PDA

View Full Version : removing smooth barrel nut

Pages : [1] 2

foxx
10-08-2013, 09:25 PM
How does one remove the smooth barrel nut? I have seen special tools made for the job, but was wondering if there are alternative (common) tools/procedures I could try. I doubt I will be doing this more often than once or twice in my lifetime.

geargrinder
10-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Pipe wrench and replace with a regular notched nut.

goinssr
10-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Exactly what he said. I have a tool to remove one but have not tried it. Most that I've heard that have tried it says it doesn't work well and they wind up with a pipe wrench in their fist.

foxx
10-08-2013, 10:22 PM
:) Okay, maybe there were more points to my question than I realized...

Assuming I go ahead with the pipe wrench, and get a notched nut, should I then get one of those (notched) wrenches?

missed
10-08-2013, 10:29 PM
yes, get a notched nut and notch nut wrench.

I have gotten the smooth nuts off with a strap wrench but I think I got lucky.

foxx
10-08-2013, 10:36 PM
okay. That's what I'll do, then.
thanks, guys.

stangfish
10-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Hey Foxx. Make sure you stay away from the recoil lug with your stillson wrench. We have seen some ugliness if it rotates with the nut.

foxx
10-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Hey Foxx. Make sure you stay away from the recoil lug with your stillson wrench. We have seen some ugliness if it rotates with the nut.

Gotcha.

Thanks.

Damol
10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
I ordered the barrel wrench set by Wheeler and it came with both a duel notched wrench and a wrench for the smooth nut as well.
I have not tried it yet since I'am still waiting on my barrel, but will try the smooth wrench any way.
I picked up a notched nut just to be safe.

wrench man
10-10-2013, 12:27 AM
I ordered the barrel wrench set by Wheeler and it came with both a duel notched wrench and a wrench for the smooth nut as well.

Yep, when I got my Wheeler wrench it had both in the box, the "smooth nut" wrench sits in the box new and unused.

cqh1111
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I just tried to use a pipe wrench to remove a barrel from a 10 p-sr 308. I got it loose, brushed clean the threads and proceeded to remove the nut part of the way, which is where it got stuck and would not move. I tried to back it off. I oiled the threads more. Long story short, I had to dremel it off. After the nut was removed, I noticed that the threads were completely packed with bluing salts (?) and small pieces of "grit".

wbm
10-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Both of the smooth nuts I have removed have been the same way...packed out with grit and salts.

stomp442
10-10-2013, 12:31 PM
I just changed out barrels on a 110fxp and savage axis this week that were both horribly bound up with salts and both had the notched nuts. One I was finally able to get off with a pipe wrench but the nut looked like it had been through a war. I'm going to have to clean it up and coat it or replace it. The other one I had to cut off. I've done a ton of barrel swaps and never had the kind of issues that I had with these two rifles.

OLEJOE
10-11-2013, 09:12 PM
If you had the smooth nut wrench and drilled and tapped a hole where the wrench rides the nut and drilled a shallow hole in the nut, then screwed a bolt through the wrench into the dimple in the nut, would that work? I'm in the process of getting ready for a build and need all the advice I can get.

Gary paugh
10-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I give the nut a good shot of Kroil oil and let it set overnight and then use a pipe wrench and a dead blow hammer.

thomae
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
If you had the smooth nut wrench and drilled and tapped a hole where the wrench rides the nut and drilled a shallow hole in the nut, then screwed a bolt through the wrench into the dimple in the nut, would that work? I'm in the process of getting ready for a build and need all the advice I can get.I think it might, as long as the hole in the wrench didn't weaken the wrench too much. It also sounds like a lot of work, but I will admit that I have been known to spend hours doing something in order to save pennies. When successful, the sense of satisfaction is priceless.

OLEJOE
10-14-2013, 11:02 AM
That's what I'm talking about. Afterall isn't that why we do these things?

OLEJOE
11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
I think it might, as long as the hole in the wrench didn't weaken the wrench too much. It also sounds like a lot of work, but I will admit that I have been known to spend hours doing something in order to save pennies. When successful, the sense of satisfaction is priceless.

I've spent hundreds for what could have been done for pennys. LOL

Switchbarrel
11-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Pipe wrench, strap wrench, etc, sounds like a real pain. I put the barrel in a barrel vice and use an action wrench to back (unscrew) the action away from the nut. No muss, no fuss. As soon as the action breaks away from the nut, the nut and barrel unscrewed by hand. It was quite easy.

-Rick

LoneWolf
11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Pipe wrench, strap wrench, etc, sounds like a real pain. I put the barrel in a barrel vice and use an action wrench to back (unscrew) the action away from the nut. No muss, no fuss. As soon as the action breaks away from the nut, the nut and barrel unscrewed by hand. It was quite easy.

-Rick

Only if the threads are clean which from what I've seen on this forum is not often unless you changed the barrel previously!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2