a shipping notice by end of day and usually get it in 2 days. I have shot both of these models on steel plates out to 1000 yards with no issues.thanks for the tip!

wlleven
10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
If your really on a budget for glass you should look at the Primary Arms scopes. Marshall at PA has a special deal with a factory in China that assembles his scopes using Philipino glass. He has two that are real sleepers. One is a SFP 4-16x44 mil-dot 30mm tube with side focus and illumination. This one runs $158 and absolutely blows away most everything else in the $300-$400 range. The other is a FFP 4-14x44mil-dot 30mm with side focus but no illumination. There are three others that are similar and come from the same factory, one made for Midway by BSA and the Falcon Menace. It runs $230 and is the least expensive FFP scope available. The PA scopes come with a one year warranty. I would not use these scopes in my life depended on them but for everyday target shooting and hunting they are exceptional. My long range rig has a Vortex 6-14 PST FFP but I have three of the PA scopes that I switch around on my builds, one FFP and two SFP's. I recommend them to my friends and have five of them using the SFP scopes and they all love them and have had no problems with them at all. They track perfectly and return to zero. The glass is excellent and I would put it up there with everything else in the budget catagory optics. The best part is the customer service by Marshall and his gang. If you buy one in the AM you get a shipping notice by end of day and usually get it in 2 days. I have shot both of these models on steel plates out to 1000 yards with no issues.

My 10FP-SR came in yesterday and now it is in gun jail for ten days.

Been looking at all the best bang for your buck scopes and my intentions for this gun and scope combo. It is meant to be just a range gun, shooting 3-8 hundred yard gongs, no competition, just a days worth of fun.

The more I look and read about primary Arms and the quality you get for the buck and all the reviews, plus your statements, for this gun I think it is the way to go.

I'm going to call them this AM to see if low rings will work or I need medium, I want the scope as close as I can get to the barrel.

wll

wlleven
10-25-2013, 09:23 AM
My 10FP-SR came in yesterday and now it is in gun jail for ten days.

Been looking at all the best bang for your buck scopes and my intentions for this gun and scope combo. It is meant to be just a range gun, shooting 3-8 hundred yard gongs, no competition, just a days worth of fun.

The more I look and read about primary Arms and the quality you get for the buck and all the reviews, plus your statements, for this gun I think it is the way to go.

I'm going to call them this AM to see if low rings will work or I need medium, I want the scope as close as I can get to the barrel.

wll

Well I just called them and they said the low tactical rings should work fine and if I was unhappy I could trade for medium rings ...now that is service.

I ordered the 4x16 primary Arms scope and rings after my conversation. I'm sure I'll be happy with the purchase !

wll

Rifleshooter308
10-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I''m sure you will like it. Marshall and gang understand customer service. He made buckets of me! The low rings are what you need on your 10FP. The lower the better and the 44mm Objective on that scope will give you about an 1/8" spacing between the barrel. Just perfect.

wlleven
10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
I''m sure you will like it. Marshall and gang understand customer service. He made buckets of me! The low rings are what you need on your 10FP. The lower the better and the 44mm Objective on that scope will give you about an 1/8" spacing between the barrel. Just perfect.

That is perfect !

I'm liking Savage more and more, used to be a Remington guy only, with an occasional Ruger thrown in.

I had a Savage 22-250 bull barrel years ago that shot .75 to all day long with the cheap nylon stock. Sold it to a buddy who put a heavy varmint stock on it and pillar bedded it and shot .30 all day long and sometimes better.

On another post I mentioned how I tested my Hog Hunter today ...I'm in love with that rifle, and with the Cooley large muzzle break it is great to shoot, That break has to take out well over 50% of the kick, I'm betting closer to 70%, fantastic !

The 10FP-SR that this scope will go on, should be a good range gun, I have not had a pure range gun in many years.

wll

Dispatch1
11-07-2013, 06:34 PM
wlleven, just found this thread. I have had a 10fpsr for about 4 months for the same reason you were getting yours: a good range gun in a caliber i am already tooled up for. Here is what i have found out and hope you get it in time: since it is a top loader the one-piece scope mounts that are out there limit access to the magazine. I replaced the one-piece i had purchased with a two-piece Burris and am glad i did. Much easier to access that area from the top. I replaced my stock with a Stockysstock "New and Improved Long Range Varmint Laminated Thumbhole". It does not have aluminum blocks or is glass bedded but i still couldnt be happier; ordered it on a wednesday and was on my door next day regular shipping(i live in the same state). Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with a RZ800 reticle. It loves 168gr hpbt bullets behind 39gr varget powder. Also loves the Hornady AMAX 155br bt bullet behind varget powder. I know you will really enjoy your 10fpsr and be amazed by how accurate these guns are right out of the box. Good luck and let us know how it does at the range.

wlleven
11-08-2013, 06:15 AM
wlleven, just found this thread. I have had a 10fpsr for about 4 months for the same reason you were getting yours: a good range gun in a caliber i am already tooled up for. Here is what i have found out and hope you get it in time: since it is a top loader the one-piece scope mounts that are out there limit access to the magazine. I replaced the one-piece i had purchased with a two-piece Burris and am glad i did. Much easier to access that area from the top. I replaced my stock with a Stockysstock "New and Improved Long Range Varmint Laminated Thumbhole". It does not have aluminum blocks or is glass bedded but i still couldnt be happier; ordered it on a wednesday and was on my door next day regular shipping(i live in the same state). Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with a RZ800 reticle. It loves 168gr hpbt bullets behind 39gr varget powder. Also loves the Hornady AMAX 155br bt bullet behind varget powder. I know you will really enjoy your 10fpsr and be amazed by how accurate these guns are right out of the box. Good luck and let us know how it does at the range.

Well, I too usually hate solid mounts, but have put a Ironsighter solid mount on this gun. the Ironsighter has 1/2 of the rail above the action cut out (they make a right hand and left hand model) so it is easy to access the top area. If I did not have this mount it would be a two piece for sure, all my hunting rigs have two piece mounts for the access reason. Like I mentioned, I have and installed the large Cooley muzzle break a few days ago ;- )

I bought a Boyd's Tacticool stock and waiting on a few parts before I put the gun in it. I just mounted a primary Arms 4x16 on this gun and going to the range today to see how it performs. Don't have my reloading stuff up and ready yet so shooting some lousy American Eagle for testing purposes only.

I think from all I've read I will be feeding her 155 A-Max bullets, as this is a range gun for shooting 300-600+ yard gongs and that kind of stuff (no competition).

Will keep you posted ;- )

wll

wlleven
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Well the new primary Arms scope made a big difference, I can get .5 at 50yds, so If I keep it at 1 inch at 100 that's OK, but I want better. I think the American Eagle ammo has a lot to do with the group size.

The Cooley muzzle break works awesome and makes the 308 a pleasant gun to shoot. I will go back to the range tomorrow.

wll

Edit ! Change of plans

... collected up about a million of my old gun cases and taking them to storage tomorrow ...also found some military 308 ammo that I bought years ago in a sealed plastic green bag. Took it out at it is non-magnetic, perfect for doing some more testing.

Will go to the range on Sunday instead ...have a beer tasting event in Lancaster tomorrow, should be fun !

wll