View Full Version : Wanting to start reloading

Pages : 1 [2] 3

big honkin jeep
10-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Ok besides the kit I have dies; case length gage and trimmer; shell holder and bullets. Anything else besides primers and powder? And where is a good place to start on those two?

If you get lee dies they will come with a shellholder so you can scratch that.
Powder is usually best sourced locally. even if it's a couple of bucks more per pound it's a wash because you don't have online shipping and Haz mat fees.
Shooters pro shop is a great place to get Nosler bullets if they have what you need. I like the over runs and blems. Never had a problem with any of them and the price is right.
Quite a while back I got a great deal on .30 cal 180 Accubond blems that had the wrong color tip. They were orange instead of white and half the price of the white ones. They shoot great.

*tim*
10-16-2013, 12:45 AM
The only other thing I need is a way to clean my old brass. I read about soaking in a five gallon bucket then baking them in the oven for a while to get them perfectly dry. This seems cheap and effective way but I'm open to more expensive and better ways

mazroth
10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I just started loading for my first time in Sept 13. I had the cash, and went with the rock chucker supreme kit. I have not used my uniflow powder measure cylinder yet, since I have been experimenting with loads (7.62x39 w/308 proj.) One item I found very useful is a powder trickler, and the lee improved powder measure kit. I did a little reading of the manuals, but I learned mainly from speaking with a friend at work that has been reloading for 20 years. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

About buying primers and powders. The price to ship is to much, so I buy local. Now, its difficult in these times, you need to find a shop, and speak with them, and hopefully they let you know when shipments come in, and you can at least get your hand on a lb. or two.

About cleaning brass, I have not bought anything yet, im just using new brass. My pal at work said he would clean my brass for me, but eventually, I want my own too.

mazroth
10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Also a bullet puller will be needed. I use a kinetic puller.

I needed it because I had no idea where to set my die at to seat the bullet. So I took a lubed case with no primer, and experimented. I kept adjusting the die, pulling the bullet, and reseating it till I got the desired COL-case overall length.

I hate to admit it, but I cheated on a few manuals. I will end up buying the sierra and hornady eventually, only have speer atm. Found a manual opened, and I snapped a few pics to help me get started.

seon97
10-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but a good set of calipers is a nice thing to have on sight mainly for COAL. In buying some of the lee packages, it will include the lee loading book witch has an enormous amount of info about reloading. If you can get by the advertising of lee items in it. I have Sierra's Nosler's, Hornady's and lee's all are very informative when it comes to loading But lee has the best info on how to get to the bench and actually start reloading. My 2cents
Monty

psharon97
10-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Also I read somewhere that when buying powder online there is a hazmat fee so should I just buy locally

Depends on how much shooting you want to do. When I buy powder online, I don't just buy a 1lb container and pay the $25 hazmat. I'll buy an 8lb container, ask some other reloaders if they need powder or primers, see if anyone wants me to buy any cartridges online; in essence try to reduce the pain of that hazmat fee.

The other scenario is if you have to have the powder right now, and you can't buy it locally. In that case, I would still buy the 8lb container if possible. I paid roughly $190 for IMR 4895 with shipping and hazmat fee. That works out to a little more the $23 a pound something I couldn't get in stores. Something to consider.

tufrthnails
12-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Hey guys new to the site and found this thread. I have been kicking around reloading for a few years even have a nice stash of once shot brass piling up. I just want a ball park figure what it cost you guys to load a box of 20. I will be starting with reloading my .270 since I shoot it the most.

foxx
12-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey guys new to the site and found this thread. I have been kicking around reloading for a few years even have a nice stash of once shot brass piling up. I just want a ball park figure what it cost you guys to load a box of 20. I will be starting with reloading my .270 since I shoot it the most.

It's hard to calculate, Tuf. Kinda like a drug. I started just like you said, and got hooked. Now I shoot so much that I am spending much more than I ever imagined I would, because it is so much fun and addicting. "Can I tweak it just a little more and get a little better group?" Wonder if I should try something else? How would a different caliber shoot? Ooohhh... I like the way that looks and feels... :)

On average, though, I would say my rounds cost much less than 1/2 of factory loads. The "problem" is, my activity has gone up exponentially. Good luck. Have fun. Ask lots of questions. There's a ton of knowledge and experience here that is also ready, willing and eager to share.

fgw_in_fla
12-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Considering I was paying 40 bucks a box for Federal .270 w/ 150gr Nosler - Vital Shoks ammo, I'm now happy to make my own for about a buck a piece.

Or, are you trying to convince your 'ol lady that you'll be saving money by reloading your own?
Forget it. They never fall for that line.

Just buy everything, sneak it in & set it up. Explain & take your licks later.

tufrthnails
12-06-2013, 07:46 AM
LOL! Even if I was trying to do it for saving money she would not believe me. We have a good setup my overtime money is mine if there are no emergency (and I mean Emergency not your hair dryer broke). So how I spend that portion is up to me. I want to shoot more that is why I was trying to figure out an idea on how much more I could shoot if I was reloading.

fgw_in_fla
12-06-2013, 08:05 AM
LOL! Even if I was trying to do it for saving money she would not believe me. We have a good setup my overtime money is mine if there are no emergency (and I mean Emergency not your hair dryer broke). So how I spend that portion is up to me. I want to shoot more that is why I was trying to figure out an idea on how much more I could shoot if I was reloading.

Yeah.... Right.
That's what she's letting you believe now. Wait.
One day in the not too distant future, you'll have a bench equipped with all kinds of reloading stuff, a cabinet with 8 - 10 cans of powder & many boxes of bullets. Maybe a few more guns hanging out, too.
That's when she walk in, looks around and s-l-o-w-l-y turns toward you and you get "the look."

You might not be married long enough yet. Just wait. It happens to all men. Maybe not all but at least 97%. It happens when you buy guns, fishing gear, tools, hunting gear or anything a man deems necessary for his personal enjoyment.

Let's hope you don't have to learn like some of us here. Married 3 & 4 times....

foxx
12-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Its an "economy of scale" thing, too. Obviously it takes a bit of shooting to overcome the start-up costs. But when your wife calls you on your cell phone and hears shooting in the background and not sleazy stripper music, you're much more likely to be able to sleep in you own bed that night. :)

I have no idea what made me imagine such a scenario.

jhelmuth
12-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah.... Right.
That's what she's letting you believe now. Wait.
One day in the not too distant future, you'll have a bench equipped with all kinds of reloading stuff, a cabinet with 8 - 10 cans of powder & many boxes of bullets. Maybe a few more guns hanging out, too.
That's when she walk in, looks around and s-l-o-w-l-y turns toward you and you get "the look."

You might not be married long enough yet. Just wait. It happens to all men. Maybe not all but at least 97%. It happens when you buy guns, fishing gear, tools, hunting gear or anything a man deems necessary for his personal enjoyment.

Let's hope you don't have to learn like some of us here. Married 3 & 4 times....

+1.... That's when she gets the boot. I'll only tolerate just so much. ( on wife #3)

fgw_in_fla
12-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Its an "economy of scale" thing, too. Obviously it takes a bit of shooting to overcome the start-up costs. But when your wife calls you on your cell phone and hears shooting in the background and not sleazy stripper music, you're much more likely to be able to sleep in you own bed that night. :)

I have no idea what made me imagine such a scenario.

No, no - don't think your point is not valid.
Anything to not get "the look." Or coming home & finding your clothes in bags sitting on the curb.

Also, you'll find you have more ammo when you reload so now you can shoot more. Which, in turn, now you have to make more so you can shoot more. But you can't shoot more until you make more....

See: Post 6 of this thread. My public service announcement.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?29341-Advice-needed-to-start-my-reloading-addictin

foxx
12-06-2013, 10:20 AM
How 'bout this one:

"Maybe I should try a different powder?
It's only $23 for a pound..
But, what if I like it and they sell-out tomorrow?
I better get the 8 pounder."

tufrthnails
12-07-2013, 08:00 AM
LOL! I know how this works. I get "The Look" every she walks in the shop and looks at the Jeep/Crawler. She hasn't left me in our first 9 years of marriage and I got more in that toy in the shop then I could dream of putting into ammo. I am way to busy to sling that many rounds. Don't worry in a year or two you can tell me I told you so if I am wrong!

fgw_in_fla
12-07-2013, 09:35 AM
LOL! I know how this works. I get "The Look" every she walks in the shop and looks at the Jeep/Crawler. She hasn't left me in our first 9 years of marriage and I got more in that toy in the shop then I could dream of putting into ammo. I am way to busy to sling that many rounds. Don't worry in a year or two you can tell me I told you so if I am wrong!

9 years?...
A whole 9 years?...
Rookie.

Rest assured, we'll ALL be there to tell you "We told you so."

kdvarmint
12-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Married to one women 22+ yrs and darn proud of it. I get all I want within reason, and she gets all she wants within reason, and we don't do it "on credit". (A key to success) And no, we're not wealthy. It's what you make it.

foxx
12-07-2013, 12:10 PM
You're right, kd.

Hey, it ain't just us, either. I know of women who have entire closets dedicated to shoes.

SHOES!!!!!

For crying out loud, what's wrong with these women?

kdvarmint
12-07-2013, 12:27 PM
SHOES!!!!!

For crying out loud, what's wrong with these women?

Don't ask.
Don't tell. Lol.