PDA

View Full Version : removing smooth barrel nut

Pages : 1 [2]

FW Conch
11-05-2013, 12:19 PM
+1 to what LoneWolf said. There are many action nuts out there that aren't that easy! :(

OLEJOE
11-10-2013, 07:56 PM
just removed a smooth nut with the Wheeler wrench and the brass shim that came with it. It came off pretty easy. Just kept tightening the bolt on the wrench and hit it with a hammer. I will give someone the wrench and unscathed smooth nut as I'm not going to use either again.

stangfish
11-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Ill take it. LOL

thomae
11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Dang. Day late and a dollar short once again!

OLEJOE
11-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Ill take it. LOL

If you are serious, I'll PM you with the shipping cost. Also need your address

OLEJOE
11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
It's on its way. Pay It Forward

Idahojoe
11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
The grit in a Axis was like glass beading material. Things worked after brake cleaner and anti-seize. Did make hard to remove.

thomae
11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
The grit in a Axis was like glass beading material. Things worked after brake cleaner and anti-seize. Did make hard to remove.it appears that many of the newer rifles have that same issue. Go slow, clean and the nut will come off. Once the threads are cleaned out it goes back on liked a greased knife through jello.

missed
11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
it appears that many of the newer rifles have that same issue. Go slow, clean and the nut will come off. Once the threads are cleaned out it goes back on liked a greased knife through jello.

This is why I have gotten in the habit of Kroil before and heat the barrel nut to ~250 degrees and they come off a lot easier.

Switchbarrel
11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Only if the threads are clean which from what I've seen on this forum is not often unless you changed the barrel previously!

???

It was a brand new factory rifle. First time for the barrel coming off.
The threads within the action were fine. Unscrewing the action off the barrel as I did, you don't even need to touch the nut (or the threads under/behind it). It's becomes essentially the same procedure as
any shouldered Remington or ? barrel removal.

-Rick

FW Conch
11-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Switchbarrel, with a barrel vice and an action wrench, you are well "set up". That does help take the pain out of the process. :-)