PDA

View Full Version : 6.5-284

Pages : [1] 2

McKinneyMike
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I am getting curious about the 6.5-284 and considering building one. What original cartridge is it based upon? 308? This maybe the next rifle I build as it seems to be a killer long range round that will get me out past my 25-06 and hopefully less or similar recoil. I was thinking along the lines of 28" barrel and a slower powder (4831SC ?) to start loading. I had been kicking around a 260 Rem chambering, but the ballistics of the 6.5 sound like that they are just a little bit better for longer range shooting.

3fingervic
02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't know much about this round. I do know it's case was for a 284win that was necked down to 6.5. I also know that a lot of people consider it a barrel burner (1000 rounds) from what I hear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5-284

McKinneyMike
02-17-2010, 09:31 PM
1000 rds is plenty good enough for me if it is a real shooter. I am also considering a build using the 260AI, but the 6.5 ballistics seem to be just a smig better at distance. I have never had a wildcat cartridge setup before and want to try at least one before I can not see well enough to shoot ;)

DGD6MM
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
They ARE barrel burners. There are plenty of other cartridge's that will give better all around performance.

Slowpoke Slim
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
I have one. I load H 4831SC in mine, Lapua brass, Federal gold medal match primers, and Berger VLD match 140 gr bullets. I'm pretty happy with it.

You might also look at the 6.5 x 47 Lapua, not to be confused with the old 6x47 (222 Rem mag necked up to 6mm-I have one of those too).

Waceyf
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
They ARE barrel burners. There are plenty of other cartridge's that will give better all around performance.

DGD6MM,
What would you recommend with better all around performance??? What else has the performance of this caliber with longer lasting barrel life without sacrificeng your shoulder? Sorry not trying to steal this thread.

Fjold
02-18-2010, 12:15 AM
1000 rds is plenty good enough for me if it is a real shooter. I am also considering a build using the 260AI, but the 6.5 ballistics seem to be just a smig better at distance. I have never had a wildcat cartridge setup before and want to try at least one before I can not see well enough to shoot ;)

It's not a wildcat. Savage makes the rifles and Norma & Nosler make factory ammunition for it.

McKinneyMike
02-18-2010, 06:25 AM

It's not a wildcat. Savage makes the rifles and Norma & Nosler make factory ammunition for it.

Sorry, I was referring to the 260AI in regards to the wildcat cartridge :)

McKinneyMike
02-18-2010, 06:37 AM

From what i have read, this is one of the finest long range cartridges, with outstanding accuracy compared to many similar ones. I have read that barrels may go as early as 800 rounds and some go easily to 2000 rounds, with slightly reduced accuracy towards the end. I have a fine shooting 25-06 with Shilen 26" barrel, but was looking for a flat shooting short cased round with good velocity and flat trajectory. This seems to be the cat's meow for all of these criteria. I am open to other suggestions, as I want to build a new rifle in a caliber other than the norm, but with great characteristics in terms of flat trajectory and good impact out to 1000+ yds. I want to keep recoil to a manageable level too.

3fingervic
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
The 6.5-284 seems to be the trend in the long range target game. I think you would be very happy with the performance of this caliber.

BobT
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned if talking about hunting rifles the only fly on the 6.5-.284 is that (in my personal experience) it can be a picky eater! I have a Broughton barreled Savage that has had 87 rounds down the pipe all of them were fired looking for an accurate hunting load. The accuracy is certainly there, 140 grain Berger VLD's will go into tiny groups but I was looking for a load for the 125 grain Nosler Partition. It doesn't look like it will happen any time soon in this barrel but that is OK. As far as barrel life, if you are talking about a hunting rifle, how many people actually shoot in excess of 1000 rounds through the barrel anyway? When mine goes I'll just re-chamber it to .264 Winchester Magnum. This is actually my second 6.5-.284, my first one was built on a Ruger 1V stainless action, it shot great as well but had a heavier barrel so I sent it to live with my shooting buddy.

Bob

McKinneyMike
02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
For me this will be a long range steel shooter for the most part. I would hope to do some hunting with it, but that is not my primary desire for this rifle. Its a hobby for me so if the barrel only last say 1000-1200 rounds, that is still a lot of shooting and reloading for one rifle ;D

3fingervic
02-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Post some pics when you get that bad boy together.

Fjold
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Sorry, I was referring to the 260AI in regards to the wildcat cartridge :)

Ah yes, my misunderstanding, sorry.

As far as I'm concerned if talking about hunting rifles the only fly on the 6.5-.284 is that (in my personal experience) it can be a picky eater! I have a Broughton barreled Savage that has had 87 rounds down the pipe all of them were fired looking for an accurate hunting load. The accuracy is certainly there, 140 grain Berger VLD's will go into tiny groups but I was looking for a load for the 125 grain Nosler Partition. It doesn't look like it will happen any time soon in this barrel but that is OK. As far as barrel life, if you are talking about a hunting rifle, how many people actually shoot in excess of 1000 rounds through the barrel anyway? When mine goes I'll just re-chamber it to .264 Winchester Magnum. This is actually my second 6.5-.284, my first one was built on a Ruger 1V stainless action, it shot great as well but had a heavier barrel so I sent it to live with my shooting buddy.

Bob

Mine&#39;s just the opposite. I have a Krieger barrel and with minimal effort I have found loads with every bullet that I&#39;ve tried so far. The 100 grain Nos BT&#39;s, 120 grain TSX, 140 grain Hornady SSt&#39;s and the Lapua 139 grain Scenars will shoot 5 shot sub <1/2MOA groups when I do my part.

pa_wdchuckhuntr
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
What about a 6.5x55AI? or a 6.5-06(AI)? Either would be a little more wildcat-ish than a 6.5-284.

I just built a 6.5x55 varmint rifle and I&#39;m kinda wishing I had AI&#39;d it right off the bat for something a little different.

Waceyf
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
excuse my ignorance but what does AI mean?

McKinneyMike
02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
excuse my ignorance but what does AI mean?

Ackley Improved created by P.O. Ackley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.O._Ackley

phirebug
02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
When mine goes I&#39;ll just re-chamber it to .264 Winchester Magnum.
Bob

is it just the throat that goes or does does the bore/rifling also wear prematurely?
...I&#39;m not second-guessing you, it&#39;s just you brought up a point I had never considered before and so now I&#39;m curious.

BobT
02-19-2010, 03:24 AM
I suppose the whole bore wears to some extent but the vast majority of the erosion takes place in the throat, I have rechambered several barrels that were "shot out" and shot several more accurate rounds through them. I got a used Hart benchrest barrel once that was originally a 6mmPPC it had been set back and rechambered at least twice, Lord knows how many rounds were fired to require that! I cut the shank off, threaded it for a Whitworth Mauser action I had laying around and chambered it in 6mm/06. I was on a quest to see just how fast I could push an 80 grain bullet with the then new moly coating. I don&#39;t recall the exact round count (around 500) but the accuracy was great, then I rechambered it again to 6mm Mach 4, I roasted it pretty quick after that but I sure had a lot of fun with a barrel I got for twenty bucks!

I fully expect to get at least 1800 accurate rounds out of the current barrel between the 6.5-.284 and the .264WM.

[/quote]
Mine&#39;s just the opposite. I have a Krieger barrel and with minimal effort I have found loads with every bullet that I&#39;ve tried so far. The 100 grain Nos BT&#39;s, 120 grain TSX, 140 grain Hornady SSt&#39;s and the Lapua 139 grain Scenars will shoot 5 shot sub <1/2MOA groups when I do my part.
[/quote]

Mine is a Broughton 8 twist 5c, the best it will do so far with the 125 Noslers is right around .700 for 5 shots at 100 yards. I haven&#39;t given up yet, I&#39;m just waiting on more GM210M primers to show up!

Bob

3fingervic
02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
1800 rounds That&#39;s a couple months worth of shooting. ;D Seriously, that doesn&#39;t seem too bad to me.